Garment Construction

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Garment Construction

Postby rebapuck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm

I am making little dresses for Africa. I have a simple jumper like pattern. The lower edge of the interfacing is about 2 inches below the armhole, comes around the front and back and swoops up toward the neckline and back down to the other side. Typical interfacing shape.

Is there any reason I should not recut the pattern to go straight across the bodice from side to side? It would be easier to finish the lower edge if it was not curved.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Re: Garment Construction

Postby nevadatear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Not really. Just saves fabric the other way.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks. It's been decades since I made any clothing. I'm doing this project as a way to cull my fabric stash of unwanted stuff. Like from 20 yrs ago. You know, the "what was I thinking?"
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby nevadatear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 pm

As long as its not double knit. Got a quilt made by relatives from the 70s, before the return of cotton, made of double knit. Some kind of heavy, scratchy, and uuugggly all rolled into one. But it is warm!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:41 am

Hi! if you are sewing for free and to use your material and (I have a bunch) then make the clothing as simple as you can the receivers of the clothing would not know what the pattern said. To do use your creative mind to fashion it so that you can sew 2 in the time it would take to sew one if the result is a beautiful dress that is worn by someone who needs it, I would say just make sure it is sewn well and the seams are not likely to come undone or shred. I know that I have approached sewing like cooking being inventive when necessary. You will do fine. :applause:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Yes, this is charity sewing. Little Dresses for Africa. The project sends dresses to little girls who have nothing to their name. Instructions etc for making dresses out of pillowcases are on their website. Nice idea, but pillowcases are not plentiful, and in the end you have a little girl wearing... a pillowcase.

I figure I can make a real dress in just slightly more time, and I get rid of material I don't want.....so I get to buy more!!
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Mary C » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Judy You will do fine and gosh pillowcases have become expensive you can find material real cheep sometimes I am impressed. but I know that you do this fine. Good luck.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Hummm trying to remember but I am thinking, if it is what I am thinking, that the curve on the bodice interfacing has a bias and just fits better. You can probably still do it straight across as long as the dress does not billow slightly in front. Got a picture :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rebapuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 pm

I've made a couple now that are straight across. It seems fine. The dresses I'm currently making are a jumper style and in a child size 6. No curves at that age.

I believe the dresses will be fine. I want to make some bigger sizes when I find a simple pattern I like. A bigger size will probably entail a zipper, ties or buttonholes, but may make better use of yardage. I may have more questions later.

Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Return to Lady Teardroppers