It's Happening

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

It's Happening

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 am

I have been wondering , could I use the old system of ballon framing on a tiny house. ballon framing as I understand is where the studs go continuous to the rafters with the second floor framed to them. I think this would have the benifit of using reguler studs and help stablize the walls for higway speeds. Also most mini houses seen to have steel roofing how about the high wind ashphalt shingles. Yes I have a serious search for possible build knowledge. Sandy
Last edited by Sandy St. Louis on Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Sat May 30, 2009 5:00 am

Are you making a 2 story ? :D .

For what we are trying to do baloon framing is by far preferable. This eliminates the hinge point in the sidewalls where the 2nd story ( or loft wall ) is joined. If you scroll back in this thread Mike and I and others discussed let in bracing. I feel this is very important to any structure that will be experiencing high wind shear loads. There are some good cut away pics of the framing of a small building. If you are installing a loft a cripple ( short stud) can be nailed to the full length stud and a floor joist can rest on it and a correspondind stud on the opposite side. This transfers the floor load of the loft back to the ground floor frameing.
As to shingles WHY ?

A metal roof is actually lighter than a shingled roof. Remember a shingled roof winds up being 2 layers because each overlaps the other 1/2 way. A metal roof can be installed on perlins 2 to 3 feet apart where as a shingled roof needs solid sheating underneath. The steel comes in 20 or 30 beautiful colors and looks great for years.

Well it's all your fault you asked :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let us know more about your plans. :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Framing

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Sat May 30, 2009 7:42 am

Thankyou Bobhenry for your reply, my concern with using cripples is the wieght I was thinking more on the line of a plate secured to the studs and steel joist hangers for the loft. At present the daydream build is to protect my sanity with all my children and grandkids coming home for longer stays seems easier if they have their own place. Gee I'm becoming my Dad. The roof will be steel. The general plan is a selfsuficient building to be dry ,warm ,affordable, livable for longer stays, shower toilet, cooking and completly off grid. As with everything new I build a smaller one to start with 100sqft. or less. At the same time the best place to build or design this project is this forum and make available a generic free plan to the public. I'm a very poor typest and a poorer draftsmen so will need help with this.Thanks Sandy
Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 30, 2009 4:22 pm

Sandy,

There's a lot of people on http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php that know way more than I know. Hope that helps.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jay » Sun May 31, 2009 6:21 am

[quote="bobhenry"]......a shingled roof winds up being 2 layers because each overlaps the other 1/2 way. ....[/quote]

shingles, either roof or sidewall, should have exposure adjusted so there is triple coverage at the buttline.

example: asphalt 3 in 1 tab shingles measure 12" x 36". the exposure should be/ or less than 5". next course covers 7" of the first shingle. third course covers 2" of the first shingle.

that way, if the courses leak, there is at least a chance the top of the undernlying course will direct the water out/ prevent it from getting behind the shingle.

with sidewall shingles, same thing. 16" shingle should be laid less than 6" to the weather, 18", less than 8" - ad infinitum
jay
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:32 am

Damn that makes it even heavier.

Here is a little drawing I stoled from ???? and it shows a little of the framing. On these the wall sets on the top plate though. Saw somewhere where the loft bed was placed on an elevated platform and a shallow square water tank was incorporated in it. Gravity fed water supply, no pumps no problems. :thumbsup:

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:47 pm

mikeschn wrote:...on http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php ...

another
that's ^ one i hadn't seen but bears watching; thanx
jay
Donating Member

It's gonna happen

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 12:49 am

Having posted 3 recent pictures in my album, The foundation ,The plan, and the start and trying to include in this post I can now understand why we aren't permitted handguns we would have to import to many computers. Anyway I will try again later. Having read and reread all the posts here on minihouses I'm going to buid one. The body will meet all dot specs I believe not exceding 13.5 tall,8.5 wide andabout 21ft long. The first stage will to get it to lockup with the exterior finished . Having spent another hour and still no picture please look in my album . Sandy
Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

pictures

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

The plan

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

The start

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Got them posted

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Yesterdays pictures are up ,still lots of learning on this puter. Still trying to get more than one on a post . More progress has been made. Due to the size of the floor and myself I've decided to do the framing in three sections installing the bottom coating turning over fastening together and then securing to the frame. One will notice where most of my learning is from. Sandy
Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Flor framing

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 11:07 pm

Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

the black stuff

Postby Sandy St. Louis » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Sandy St. Louis
Teardrop Advisor

Postby droid_ca » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 pm

this is off to a good start
is this going to be a tiny house or a vardo? :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels