Should we start a tiny house section on this forum?

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Should we start a tiny house forum?

Yes
70%
No
27%
See comments below...
3%

Total votes : 103

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 am

aahhhh what about a foamie tiny house on wheels!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:10 am

I think it's a wonderful idea and seems like a natural progression. It seems to me that most people on this forum don't stop at one build. The first build just whets the appetite for the next (usually bigger) thing. Since the creativity and adventurous spirits of the forum members seems almost limitless, why place limits on the types of structures we can discuss here, as long as it falls somewhere within the realm of mobile living spaces, whether temporary or permanent, primitive or with all the comforts of home.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby wilberweb » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:37 pm

I posted my reply to the wrong spot sorry

I think starting a tiny homes forum on this site is a great idea. I have links to
teardrop trailers on my web site. :D
wilberweb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:56 am

bobhenry wrote:R. Scott Henry
P.O.Box 310
Linden , IN 47955
765-430-0492

This Small Space
C/o West Wind Pictures Inc.
2 Pardee Avenue
Toronto , On M6K3H5

To the attention of �..
Mary Darling

I have recently purchased a 392 Sq Ft ( 14� x 28�) store front shop in the small town of Linden Indiana ( population 892 ) . I was built in approximately 1903 it has served as a shoe repair shop , a veterinary clinic , a pet grooming shop , a plumbing service office and as an antique shop. I am in the process of making the necessary modifications to make it a livable home. I am 27 and single and have simple needs. My father has been an avid diy �er having recently added a 14 x 20 kitchen to his own home from the ground up.
He was his own designer , excavator , framer ,plumber, electrician , roofer , and finish carpenter. While assisting I decided a small inexpensive home would be the way to go.
Three weeks ago I purchased this little shop for $9000.00 . We have located small house furniture and appliances that few people have ever seen. An antique Murphy bed that folds to the space of a fire place mantel , A butterfly table that folds to 12� x 36� and stores 4 nice wood chairs inside itself . My crown jewel of the kitchen is my combination sink , stove and refrigerator that comes as a single appliance 24� x 32�

Our current project is to install cabinets , a new shower and up grading the plumbing. I was very fortunate that the electrical service was updated well and the roof is in excellent repair.

I have pictures taken on day one and some updated photos of work in progress. If I have made the correct contact I would be happy to send them. If there is a better contact to be considered as a project I am in hopes you can contact me with that information.

Dad and I are trying to complete as soon as practical so time is of the essence to see it in its current condition. I would really like to send a message to young singles that home ownership need not be a 2400 sq ft home and an $ 800 � $1000 per month house payment. With a little sweat equity and ingenuity you can have a very comfortable and very affordable home on a very modest budget.
With sincere thanks,

R.Scott Henry

The letter above was sent to the TV show this small space by my son 2 years ago when we rehabed his little store front cottage. Thought you might find it interesting. Bob

UPDATE

3 YEARS LATER

Thought I would up date this 3 year old post. My son and I finished the remodel of his shack to a nifty little home for about 2300 dollars so he had invested 11,300 in a home. After 4 - 5 months of living in his tiny house he fell in love and they mover to Florida. I acted as building super and we rented the house. As a hugh construction project was literally blocks away we were able to rent it for $450 a month to 3 construction workers on the project. This lasted for almost 15 months ( an income of $6750.00). With the job complete they moved on and another single fella moved in at $350.00 a month and was there 6 months.(another $2100.00 income) He had an inguiry about selling the house as the purchaser wanted to put back in a small business. They made a deal and he sold it for $15000.00 Bottom line after living there 1/3 of a year and renting and selling he had netted a 12,500.00 profit on his $11,300 investment.

Just kinda thought some real numbers would help to show the possible benefits of thinking and living small.

P.S. As a sad note the new owners business was not the raving success she felt it would be and the little house was left empty and very unfortunatly, uninsured.
I came thru town as they were extracting an errant ( and also uninsured)motorist out of the side of the building. He had struck it so hard that the building had been knocked off the rubbelstone foundation almost 18" and was for all intent and purpose "Totaled". Some time later I donated a day to help the new owners local church group take it down safely. It was sure sad to see all our hard work plumbing and wireing and remodeling come crashing down. :cry:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby wilberweb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:02 am

Oldragbaggers

Nice looking teardrop Becky looking forward to seeing it finished. Is that the plan from mikeschn?

-Larry
wilberweb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:44 pm

wilberweb wrote:Oldragbaggers

Nice looking teardrop Becky looking forward to seeing it finished. Is that the plan from mikeschn?

-Larry

Yes, I am using the Generic Benroy plan as a guide, although I have been looking at tons of other resources so I am changing things as I go. I wouldn't have had the slightest inkling where to start though without these and all the other great plans/ideas that so many teardroppers have taken the time and effort to share.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby wilberweb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:17 pm

The Generic Benroy plan is a great plan.
They sure do have a lot of resources on line. many hours of web sites to look through, I could spend hours researching plans. Its good they are willing to share. It makes it enjoyable.
just a click away and any questions you may have is available online.
I am restoring a 55 Chevy truck I belong to several forums I get a lot
of great Ideas. a wealth of knowledge.

-Larry
wilberweb
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels