How about a really small house.....

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:11 pm

If you have company you meet them somewhere else. IF someone needs a place to stay the night, rent a motel. A lot of people live in studio apartments that are not large.

While back I was considering a job in korea. I was told that apartments run from 250 to 400 square feet, for a couple.

The real secret is in the quantity of posessions one needs and owns.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Gambam » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:30 pm

wolfix wrote:The last 2 years I have looked into small homes..... The original house of the Small House Society is down the road from me... Being single I have determined that I want about 375 feet........ With a much larger garage... The best small houses I have came across are the Katrina Cottages. I live in a large studio apartment now and like it much better then any house I have ever owned. My utility bills are tiny.

http://www.cusatocottages.com/index_content.html

When I was still single I was planning on building one of these. Two car garage, with a small studio apt above it.

http://www.loghome.net/plans/ward/w04gambrel.htm
Gambam
Donating Member

Postby apratt » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:35 pm

Don't have to worry about the kids moving back home with you and causing trouble. :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby wolfix » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:33 pm

Gambam wrote:
When I was still single I was planning on building one of these. Two car garage, with a small studio apt above it.

http://www.loghome.net/plans/ward/w04gambrel.htm

I actually built one of those for a cousin except with standard siding. We also put the garage doors on the side.....

This also trips my trigger........Image
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby AlaskaJack » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Here's a cabin that I built close to 30 years ago. It's on the edge of a bluff overlooking Cook Inlet (about 4 miles from Seldovia, Alaska). The part to the right of the tower was 12' x 16'. My wife and I and our two infant sons lived in the 12 x 16 for a couple of years and then I added a 12' x 12' addition in front with the tower on top. Had to carry all the lumber in by hand through the woods as we were almost a mile from the road..... slow process! No power, heated and cooked with wood. One of the best times of my life!
(That is my oldest son in the foreground. He was ~4 at that time)

click for bigger
AlaskaJack
Teardrop Master

Postby Dee Bee » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:21 pm

I think the tiny house is a viable option for a simple life. If I were single I would probably live in one and use my resources for other things. I dreamed up my own version.
http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Micro%20Cabin.htm

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Gaelen » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:40 pm

wow...what a terrific thread!
I'm a 'small house' veteran...I lived for three years in a ~510 s.f. rental house after I moved from the 3-floor city Victorian I'd spent 13 years renovating (long story, looong story.) Whenever I miss that Victorian, I pull out my copy of 'The Money Pit' and remind myself why I sold it. :shock:

When I moved, I found a tiny house in an area that had been home to a lot of factory workers. There were three other 'tiny houses' on my street, by mine was smallest by about 150 s.f. It was a true stick-built frame house, not a shotgun--the doorways were all offset. It may have been prefab or similar to the Sears kit houses from the late 30s; in any case they had all been built about the same time (late 30s), and were all on slabs. Mine was on a double lot, which made the lawn seem huge (and which was perfect for a single woman with three dogs.) I had a paved driveway that had space for three cars...almost as big a footprint as the slab for the house!

Near as I could tell, the original house had been closer to 250 s.f. before it was renovated by the owner before to the guy who was renting it to me. It had been completely redone inside and out with energy-smart and hypoallergenic materials--all electric, with baseboard heat independently controlled by thermostats in each room, an electric hot water heater, parquet floors in the front and back rooms and ceramic tile in the center kitchen/utility closet/bathroom area, skylights in the front room, new appliances, french doors to the outside lawn from the back room. One addition to the original house was a four foot deep x 12 foot wide walk-in closet along the back wall of the back room, and the other addition was a peaked roof 15' ceiling front room, with a small 4x6 foot entryway which was placed perpendicular to the main body of the 12' wide by 22' long original house. At least one of the dimensions in each of the three rooms was 12 feet--the back two rooms were 12' wide, and the front room was 12' long (or deep, from the front entry way.)

I could clean the whole house in a half an hour, handle all of the home repairs myself with a simple step laddar...and I DID have family and parties there, especially in the summer when the whole gathering could spill out into the yard. In the winter, the house 'load limit' was 13 people, which was more than enough! It did have a tiny crawl space and there was an 8x10 foot wooden shed in the backyard for extra storage.

I took pictures of the house, in order to get it reassessed for the guy who rented it to me...I will have to try to find them. From the right angle, it looked like one of those backyard sheds you can buy from Home Depot or Lowes. Tried to buy it from him, but he'd overpaid, and refused my offer as 'too low.' I ended up buying a 1000 s.f. townhouse condo instead, but I still miss my miniature house.

Six months after I moved out, we had a huge storm the insurance companies insisted wasn't really a tornado. A tree blew through the house from one end to the other, and I was the only person who knew how to contact the owner, so I was able to get inside and see the damage. The owner ended up defaulting on his mortgage. The home was sold by HUD to another single for about $17,000--I'd have paid the guy twice that, but oh, well. The new owner had to do a lot of interior and structural repair...but come to think about it, probably not more than rebuilding and restoring an older camper.

I still live about two miles from the house, and I've always kept my eye on it... if it ever goes on the market again, I will be one of the people taking another hard look at it.
it's the perfect single person's house, and I loved the yard.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Ira » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:55 pm

The way things are going for some of us, A LOT of us will be living in the really tiny ones.

Either that, our TDs, or cardboard refrigerator boxes.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:42 pm

Gaelen wrote:wow...what a terrific thread! I'm a 'small house' veteran...

Were you properly welcomed to this nut house? If not consider yourself welcomed. Thanks for telling your experience about tiny house living.

It would seem the big problem is that we all have too much stuff. I own a book by Robert Fulgum who lives on a boat and has his library on a shelf. Lots of people live on boats or in studio apartments.

It would seem that a tiny RV (teardrop) and a tiny house would go together, maybe with a tiny car in the driveway!

My wife has Alzheimer's (mid level) and we will need to downsize one day moderately soon. I'll build a tiny house on a daughter's property. It will be 250 to 300 feet. We will have a studio/shop space besides, which will make it work.

I was in IKEA in SanFrancisco the other day. It is full of furniture for small houses. It was great. Small scale furniture is hard to find in this country.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:39 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:It would seem that a tiny RV (teardrop) and a tiny house would go together, maybe with a tiny car in the driveway! dave
    Dave, Sorta like this? :thinking: :)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Ira,
    Just noticed that you moved near by to North Pole! :shock:
    Let's get together soon. :lol:
    Fred
    -25*
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

'tis the season

Postby jay » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:06 pm

[quote="TRAIL-OF-TEARS"]My Mother-In-Law lives (about 12 years now) in a 16 foot travel trailer. She likes it she says she can make breakfast and she doesn't even have to get out of bed. However, it is hard to have company because most people do not know how to negotiate the 2.5' hole in the floor by the front door.[/quote]

anyone have a half sheet of plywood they could donate?
jay
Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:50 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:[ Dave, Sorta like this?

Yea. Shucks, move the tear over and make it into a guest room!

You guys up north have a lot smaller houses than we do down here. You must be a lot smarter!?!

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby wolfix » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:02 pm

I think the small home movement will move forward in the future as more of the population becomes single.

I looked at small homes because I was tired of paying high utility bills. When a utility bill is payed, that money is gone forever. I was really upset when the gas prices went high and then I read where oil companies had record profits.

And lately I have been working on a smaller McMansion being built by a relative. The workmanship is so bad, yet I know the company building the house has a good reputation. I was a remodeling contractor for 2o years and I am disgusted by the products that they are pushing off on us called "building materials."
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:35 pm

I too am toying with the idea of a tiny house for retirement. Just build it, pay as I go, and no more house payment.

The problem is, there's a lot of areas that won't let you put up a tiny house. Here in MI for example, I probably have to go up north of Bay City before I can build something that I can call a cottage.

But I can dream, can't I?

Mike...

P.S. On another forum a guy build an 8x10 Luv shack... it's quite a bit smaller than what I had in mind, but fun to look at... check out all the photos here:
http://groups.msn.com/TheLuvShack/22120 ... lbumlist=2

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels