SPACE SAVING FURNITURE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

SPACE SAVING FURNITURE

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 am

http://tinyurl.com/9anmkc

Here is the little table I mentioned before. 12" x 36" closed and large enough for 4 - 6 people when fully extended. Chair storage is in base.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:36 am

http://home-furnishings.smartbargains.com/furniture/beechwood-breakfast-bar-show.sb

How about a breakfast bar with 2 self storing stools. 15" x 30' closed taking up almost no space.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:11 am

http://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/Mission-Gallery/mission-wall-beds-06-med.jpg

Here is a neat idea for a drop down table/desk. In the folded up position it simply looks like closed cabinet with a raised panel door. lowered down the raised panel hinges down from the top to support a hardwood or formica work surface that is hinged at the bottom to the wall
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: SPACE SAVING FURNITURE

Postby planovet » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 am

bobhenry wrote:http://tinyurl.com/9anmkc

Here is the little table I mentioned before. 12" x 36" closed and large enough for 4 - 6 people when fully extended. Chair storage is in base.

We have one of those. Very nice and saves space. It IS heavy though...
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:27 am

bobhenry wrote:http://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/Mission-Gallery/mission-wall-beds-06-med.jpg

Here is a neat idea for a drop down table/desk. In the folded up position it simply looks like closed cabinet with a raised panel door. lowered down the raised panel hinges down from the top to support a hardwood or formica work surface that is hinged at the bottom to the wall

:thumbsup: :applause: Bob I saw a table like this on TV that had a Murphy bed behind it. In the down position is a full bed and the table acts as a middle leg.

These are some great ideas. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: SPACE SAVING FURNITURE

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:32 am

planovet wrote:[
We have one of those. Very nice and saves space. It IS heavy though...

This thread is a bit different we are not dragging this little house to Yellowstone for the weekend. We are looking at long term positioning of a small home. These will be heavy and will require a large truck to tow. While component weight is a factor this is not a teardrop being towed with a VW beetle. Just food for thought.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks for the links and the information. I am planning a murphy bed in my small house soon. The idea of making it convertible to a table or such intrigues me.

I am the cabinet maker as well as the owner, so design ideas are where I start. Thanks again.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:37 pm

How about a 3.5 sq ft pantry ......

I built a large pantry 0ut 0f 3 30" tall by 42" wide by 12" deep wall cabinets. This unit will hold a months worth of groceries and all the odd ball cooking items you can find to throw in it.
I started with a 2x4 box standing 3 1/2 tall this is stepped back to immitate a toe kick. Paint it flat black and start stacking wall cabinets on it attaching each cabinet to at least 2 wall studs. In an 8' kitcken 90" of wall cabinets and a 3 1/2 toe kick puts you close enough to the ceiling for crown moulding for a built in look. My ceilings are 9' 6" so I beefed up the top cabinet and this "shelf" is used to display my cast iron cookware when not in use. A lot of storage from 3 1/2 sq ft of floor space. Shorter ceilings simply use shorter cabinets they are available from 42" to 12" in 3" increments in many widths and door styles.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby CaptainKram » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:09 pm

bobhenry wrote:http://www.wallbedsbywilding.com/Mission-Gallery/mission-wall-beds-06-med.jpg

Anyone where to find some DIY wall bed (Murphy) plans?
:thinking: I did some web searching and didn't come up with much that didn't cost as much as the mattress. :o :x

Mark
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 am

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=146-714

The frame setups are expensive. We looked and looked for my sons mini house this is one of the cheaper ones still smarts though.

Have a beautiful 90+ year old antique murphy bed out in the 3 season porch too bad you arn't closer. Was left after son sold his toy house.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:44 am

Here is a rather plain Jane fold out wall mounted table.

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby CaptainKram » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:37 am

bobhenry wrote:http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=146-714

The frame setups are expensive. We looked and looked for my sons mini house this is one of the cheaper ones still smarts though.

Have a beautiful 90+ year old antique murphy bed out in the 3 season porch too bad you arn't closer. Was left after son sold his toy house.

Hello bobhenry,

Your right about that, love to have the antique. Besides being able to use it and liking the age, my older brother is in the antique business and it would give a chance to gig him a little. :twisted: :D

Saw the one at woodworker, and might use the spring layout if I build a bed. I'm in the middle of trying to design an over sized Cabin Car and thought a Murphy style bed with a drop down table like the one in the earlier post might solve one of my problems. That being a place to sit and do stuff if the weather turns rotten, and have a permanently made up bed. :thinking: Yeah, I know, I want my cake, etc. ;) :lol:

Mark
"A woman drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." ~W. C. Feilds
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 am

CaptainKram wrote:
bobhenry wrote:http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=146-714

Hello bobhenry,

Your right about that, love to have the antique. Besides being able to use it and liking the age, my older brother is in the antique business and it would give a chance to gig him a little. :twisted: :D

Saw the one at woodworker, and might use the spring layout if I build a bed. I'm in the middle of trying to design an over sized Cabin Car and thought a Murphy style bed with a drop down table like the one in the earlier post might solve one of my problems. That being a place to sit and do stuff if the weather turns rotten, and have a permanently made up bed. :thinking: Yeah, I know, I want my cake, etc. ;) :lol:

Mark

Cap'n you might entertain he idea of a sofa bed conversion. A quick trip to the junk yard should allow you to find a nice sofa / bed units in one of those 9 passanger conversion vans. We had a full size Dodge and it had an excellent flexsteel sofa/bed. Comfey as a bed too. The addition of a wall mounted flip up table on each wall would give you a "booth" like eating or work area with a slender pass thru in the center to get seated.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby CaptainKram » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Nice idea, bobhenry. Hadn't thought of the ones out of a van. Some of the high top, factory custom jobs have NICE sofa beds in them. :thinking: :thinking: Major food for thought. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mark
CaptainKram
Teardrop Master

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels