My first trip!

This is where the gals can have their very own discussions...

My first trip!

Postby dreamofcolors » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 am

Well, I finally got to break in my new teardrop. I picked her up from the builder in November, but with cold weather and my insane schedule I wasn't able to take her out until this week.

What a great trip! I stayed close to home, a state park an hour and a half away, and had a great time. The weather was incredible, the camper was perfect, and I wish I was still there sleeping on the banks of a river.

I made a list of things I need to take with me next time, and improvements to make to my camper, but so far so good. I am still lacking in galley organization. I need to figure that out a bit more. I think I'm going to save more spaces for groceries, etc. because I had so much "stuff" in my bins there was nowhere to put food, etc.

I also need a saw or hatchet and a few more camping supplies like that. But all in all, an amazing maiden voyage!

Now I get to plan my next adventure!

dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Re: My first trip!

Postby tlsallada » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:50 pm

I can't wait until our weather finally clears here in Pennsylvania!! I envy you folks down south !!
tlsallada
Teardrop Builder

Postby felixx » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Well done ! That is tremendous!
felixx
Donating Member

Postby ae6black » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Just camped out for the first time this season in Pa. At 33 degree F, camping is certainly doable in a TD. Anything above 50 Degrees F I don't even bother with a heater, just a decent sleeping bag. Condensation on the windows really not much of a problem, guess i had the vents open enough to compensate. Had a good time. Admit I slept in before attacking the day and did some left over office work before getting to the planned events for the day.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby 39Ratrod » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:55 pm

That's so cool! Good for you!
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 pm

It's gonna be a great summer.... :beer:

Good campin' and good readin'. :thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:17 pm

dreamofcolors wrote:Well, I finally got to break in my new teardrop. I picked her up from the builder in November, but with cold weather and my insane schedule I wasn't able to take her out until this week.

What a great trip! I stayed close to home, a state park an hour and a half away, and had a great time. The weather was incredible, the camper was perfect, and I wish I was still there sleeping on the banks of a river.

I made a list of things I need to take with me next time, and improvements to make to my camper, but so far so good. I am still lacking in galley organization. I need to figure that out a bit more. I think I'm going to save more spaces for groceries, etc. because I had so much "stuff" in my bins there was nowhere to put food, etc.

I also need a saw or hatchet and a few more camping supplies like that. But all in all, an amazing maiden voyage!

Now I get to plan my next adventure!

Congratulations on your first trip! Yes, it takes some thought and time to get things best for your use. Having a note pad and pencil handy, to list what is still needed and what could make your trailer work better for you really helps.

Here's a tip on food storage that may be helpful: Get yourself a plastic Rubbermaid type of box that is large enough to carry your food and small enough so that you can carry your food box to store it in the car or trailer and in the bear box. Store your canned goods separately from your other foods because, as long as they aren't opened, they don't usually smell like food and, if you run out of space, they can be stored/locked up out of sight, in the back of your car, hidden under a blanket or towel. Also, canned goods will add a lot of weight to a carried box. If you really need your food handy, get or make a small table and put your food box on top of it when you're cooking. The ice chest should also be small enough to carry and store in the bear box. If you do that, you'll "bear-ly" have to think when you get to a campground with foraging four legged critters, be they raccoons or bears or....?.

Best Wishes for a bunch of wonderful camping trips!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:23 am

Sounds like you had a great first trip with your new TCTeardrop :thumbsup: What do you pull her with and how did she haul? I have to be careful and keep my lead foot off the gas pedal---mine pulls light as a feather (with a Dodge Dakota) and I'll forget she's back there! Took us a couple of trips or so, with a lot of note taking to figure out the logistics of what to take and where to keep it in the trailer. Everything has it's place now, and with the laminated print out of our camping list, it's easy to make sure we're ready to go--no more forgetting stuff!

Happy teardrop trails to you! :)
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:19 am

dreamofcolors wrote: I think I'm going to save more spaces for groceries, etc. because I had so much "stuff" in my bins there was nowhere to put food, etc.

Long ago by accident I adopted these Stanley black poly toolboxes as the dry box grocery container. They were a gift for my tools but I immediately put them to work as camping goodies. The best part is that when latched tight, they are critter proof.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby minstrel » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:21 am

Hooray for you! :applause: Your TD is really cute. I just made my first trip in February.....same as you just went to a campground about an hour and a half away. I have since been to one gathering down in the Arizona desert. Now already planning a long trip (2 weeks) to Alabama Gulf Coast in May. Doesn't take much to get the "bug."
Good luck to you in all of your travels and may the weather always be perfect!!!! :lol:
Liz
minstrel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreamofcolors » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:32 pm

tlsallada wrote:I can't wait until our weather finally clears here in Pennsylvania!! I envy you folks down south !!

The first night it hovered around freezing at night, but I was fine. The second night I slept with my windows open and during the day it was 80! Today it's rainy and 40 degrees, so I lucked out on the weather a few days ago.
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreamofcolors » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm

ae6black wrote:Just camped out for the first time this season in Pa. At 33 degree F, camping is certainly doable in a TD. Anything above 50 Degrees F I don't even bother with a heater, just a decent sleeping bag. Condensation on the windows really not much of a problem, guess i had the vents open enough to compensate. Had a good time. Admit I slept in before attacking the day and did some left over office work before getting to the planned events for the day.

Art

I don't have a heater, but 33F wasn't bad at all. It was about that cold the first night (maybe colder) and I just had two quilts and a dog near my feet to keep me warm. I didn't break into either of my extra blankets.
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreamofcolors » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Good ideas about food packing! The best thing about coming home from my camping trip was the only unpacking I had to do was loading my dirty laundry and dish towels into an empty IKEA bag and unloading my cooler. Even though I had to drive 30 minutes each way to where I store my teardrop, it was still easier to unpack than when I've gone tent camping in the time because everything got to store in the camper!

I'm going to love this!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreamofcolors » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Backroads4me wrote:Sounds like you had a great first trip with your new TCTeardrop :thumbsup: What do you pull her with and how did she haul? I have to be careful and keep my lead foot off the gas pedal---mine pulls light as a feather (with a Dodge Dakota) and I'll forget she's back there! Took us a couple of trips or so, with a lot of note taking to figure out the logistics of what to take and where to keep it in the trailer. Everything has it's place now, and with the laminated print out of our camping list, it's easy to make sure we're ready to go--no more forgetting stuff!

Happy teardrop trails to you! :)

I made lots of notes on my iPhone.

I tow with a 2013 Subaru Forrester (I have to borrow it from my mom... my 2013 Subaru Impreza can't tow, so we trade cars, though I may trade in my Impreza for an Outback this summer). It's hard not to get a lead foot with it! I try not to go above 60, but I often do.

Good idea on the laminated lists. When I do this a few more times I'm going to do that.
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby dreamofcolors » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:39 pm

minstrel wrote:Hooray for you! :applause: Your TD is really cute. I just made my first trip in February.....same as you just went to a campground about an hour and a half away. I have since been to one gathering down in the Arizona desert. Now already planning a long trip (2 weeks) to Alabama Gulf Coast in May. Doesn't take much to get the "bug."
Good luck to you in all of your travels and may the weather always be perfect!!!! :lol:
Liz

Oh, man, I have so many dream trips planned... I want to either do a 2-3 trip out west to Montana/Wyoming, a 2-3 trip to the southwest and go to the North Rim of the Canyon and Bryce and Zion, or a week or two trip to New England/Maine. We'll see if any of those happen... I am going to Wisconsin for a long weekend in June for a conference, but no plans beyond that.
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Lady Teardroppers