Any Tips for Campin with Kittens/Cats?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Any Tips for Campin with Kittens/Cats?

Postby Todah Tear » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Coming up in November, I plan on going on a little camping retreat. I want to take my kittens (Triumphant and Victorious). Do you have any tips for preparing felines for camping. What has worked for you?

I found this on Amazon.com. I think that I will let them play in this indoors. Then graduate them to the outside in it at home. When I take them camping, they can play in this w/o wondering off. I just don't want them picking up any ticks, chiggers, or fleas.

http://www.amazon.com/ABO-Gear-Happy-Habitat-Indoor/dp/B002KWHE1E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287527622&sr=8-5

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm

I would start them on Front Line or Revolution. Once a month topical application and it protects against ticks, fleas, heart worm and a host of other things.

Its not cheap but definately worth the piece of mind.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Phooey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:07 pm

We are trying to teach MacKerricher (the kitty in the avatar) to walk with a lead. She has a little harness that she does "ok" with but we found her as a feral at MacKerricher State Park and she needs a lot of patience and TLC so we are going very slow with her. :worship:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby Todah Tear » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

jss06 wrote:I would start them on Front Line or Revolution. Once a month topical application and it protects against ticks, fleas, heart worm and a host of other things.

Its not cheap but definately worth the piece of mind.

I do used Hartz topical and something the Vet gave me on them.

I considered a leash. One of my coworkers told me he took his cat for a walk on a leach and someone's dog started barking. His cat then used him as a tree trunk and climbed all the way up to his head...w/claws.

Good luck with your leash training. I think I'll start mine off with one slowly at home too.

We humans and our pets :lol: .

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby planovet » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Todah Tear wrote:We humans and our pets :lol: .

:yes: $> :D
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby asianflava » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Shelly (nutmegjoe) camps with her cats, 2 of em. Has this award winning idea to put a door between the cabin and galley so that she can keep the litter box away from the sleeping area.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:12 pm

I camp with Churro - a feral cat - and my dogs. In the Sunspot, Churro has a soft crate (20in wide x 28in long into which I can put a small litter box.) I use Swheatscoop clumping litter which has the best odor control I've found, and since I mostly keep the camper open (windows and door screen), there's plenty of air circulation.

Rather than the ABOgear play yard, which doesn't look real secure to me, Churro uses one of my dog expens (although not at the same time as the dogs!) He loves to be outside on nice days, and when it rains, he stays in either the camper or the car in his crate.

I have two kinds of dog expens - a standard wire one, with a top, and a soft one (canvas with mesh side panels and a mest top/bottom.) Churro is safe and secure in either of them. This is an example of the soft sided one, which only weighs 4 lbs. It's the same type of material and mesh as Churro's soft crate. This is a 21 day listing, but you can find them on eBay for half the listed price (or about $25) for the small or medium version. If this listing expires, search ebay for "soft exercise pen".

I have a harness for Churro and a lead, but honestly we don't do too much walking together except with me holding him. But he travels and camps like a trouper. ;)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Return to Lady Teardroppers