Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby NevadaBlue » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Really beautiful place Bob. Send some snow here. We need it.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:17 pm

Well a severe back spasm had me down for 6 days. Doctors and a chiropractor and I am finally about 80 %.

Since I was on self imposed light duty I did find I was able to wrestle a few pieces of trim into place to finally finish out the garden window. I think a good year and a half looking at the half finished window was long enough.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Lovely!

I was admiring that window in one of the last pics, and didn't even notice anything missing. But for your own piece of mind, I'm glad it's finished now.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:06 am

Was feeling sorry for the wild birds and tossed out some petrified bread rolls out the back door if the caboose.

WRONG ! :frightened:

I don't know who scared who the worst me or the 45 pound mama raccoon that came by to gather the goodies. I am gonna reserve the treats for INSIDE the chicken pen. Those wild birds will just have to fly in to get their dinner.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Philip » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:51 am

bobhenry wrote:Was feeling sorry for the wild birds and tossed out some petrified bread rolls out the back door if the caboose.

WRONG ! :frightened:

I don't know who scared who the worst me or the 45 pound mama raccoon that came by to gather the goodies. I am gonna reserve the treats for INSIDE the chicken pen. Those wild birds will just have to fly in to get their dinner.

:lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Well round 7 of the war with the bushy tailed tree rats had a moment. I removed all the closed cell foam to investigate how the little shits continue to get in the ceiling. I found it :D

There was a tennis ball sized hole chewed thru the plywood box beam that lead out to the cupalo overhang. I decided to make their path real unpleasant so I filled a plastic squeeze bottle with fine ground cayenne pepper and squirted about 4 ounces in their pathway. I then screwed the hole over with a metal plate and some drywall screws. Well as usual I managed to make this effort real interesting. I took the large bottle of pepper outside to load the squeeze bottle without making a mess. Well to not drag this out too far it seems that one erant puff of the breeze left me with a well dusted face. Sneezing ,coughing and all but unable to see thru watering eyes I determined this will be a great deterrent. :NC
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:15 pm

Was it the same kind of pepper, Acme brand, that Wiley coyote used on the road runner? :cry:
I saw raccoon early one morning before work, trying to chew a hole into my attic in Indianapolis. --almost 20 yrs ago-
I made an electrical trap to give the varmint a hot foot, so she never tried to come back again. .
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark
Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:05 am

When the puppies were little they were using the antique furniture as chew toys. I made a paste of vegetable oil and red pepper.... THEY QUIT almost immediately :lol:

Then they got even.......

:rofl2:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54 pm

I have a neighbor down the street with that breed of dog. One morning he came by as I was putting mail in the box at the end of the driveway.
Freddie wanted a treat- I had none with me, so I went into the house for one, actually two. He watched me come and go. His jaws were really strong and he made quick work of those milk bone biscuits.
The next day the pooch planted his butt at the end the of the drive way and started barking, for His Treat. He would not budge!
So we ended up with a routine for several weeks, he barked and I got up and delivered his doggie treat. Talk about a dogs life.
I got a job a few weeks later and wasn't home, but he seemed to know that and my wife said Freddie didn't stop and bark!
Mark
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:34 am

At 70 with bad knees I am starting to really hate ladders. Despite these factors I found myself up and down ladders many times in the last 2 weeks. Staining the interior trim. Painting the interior side of the doors. Electrical changes and additions. Heck I even went to the roof line to paint the front end of the barrel roof that we missed when we repainted. I am starting to fear this "hobby" will outlive me ! I lost my best helper for the winter and now he is heading to Florida to live :cry: I have learned to work a day and heal a day and things get slower and slower to complete Oh well I have what ever time I have left to play with my Hobby :D

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 am

bobhenry wrote:
  • 1) At 70 with bad knees I am starting to really hate ladders....
  • 2) I have learned to work a day and heal a day and things get slower and slower to complete....
  • 3) Oh well I have what ever time I have left to play with my Hobby....

* 1) Yep, I know the feeling; at 70 also, with the bad knees and back, and sciatica, I usually let my wife go up on the roof with me (she's only 56), just in case I trip/fall. I also have vertigo, every few months....

* 2) Working upright doesn't cause me lasting pain so much (I can push-mow the 1/2 acre with her help, spelling me for 15 minutes at a time, so recovery time is overnight); but when I have to work on my cars or trailer (my ex-hobby), usually subjecting my body to repeat up-down-up again cycles, leaning into the engine bay for long periods of time, or worse, doing brake jobs, starter replacements, etc, where I must crawl under for longer periods, my recovery time can last weeks (my wife never helps there). But, honey-do's must be done even if I can barely move....

* 3) My (auto/trailer) hobby is now a chore; even camping has been limited to 1-2 times a year, now. I wish I had retired sooner (at 62, before the injuries became so bad...I retired at 65.5, after the knees/back/sciatica became too much to bear with 12-16 hour days, and hardly any help).... Oh well, it is what it is! Keep at it, bobhenry ! I intend to, myself, as long as possible....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2220 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Guys, I too have become officially and elderly person= I celebrated the 2nd anniversary of my 35th birthday last year, but this year I will be 71 and I haven't figured out how to make a joke about that. I find myself spending more time planning, just so I only have to do the work one time.
I was raised on a farm and most everybody over 60 had aches and pains and it was just the way it was, so no use complaining about it.
Last year was a sedate year= no adventuring away from my home base. I hope to rectify that this year. Monday I got home from a 6 day, 2800 mile round trip to see the grandkids and did a 15 hr drive on the last day back home. I can still drive the miles.
Mark
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels