Should we start a tiny house section on this forum?

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Should we start a tiny house forum?

Yes
70%
No
27%
See comments below...
3%

Total votes : 103

Postby Wimperdink » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:17 pm

how about a forum for "all others" for those that dont fit the TTT or TD catagories. Then others with trailers other than tent trailers, gypsy wagons and tiny houses could also be included.

I'd also like to hear discussions on people who would or do live permanently in park model homes on their own private property.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:49 am

starleen2 wrote:But really, Aren't teardrops and tiny trailers small houses? :cry: :cry:

My dad who is almost 84, sometimes can't think up the right word, usually calls my trailer "Your little house". :thumbsup:
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Outlaw » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 am

I'd love to see a "Tiny House Trailer" forum on this board. The other site that has been referred to has very little activity. You may want to consider putting a cap on the length of the trailer so if falls within our TTT theme. I honestly wouldn't object to a Vardo forum as well. Steve's project has peeked a lot of interest.
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:37 pm

R. Scott Henry
P.O.Box 310
Linden , IN 47955
765-430-0492

This Small Space
C/o West Wind Pictures Inc.
2 Pardee Avenue
Toronto , On M6K3H5

To the attention of …..
Mary Darling

I have recently purchased a 392 Sq Ft ( 14’ x 28’) store front shop in the small town of Linden Indiana ( population 892 ) . I was built in approximately 1903 it has served as a shoe repair shop , a veterinary clinic , a pet grooming shop , a plumbing service office and as an antique shop. I am in the process of making the necessary modifications to make it a livable home. I am 27 and single and have simple needs. My father has been an avid diy ‘er having recently added a 14 x 20 kitchen to his own home from the ground up.
He was his own designer , excavator , framer ,plumber, electrician , roofer , and finish carpenter. While assisting I decided a small inexpensive home would be the way to go.
Three weeks ago I purchased this little shop for $9000.00 . We have located small house furniture and appliances that few people have ever seen. An antique Murphy bed that folds to the space of a fire place mantel , A butterfly table that folds to 12” x 36” and stores 4 nice wood chairs inside itself . My crown jewel of the kitchen is my combination sink , stove and refrigerator that comes as a single appliance 24” x 32”

Our current project is to install cabinets , a new shower and up grading the plumbing. I was very fortunate that the electrical service was updated well and the roof is in excellent repair.

I have pictures taken on day one and some updated photos of work in progress. If I have made the correct contact I would be happy to send them. If there is a better contact to be considered as a project I am in hopes you can contact me with that information.

Dad and I are trying to complete as soon as practical so time is of the essence to see it in its current condition. I would really like to send a message to young singles that home ownership need not be a 2400 sq ft home and an $ 800 – $1000 per month house payment. With a little sweat equity and ingenuity you can have a very comfortable and very affordable home on a very modest budget.
With sincere thanks,

R.Scott Henry

The letter above was sent to the TV show this small space by my son 2 years ago when we rehabed his little store front cottage. Thought you might find it interesting. Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:51 pm

How about some in ceiling storage. Some are even self leveling :D

www.upandawaystorage.com/index.html

This disappearing cabinet was going to be a father and son project down the road but never happened. He fell in love , moved to Florida and got married. We rented the little house out for 2 years getting $400 a month and he recently sold it for $15,000 so he didn't do bad. We had about $2000 in repairs.
Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:56 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: Now you know you gotta fork over the :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: 8) I have tried to tell my sister she needs a small place of her own that she can maintain without help. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby seahorse » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Mike , Great idea.......but a canned ham (like SHASTA style) , say 11'x7' would be much lighter and fit better with this forum. Just my 2 cents
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:55 pm

http://www.concealedcabinet.com/

Hidden in the wall studs storage.

How about an art gallery on the galley wall of your tear , canned ham, or itty bitty house that hides the spice cabinet medicine chest and other assorted goodies.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Looks like there is enough interest. :o :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby CaptainKram » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 pm

bobhenry wrote:http://www.concealedcabinet.com/

Hidden in the wall studs storage.

How about an art gallery on the galley wall of your tear , canned ham, or itty bitty house that hides the spice cabinet medicine chest and other assorted goodies.

Great idea, but $200-$300 bucks for a medicine cabinet with a store bought picture frame attached? :shock: :shock: :thumbdown: Oh...I get it...DIY, what was I thinking! :? :? :lol: :lol:

Mark
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:49 pm

NA ! $3.00 picture frame at Goodwill with the picture of your choice installed and 2 hinges. If ya really want to fancy it up a little scrap paneling and a couple pieces of corner trim. I just wanted to steal the idea of between stud storage not go bankrupt :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:12 pm

bobhenry wrote:NA ! $3.00 picture frame at Goodwill with the picture of your choice installed and 2 hinges. If ya really want to fancy it up a little scrap paneling and a couple pieces of corner trim. I just wanted to steal the idea of between stud storage not go bankrupt :D

With 2x6 wall studs you could even use it on exterior walls and still get some insulation behind it. :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:27 pm

That's thinkin' I took out a garage door in my cement block garage framed it in with 2x10 at 24" on center. It made a shelf wall from hell. Tons of cubbyhole storage.

Here is some more brain lint ...............

http://www.summerwood.com/products/cabins/index.html
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

tiny house?????

Postby moreforles » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:54 pm

:thinking: I thought that was basically what teardrops and tiny travel trailers were, only for the most part - temp living space.......

but as earlier response stated - under other or non traditional or something like that..... I have changed m mind three times at least since joining sight - as too what to build, from traditional teardrop to large reverse teardrop and now...... I kind of liking the conestoga wagon plans with some major modifications... rounding front for aero dynamics (as well as additional inside space) foam (sips panel type) construction except rear where full sized door would be located.
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Postby wilberweb » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 am

I think starting a tiny homes forum on this site is a great idea. I have links to
teardrop trailers on my web site.
wilberweb
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels