Blanket? Sleeping Bag?

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Blanket? Sleeping Bag?

Postby mollyteardrop » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:29 pm

I am on the search for the perfect blanket for my TD. I have tried sleeping bags (too big), looked at comforters and quilts (too big) and wonder if I am going to have to break down and make my own quilt. Any suggestions?
What size do you recommend (my TD is a 4X6). Thanks for the help!
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Have you looked at twin sizes? For me, it would depend on how many are under the thing and how much they toss and turn. Bedspreads are bigger than comforters/coverlets.

For my VW, I found a large single sleeping bag. It's bigger than an single, but not a double. It's twenty years old now and I'd like to replace it, but haven't found another that size. I may be making my own.

For the Puck, I use a twin down comforter.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby mollyteardrop » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:50 pm

There are two of us and the single sleeping bag is too warm for summer. I thought about a twin size down comforter with a duvet....just need to check measurements. The blankets we have been using are double size and too big, too much bunching up! Thanks for the help!
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Alleged User » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:00 pm

I'm on the hunt for a throw blanket, like you'd keep on your living room couch. Their dimensions are about perfect for a TD, as they're smaller than a twin blanket, and they tend to be nice and light, perfect for summer camping. Bonus is that most of them are meant to be decorative, especially the tapestry-like ones, so they come in all sorts of cool, woodsy or lodgy designs, or just about any other theme you can think of. Just a thought.
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby rebapuck » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:07 pm

My local JoAnn's has a large selection of the polartec fleeces. Maybe you couls find one to match. It'd be easy to just hem to size. Double up for winter.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:34 pm

:thumbsup: 60" Polar Fleece and no real need to hem it. I made my own quilt and curtains. Sadly only have one curtain left! Time to make another this winter!

Oh and girls Doug makes a quilt for each trailer!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:31 pm

We have a fleece blanket and a quilt fitted sheets and the foam mattress is queen size. Nancy put the compass rose quilt together.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 am

so far i have been using all the old blankets from around the house in my tear. would love to get something that fits and looks nice.
ratkity is bringing some unfinished quilts over, hopeing to find something that will work nicely inside the tear.

but i don't know why i never thought of the fleece's before. those are warm and so easy to make blankets with.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Jazzy Lynn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I bought just over 2 yards of fleece at Wally World for around $10. It's the perfect size for my 4x8 tear. I keep an old throw in the tear too. With the two blankets and the dog, I've never been cold.

Barbara
Today is forever!
Jazzy Lynn
Teardrop Master

Postby mollyteardrop » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:58 pm

I just found a light weight down 'throw' on Eddie Bauer that is the right size because there is no extra for covering the sides of a bed. I am going to make my own duvet to cover it. Will post pics when I get it all together. I think this is what I was looking for.....I hope hope hope.
mollyteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby T@Baker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:08 pm

We have a T@B, and I convert the bed to a couch rather than leaving it as a bed. However, we use a Travasak and love it. Ours is a queen, but I think they come in smaller sizes. It has a winter side and a summer side, and what I like the best is that the sheets are removable for washing. If you feel confined in a bag, you can leave the sides unzipped, and you still have the sheet.
Crystal -
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says, "Oh, crap. She's up."
T@Baker
Teardrop Master

Postby stumphugger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:25 pm

I have a Coleman set up. It has a sheet and a thin fleece blanket that zip together at the bottom. The corners are fitted, and can be adjusted by pulling cords to tighten up the fit. I got this about ten years ago.

When I washed it in my top loader, it killed the washer. It goes OK in the front loader though.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:53 am

We use an opened sleeping bag, but ours is 60in wide inside
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dontpanik » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 am

We have a fleece blanket I made, the homemade one where there's no sewing and you just tie two pieces of fleece together like fringe. It'g big enough to fit on top of the air matress, but not go down the sides and decorative to stay on all the time. Darned if I can find a single pic of it though :thinking:

Here's one I found online:
dontpanik
Teardrop Builder

Postby Verna » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:21 pm

I just came back from a week in the UP of Michigan. I purchased a down alternative Blanket, queen size, before I left from WalMart for a bit over $30.

I love it!!! Since I slept on the twin bed (my sister had the full bed), I just folded the down alternative blanket in half. I was toasty warm!!! It's lightweight, without all of the bulk of a heavy blanket. (It also doesn't have the smell of the real down comforters that I have had in the past.)

I use one at home year round. It's light enough to be just right in the summer, and definitely warm enough for the winter under the winter down alternative bedspread.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers