DEPOT

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

DEPOT

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:57 pm

WELL IT'S APPROPRIATE THAT ON THE 1ST I STARTED THE DEPOT BUILD. Damn cap lock :NC

Well the next 8x20 has been pulled close to in place. I have left enough room for ladders an work area but up close enough to get power. Was fortunate enough to get a great deal of the lumber at a huge discount. I had my 5x10 flatbed trailer stacked full and level with the top of the side racks. Was a bit concerned with the tires but all was well on the hour long drive back to the caboose. Sunday my 15 year old helper and I stacked the lumber high and tight in the implement shed that was just built. Thanks to the land lady for letting me borrow the space. We have all but eliminated the rats nest of fallen tees and debris behind the Depot's parking site. We cut about 2 ricks of fire wood and a 5x10 trailer rounded full of small brush and limbs. I will cut up some of the little stuff for kindling and the rest will provide a few nice fall campfires. This morning after removing the trash, my water tank and other debris we ripped off the first distorted layer of old decking and we went to work. I jigged up and built the first roof truss. I still have Monday as a play day so perhaps now that I have the first truss figured out I can complete the rest Tomorrow (MON) . A hot bath and a cold beer is in order right now and I think I will watch the setting sun and the fire and wait for the chickens to go to bed. Have some pics Tuesday..
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Re: DEPOT

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:35 am

Monday was a run here and run there day. Was out of this and that and had to make the 1 1/2 hour round trip to the house in a house for plywood cut offs to make the gussets. While out I went further south and made an appointment to get my Suzuki fixed and took the land ladies truck to my buddies muffler shop for some exhaust repair. Didn't even get back to the caboose until 5 PM. Went up the hill and took time to get the little 8N running. ( had to clean each and every battery and solenoid contact to finally find the offending connection) Finally got to play with the trusses and did get all the gusset plates (40 of them) cut and ready to install. This head start will make short work of getting the trusses completed this coming weekend. I should be setting walls by Saturday on a newly installed deck. Shocker 3/4 4x8 treated plywood $30.00 + a sheet ! OUCH!

Damn hurricanes anyway :x

Got dark and before I knew it, it was too late to take some good pics so they are still to follow another day :NC
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:38 am

bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:37 pm

RAINY AND CRAPPY ALL DAY :(

So I took advantage and drove 112 miles round trip but got 120 free sheets of 14" x 8' 1/2" plywood. I priced the 5 sheets of 3/4 plywood I needed for the floor $156.00 and change :frightened:

Work was about to toss out 300 or more sheets of this stuff so I intercepter what my single axle flat bed dare to carry. Our driver Charlie told me he had 2 sheets of 4' x 8' cement board he had no use for so I took the long way home and collected these as well on the way back to the Caboose from work.

I intend to herringbone one layer and reverse the pattern for the second layer. As the 4x4 supports run front to back on 24" centers. Tis leaves the 2 laters bridging only about 19" and will have the voids fully filled to add support this will be more than sturdy. The voids will be filled with the 4" polyisocyanurat foil faced 4x8 sheets I got from one of the neighbors (40 sheets for $25.00) :thumbsup:

I haven't gotten the bill on the salvage framing lumber but I am expecting the trailer load to be about $50.00

To date 6 days into the build have all the framing, floor, and probably enough to sheath the roof and the build cost is just about $100.00 in material and probably $30.00 in gasoline to collect these items. Who says tinys are expensive. :beer:

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 am

Well the trusses are all built and at the ready....

Image parts in the jig

Image the gussets

Image right and left end trusses

Image remaining framing lumber after the trusses were all built
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:31 am

The trusses were built on Sunday and Monday I completed the tear off of the old weathered deck. Had to replace the outboard 4x4's as they did not appear to be very trustworthy. As I tossed one aside it snapped right in half. I guess the replacement was a good call. I set back with a cold one and studied the floor design and was a bit concerned that the entire weight of the building was resting on 4 heavy gage metal wings on each side. I decided that blocking was needed to give some assist to the outboard rails. So I am off to investigate what hangers or reinforcement plates would be best to utilize to offer a bit firmer connection than relying on just a few nails.

I'll snap some more pics as the blocking is installed.

arrows show the little wings that would be supporting the walls. :frightened:
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels