Working on the Decor--Part 4

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

Re: Working on the Decor--Part 4

Postby RioWilson » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 am

Deb your paint looks great! Paint is on our "to-do" list but we have at least 3 more planned gatherings, so it may not happen before them. We have the same issues with the doors. These posts are making me want to go out to see how easy a flip would be. Hope to see you at Indian Trails in Oct.! - Mike and Michelle
RioWilson
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 am

RioWilson wrote:Deb your paint looks great! Paint is on our "to-do" list but we have at least 3 more planned gatherings, so it may not happen before them. We have the same issues with the doors. These posts are making me want to go out to see how easy a flip would be. Hope to see you at Indian Trails in Oct.! - Mike and Michelle

We'll be there---have had our site reserved since February! :thumbsup: Still have to finish the painting and the other projects, but will have to wait until this Wed.(start of my weekend). Super busy, not enough help to go around at work (especially this weekend) has already ground me into the concrete, and the weekend isn't even over yet :thumbdown: Got my fabric for the duvet cover I'm going to make to cover the old faded sleeping bag (another project). I hope to get the new version of my luggable loo room (yet another project) :thinking: done before the TCT gathering.

Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to work I go :(
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Good news, :) got one screen door done and temporarily installed (have to add tie-ups). Bad news :cry: my trusty, 40 year old war horse of a sewing machine may have finally sewed it's last mission. Over the years, I've had to get it repaired a time or two, due to my penchant for sewing heavier things than it was probably designed to do. Lots of broken needles, needle plate covers, even holes in the bobbin carrier under the plate. Oh well, I'll take it in for a repair estimate, meanwhile---here's my screen door:

Left photo--- I used the nylon on the bottom of door to help keep feet off the screen. Second photo---Somehow I got the screen door a little wider on the top and it's a bit short on the bottom! Third photo---after putting in the white stiff Styrofoam first, then the mattress and bedding---the zippers (on the bottom) are in the perfect place to find from the inside (or outside). I used two sleeping bag zippers (cut down to size), both start on the bottom of the door and go up each side. Got them from JoAnn's fabric with 50% off coupons. Second photo also shows a peek of the unfinished cabinet and door painting project. Guess I'll get that done while I'm in sewing machine-less limbo.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:23 pm

It looks good! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rebapuck » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:08 pm

I bought a Singer 301A for two reasons. 1) I wanted it and 2) it's suppose to be good at heavy material. Ever tried one, anyone?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby honeask » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:39 pm

I had one and passed it on to my DIL, it still is great but I had a newer machine and a serger. I needed to thin the herd. I think you will like it. I tend to baby my machines and every once in a while I search for an industrial used machine but they are always too much to spend for the amount of use I would get.
Sandy

We're not here for a long time, just here for a good time.
The stars at night are big and bright, (clap) (clap) (clap) (clap) DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS.
honeask
Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Got my old Singer Stylist 534 back from the shop---replaced a couple of busted gears, got the overhaul treatment. Surprised the heck out of me that my machine had plastic, or what was called back then (circa 1975) "Mylar" gears. Sure got a lot of denim sewn and heavy duty use out of it. Will continue to use it for same, but will try not to beat it up (hitting the gas pedal and forgetting it's not an industrial machine). At one time I sewed tent floors into tents for a major camping products company.

Meanwhile, I got the galley and the sleeping compartment painted---have to replace everything, will post photos. Bob put these peel and stick vinyl tiles in the floor of the galley---they were 38 cents each at Lowe's, we used 8 of them.

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Got all the painting done and everything back in the sleeping area. Will finish replacing the galley stuff tomorrow. Here's two versions of "before" (my original Route 66 theme, and the current décor):

And the "after"

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:41 pm

The cabinet end-----all that white is just crying out for some kind of embellishment, or art, or ????? I've got several decoupage ideas swirling in my head, somehow I want to work my O Winston Link copy of "Solitude Siding" into it. :thinking:

We may reconfigure the cabinet doors to open up, instead of slide. That's a project for after the camping season or next year.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:42 pm

It looks nice. I especially like the curtains. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Galley is done and everything put back in. Here's what the galley looked like before:

While the wood had been stained by the builder, I wanted a glossier, wipe-able surface. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I could have re-stained and applied polyurethane, but decided to go the glossy paint route. The color is Dutch Boy's "Single Malt" (it's looking a bit lighter than it actually is due to the camera flash).

I have three more projects I hope to get done before the TCTeardrops Gathering east of Portage, Wisconsin, the first weekend of October. My top duvet cover, the other zippered window screen and the new version of my luggable loo/changing room. I'll post them in a new thread "Working on the Décor---Part 5.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:19 pm

I can see the shine. It looks good and will serve you much better. :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Lady Teardroppers