Anyone converted a U-Haul or like truck?

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Anyone converted a U-Haul or like truck?

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 am

Just looking into the future. I'm looking to probably retire in around a decade, and have been doing some daydreaming. Like, buying an old Diesel uhaul type truck and then learning the guts, fixing it up, and then making the cargo department livable. I've seen these trucks go with 100,000K on them for ~$9k CAD in fairly good condition.

The TT I'm building is good enough for adventures now, but more extended on the road living might be best to have something a little more serious. I was thinking a trailer behind which I could put another vehicle on for doing more serious back-country stuff too, most of those cargo box trucks have more than enough tow weight to handle that I'd think.

So, has anyone thought about it, or done it?
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Re: Anyone converted a U-Haul or like truck?

Postby Treeview » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm doing that right now!

I bought a '97 Super Duty with a 16' Grumman Olson box. The guy I bought it from con etr the front 4' and the attic to small living quarters

6kw genset
Threesay fridge
Furnace
2 burner range
Water heater
Shower
20 gallon fresh water and 30
Gallon greg water
Ports potty

The back 22' were storage. Just like a uHaul. I've installed r15 foam
Sheathing for the walls, r21 in. Ceiling. FRP panels for ceiling and plywood walls

The garage door is gone. I walked off the rear and installed a preying steel
Door from the Habitat Reuse store. On the right side I put in two tip out rv windless then used cedar to cover the outside

Its liveable as is. I'm going to add at least one large window to the sidewalls. Eventually modernize the D.C. Power system to a. Ether charge controller etc. Solar panels in due time

I found an aluminum towndolly in great shape. Surge bf
Takes on the dolly. A Chevrolet Tracker 4wd will be my dinghy. I just installed a 2" receiver hitch. A roof rack was fabricated yesterday. To morrow I'll. Omg it on

I think
That the Uhaul type box is a great base for a build. One with a door on the front right side would be ideal. Mine doesn't have that.

Straight flat walls. Solid box construction. Not prone to road flexing and seam leaks
Like RVs.

At the end of the month I'll be on my first long trip. Minneapolis to Columbus Ohio. I'll. E looping up to Indiana and Michigan to scavenge the rv surplus stores for windows and other bits

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:41 am

Working on it ......viewtopic.php?f=48&t=67781
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:20 am

That sounds pretty awesome Bob. I actually also thought it might be fun to 'stealth' it a bit, keep the rollup door and set a proper door behind, paint it like a service truck or something. That way you could bunk out in a parking lot somewhere quietly if needed. Solar panels on the roof, with maybe a hatch for maintenance, or even just setting up a chair up there if you like. you wouldn't be able to easily see the panels from the ground.

The only other concern I had was the flooring in those Uhaul trucks.. steel or heavy aluminum sheets. I assume those are removable. Or maybe you could drill and tap some holes in them and bolt your stuff down that way.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Treeview » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:33 am

My new project is NOT the Toybox in my signature. That one has FRP walls and
Ceiling. The floor is rugged aluminum extrusions

My current project has oak flooring. Full 1" thick white oak screwed to the frame cross members
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm

THE ALUMINUM FLOOR AND SIDES IN THE FLEA MARKET FLIVER CREATE A DEAFENING RATTLE WHEN ON THE ROAD.

Oops cap lock alert.

I still have about 800 sq ft of 1 1/2 insulated Zip panel. It will be pieced in to make a floor and the sides offering an R 8 insulation value that will be added to the foam I have already placed in the walls between the ribs. I feel this addition will significantly soften the road noise. I used it in the house in a house build as flooring over the cold concrete floor and it was one of the best things I have ever done.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby coyote » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:51 am

i have a friend who has a "potato chip/bread " delivery type truck and he loves it. He'chopped the top a few inches. It looks neat. And he's toured the U.S. in it and loves it. Claims the 4 cyl. diesel/4 speed is bullet proof, reliable, good m.p.g. He has several seats set up to r & r if friends want to go along for a trip.(I'd think the view from the back would not be so hot), but, he loves it. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:01 am

I am removing the roll up door and installing a atrium door protected bt the security door when in transit. Everyone can set in back and wave at the tailgaters :rofl2:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:54 am

bobhenry wrote:I am removing the roll up door and installing a atrium door protected bt the security door when in transit. Everyone can set in back and wave at the tailgaters :rofl2:

Maybe get it set up as a one/way mirror if its legal. then your passengers can moon with impunity.
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels