Someone actually built a tiny house

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Someone actually built a tiny house

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Someone actually built a tiny house to live in... well, for his mom to live in!!!

Nice collection of photos here...
http://markopolo.smugmug.com/Tiny%20Houses

Although I couldn't find a picture of the bedroom.

Mike...

P.S. Is some teardropper here going to build a tiny house. Seems like it would fit right in!
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Bobgorilla » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 pm

:lol: Boy, is he on tear drop time. :lol: 1 and 1/2 years to build a house that size :lol: :lol:
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:58 pm

Wow, has it been that long already??? Aug 23, 2005.... I guess it has!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 pm

I guess a teardrop could be the guest house?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Steve,

I was thinking you would say, that's your next project. Heck you need something to do, now that your tiny trailer is done.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Bobgorilla » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:16 pm

I pulled the post link didn't work :oops:
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:20 pm

mikeschn wrote:I was thinking you would say, that's your next project. Heck you need something to do, now that your tiny trailer is done.

In all honesty I wouldn't mind having a tiny house. It's only me - not married, no kids, and no pets.

I would *love* to have a giant pole barn shop though. :thumbsup:

Next project is going to be a sailing canoe. Then I want a street luge. Then I want an ultralight. Then I want...
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Someone actually built a tiny house

Postby wolfix » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:12 pm

mikeschn wrote:P.S. Is some teardropper here going to build a tiny house. Seems like it would fit right in!

I'm farther along with my building plans for a smaller home/garage then I am with deciding on what style of tear drop I want.

This is the *basic package I have been looking into . I was going to 26x32 size. I don't know if 832 sq ft is considered a tiny home...... The living area will be only 576 sq ft.

I have approched the building code officials about going to the pole barn style [with footings of course,] but I may have to move outside the city limits to get a more lenient code....

Maybe someone here can tell me if radiant [floor system] is all it is cracked up to be. It seems to be a more cost effective way to heat the garage area coupled with heating the living area.

* taken off a website
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Bobgorilla » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:32 pm

wolfix wrote:
mikeschn wrote:P.S. Is some teardropper here going to build a tiny house. Seems like it would fit right in!

I'm farther along with my building plans for a smaller home/garage then I am with deciding on what style of tear drop I want.

This is the *basic package I have been looking into . I was going to 26x32 size. I don't know if 832 sq ft is considered a tiny home...... The living area will be only 576 sq ft.

I have approched the building code officials about going to the pole barn style [with footings of course,] but I may have to move outside the city limits to get a more lenient code....

Maybe someone here can tell me if radiant [floor system] is all it is cracked up to be. It seems to be a more cost effective way to heat the garage area coupled with heating the living area.

* taken off a website
A friend of mines' dad had a set up like that with 14' ceiling in the garage (he was a race car builder) the actual living space was a great room with built in couch and 2 bedrooms and a bathroom seemed like a great place for a single guy. :thumbsup:
P.S. my current living space with (female) roommate, medium size dog, large cat and parrot is 424 sq. ft. which wouldn't be bad but the house I had in Georgia was 1740 sq. ft. so I had to get rid of 3/4ths of my stuff. :cry:
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby wolfix » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 pm

I did about the same thing........ I went from around 1800 sq ft to about 400. I got rid of about 85% of my stuff and have not missed any of it... I do miss my shop and garage though. I had a contracting business so I was heavy on the tools and got rid of almost all of them. I promised myself I would never smell sawdust again......
And the only time I miss them is now when I want to build a TD...
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:27 am

wolfix wrote: Maybe someone here can tell me if radiant [floor system] is all it is cracked up to be. It seems to be a more cost effective way to heat the garage area coupled with heating the living area.

Yep, a friend of mine used it in his place. He's all electric and his highest bills have been around $150 a month.
More below.

Bobgorilla wrote:

A friend of mines' dad had a set up like that with 14' ceiling in the garage (he was a race car builder) the actual living space was a great room with built in couch and 2 bedrooms and a bathroom seemed like a great place for a single guy. :thumbsup:

My friends place is 56X32 with a 15 1/2' ceiling. At one end he built an apartment above about 22' of it. Two bedrooms, living room, small kitchen and bath. Plenty big for 2 people and he's got a helluva workshop to boot.
He used hot water floor heat and the place is always comfortable even when it's 0* outside. You can lay on the floor and not be cold at all. He usually keeps the heat in the garage set at 65* and has to frequently turn the heat off upstairs because it gets too warm.
My next garage will have heated floors!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Joseph » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:14 am

If you think this is cool, you should check out Tiny Houses by Lester R. Walker. I have a copy and it's filled with both historic and modern tiny houses.

My problem is I suffer from TMS syndrome: Too Much Shi... uh, Stuff. I'm beginning to think the zen types are right - we don't own our posessions, they own us.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Dee Bee » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:40 am

Here are my plans for a tiny house

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Micro%20Cabin.htm
Image+

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby BobR » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:43 pm

steve wolverton wrote:
mikeschn wrote:I was thinking you would say, that's your next project. Heck you need something to do, now that your tiny trailer is done.

In all honesty I wouldn't mind having a tiny house. It's only me - not married, no kids, and no pets.

I would *love* to have a giant pole barn shop though. :thumbsup:

Next project is going to be a sailing canoe. Then I want a street luge. Then I want an ultralight. Then I want...

I'm with you Steve...only Sharon might just have somethingto say about it :?
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Bobgorilla » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 pm

After spending 4 and 1/2 years "living " on a submarine and 2 years "living" in a semi truck, 1 of these would seem like a palace! Of course I was quite a bit smaller and more flexible in my submarine (nearly 30 years ago :shock: ) days. :lol:
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels