Working on the Decor-Part One

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Working on the Decor-Part One

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:04 pm

*******As of 22 Oct 2013, I messed up my photo imaging cache of photos, all the links broke and vanished, with every posted photo, on this and other sites I frequent---GONE! :cry: So all the edits you see here in previous posts are from my replacing the photos. AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!**********

I finally started working on the inside "theme" or "decor" for our teardrop. I've been dragging around a Route 66 sign and expensive tapestry fabric for the past 15, 20 years (couldn't decide what to do with it) and I guess I'll use it in the teardrop. Bob and I love old signs, diners, gas stations, 1950 and earlier architecture, etc., and both of us have traveled bits and pieces of 66 before it became a coast to coast tourist trap.

I decided to make this montage, using the sign and images I found in books, and off the net. Used images ranging from the 1920's through the 50's, and tried to arrange them so that the writing/printing on them was visible, the image identifiable. Also used pieces of a 1933 map that was damaged and didn't have much collector value. I figured the plexiglass would reflect the light from the windows, making the interior of the trailer seem larger. I'm thinking I might need to take the montage out and weather the sign a bit, it's glued down pretty tight though!

As for the tapestry fabric, I think I'll make pillow shams out of it. For the curtains, I have some route 66 vintage map fabric that I've decided I'll make roll/fold up curtains to be held with velcro-ed or buckled black nylon webbing. I have dark green canvas, and/or denim fabric to back the curtains and make them non see through. Not sure how I'll go about it. Will get started on the bedding and curtains this weekend, will post the photos.
Last edited by Backroads4me on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Working on the decor

Postby Maureenm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Nice! :thumbsup:
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Very pretty.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:07 am

I forgot to mention, I placed the images so that they followed the path of Route 66, IL and MO in the upper right hand corner, then downward through the states ending with California in the upper left. Also included old gas advertising, roadmap covers, as well as the postcard views.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby deleted » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:27 am

Love it! It makes me want to make one filled with pictures of the places I want to visit. Kind of like a montage bucket list.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Glad I dropped by , that is really cool. I love the ideas and cant wait to see it. in person!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Everyone, thank you for the kind words. I got the montage hung on the wall, used "Industrial Strength" velcro I found, sold by the yard, at a local fabric store. I previously bought some great 14 oz. heavyweight denim (on Ebay, great price, couldn't find it locally--just the lightweight stuff)---will be making an upholstery-like cover for the teardrop mattress. Since the dogs will be sleeping inside with us, we're not going to use regular bedding. I bought a moisture resistant mattress cover, to use under the denim and we'll be using our two identical navy blue Coleman sleeping bags (can be used singly or zipped together for coziness ;) My pile of stuff:

Bob insisted on regular pillows (I was going to use something smaller), but will include a throw pillow. Right now I'm leaning towards making pillow shams out of the denim and using the Route 66 tapestry fabric for the extra pillow. The map fabric is for the curtains, I've got a few different options for that.

Here's a close up of a cartoon on the montage:

Last edited by Backroads4me on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Another couple of close views of the montage---I've always liked the softer, pastel hues of old timey postcards:

Last edited by Backroads4me on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:39 pm

:applause: Great ideas! :applause:

Of course, if you use maps and "Route 66" prints, you'll be expected to visit all those places! :lol: We'll be watching! ;)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 pm

S. Heisley wrote::applause: Great ideas! :applause:

Of course, if you use maps and "Route 66" prints, you'll be expected to visit all those places! :lol: We'll be watching! ;)

Hi Sharon,

This is more "deja vu" decorating for us. Bob has traveled the Chicago through Missouri old alignment 66 numerous times while on various mineral specimin collecting trips. I've also traveled that route from Oklahoma City to Chicago (while in the military during the 70's) and Barstow westward in the 80's. Difference is we didn't do it together and we both missed the Kansas, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona parts. Also, it was just old 66, and not a tourist destination like it is now. Don't know if we'd want to go see what's left of it.

Any time we go anywhere, whether it's a camping trip or not, we like to take the old roads or original alignments of what was then the main highway. I've got quite a few pre-interstate road maps to check those out. We take a lot of photos of old architecture, signs, anything interesting for research purposes for our model train hobbies (he's HO, I'm the nscale person). Maybe the next decor theme could be the "Yellowstone" or "Lincoln" Highways, maybe Route 12 from Chicago to the Northwest, or possibly just pinecones and evergreen trees :lol:
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Like it!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Here's a little montage I made up of the alternative route themes I thought about:

I would love, love, love to travel the entire "Yellowstone Highway". That route passes through the town we live in, and there's a few remnants of it that still exist (old tourist camp cabin, now in the local museum), supposedly some signage residue painted on a rock just outside our town (now on private property). Route 12 is dear to my heart as I've traveled the entire length of it from Chicago through Wisconsin, and lived near it in a couple of places over the years. Looks like the Yellowstone and 12 may be one and the same in some sections. The Lincoln Highway looks interesting. On one of these route's sites, they had a slogan "Friends don't let friends drive the Interstate". Good bumper sticker material there.(IMO :lol: )

Other theme ideas were vintage gas station and diners, the flying winged Red Mobil horse, western/horses, vintage trains, lodge (with heavy emphisis on pine trees and cones). About now, any of the guys reading this (if they've gotten this far) are probably rolling their eyes :roll: , but I wasn't going with Bob's personal favorite--just throw the stuff in the trailer and go. Nah :thumbdown:
Last edited by Backroads4me on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Backroads4me wrote:Here's a little montage I made up of the alternative route themes I thought about:

I would love, love, love to travel the entire "Yellowstone Highway". That route passes through the town we live in, and there's a few remnants of it that still exist (old tourist camp cabin, now in the local museum), supposedly some signage residue painted on a rock just outside our town (now on private property). Route 12 is dear to my heart as I've traveled the entire length of it from Chicago through Wisconsin, and lived near it in a couple of places over the years. Looks like the Yellowstone and 12 may be one and the same in some sections. The Lincoln Highway looks interesting. On one of these route's sites, they had a slogan "Friends don't let friends drive the Interstate". Good bumper sticker material there.(IMO :lol: )

Other theme ideas were vintage gas station and diners, the flying winged Red Mobil horse, western/horses, vintage trains, lodge (with heavy emphisis on pine trees and cones). About now, any of the guys reading this (if they've gotten this far) are probably rolling their eyes :roll: , but I wasn't going with Bob's personal favorite--just throw the stuff in the trailer and go. Nah :thumbdown:

Oh, you are making me antsy. I've got a hankering to go up and across that way....Maybe next year, dunno. :thinking:
Whatever you do, have fun!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 am

:applause: :applause: :applause: Wonderful! Wish I could do all those rts. Itchy feet here now. :) To age the sign you might take some rust paint and a sponge! 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Backroads4me » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

Got the bedding sewn up today. Bob helped me get the mattress out of the teardrop and into the house where I could work on it easier. Didn't use any pattern, just eyeballed, measured and cut the denim for the mattress cover. Have one of those Black and Decker electric scissor things, which is better for my Carpel Tunneled wrist and hand. Used wide elastic to put in the corners.

Last edited by Backroads4me on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers