tiny "BARNS" on wheels

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

the value of a "shake down" cruise

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 am

Well have dragged the chuck wagon trailler around for 2 days to and from work. The trips to and from yesterday were uneventful. However, this morning I kept hearing a thump thump thump and stopped to investigate. I had stuffed a 2x4 under the box at mid front to allow the tongue to support the nose of the tongue box. Well I had intended to drill a hole or two in the box floor inside and screw the support block in place. Well I forgot that small task and the 2x4 walked out as the box hopped around over the secondary roads. Thank God I had the gas line in and had bolted the bottom back corners to an angle iron support. It ripped out the 3" screws at the top and was bouncing up and down on the tongue. Hence the "THUMP THUMP THUMP"

Well another small project.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 am

Tongue box is now mounted properly. I installed 1" blue foam on the floor of the storage lockers and the tongue box. I went looking for a tongue jack after I weighed the tongue weight at the ball
(# 160 :shock: and yes that was level ).

As these 2 trailers are being towed tandum I knew I would need to be able to seperate them and hand push the chuck wagon where needed. Nope I can barely back up a single trailer but definatly ain't good enough to back up doubles !

I had been trying to justify the not quite $50.00 for a wheeled tongue jack but just couldn't do it. A couple night ago as I was driving home I stopped at a yard sale and found an ancient bolt on ball mount for $2.00 and 2 heavy duty 4" casters for a buck apiece. I bought about $5.50 worth of hardware and mounted the ball mount upside down on the tongue and secured it with a large "U" bolt thru the safety chain holes. The 2 mounting ears that normally bolted to the underside of the bumper are now upside down and accepted the 2 casters. Well to make a long story short I disconnected the chuckwagon last night and shoved it 30 feet thru the lawn and back into the driveway behind the barn and hooked it up to the barn for the first time. It rolled real easy and went where I pointed it so I was a happy soul.

A few days ago I found a semi mud flap in the road so I took it as a sign :roll: and picked it up. Last night I cut it up and made mud flaps for the rear of the fenders. I had been towing it to and from work for 4 days in the rain and the sides were sprayed with a healthy layer of road grime so this addition should help a bit.

2 gas fittings to tape and reinstall and I am ready to pack up and head to the CRA :thumbsup:
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 am

Well the gas line is in and no leaks :cigar:

All the burners work great looks like stove is going to require a new thermocouple to get it going. Oh well I have one more weekend ! :thumbsup:
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Went looking for some graphics ideas for the chuckwagon, what do ya think of this one ????? :thinking:

bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby TimJones » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:51 am

I like that. Would it have color
Tim and Judy
------------------------
TimJones
Teardrop Master

the chuck wagon an barn at the CRA

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 am

Well we did it, without pulling the combo more than ten feet we hooked up Thursday morning and took the "Train" to the Crossroads of America gathering. Here are a few shots......

here we are packing up the site.

hooked up ready to roll

goodby McCormic's creek
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 am

congratulations :thumbsup: on you successful adventure :applause: :applause: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Some times being lucky is better than being good. We placed the 10 x 10 first up over the chuckwagon for shade in the heat at the CRA. The pop up just by luck exactly covers the 4' wide trailer and two 3' bat wing tables. The trailer with hatch up is just over 8' leaving just under 2' additional walk area. In a rain situation all could be covered with rain fly sidewalls. It was certainly nice to have a place for everything. The 4 bays were well utilized we had one for dry goods and the water tank. One was exclusively for the cast iron all protected with a 1" foam floor and foam dividers and all rode well. The coolers were nestled in their foam insulated bay and the junk bay was great for all the little things that get misplaced. The basement stored the 2 bat wing tables a camp chef dutch oven table and the wash basins. Everyone had a place of their own.

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm

How did it tow bob???????? just off the top of my head. looks like you took the hole kitchen! just joking!!!! sounds like you had a blast and its working out great!!!!!!!!

I bet with your chuck rig the food though was fablous to die for.

Slowcowboy.
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:31 pm

I just love the looks of that little barn on wheels I might have to borrow a few ideas from that one for the buggy that I'm going to make it just seems to fit the profile for what I want to do and how you used a lot of found supplies makes it all the better .... how much would you say you have invested into that one I'm wondering if I could do one non insulated for a cheep price it wouldn't need signal lights or anything I don't think cause it would be used for parades and what not and the community is pretty good about stuff like that :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:38 am

droid_ca wrote:I just love the looks of that little barn on wheels I might have to borrow a few ideas from that one for the buggy that I'm going to make it just seems to fit the profile for what I want to do and how you used a lot of found supplies makes it all the better .... how much would you say you have invested into that one I'm wondering if I could do one non insulated for a cheep price it wouldn't need signal lights or anything I don't think cause it would be used for parades and what not and the community is pretty good about stuff like that :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

If memory serves me correct 250 in the use trailer 400 in lumber and about 200 in glue. paint. aluminum for roof.fastners, ect. in the box. There are electrical cabinets fixtures counter tops and many other improvements inside that added to the final cost.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:43 am

slowcowboy wrote:How did it tow bob???????? just off the top of my head. looks like you took the hole kitchen! just joking!!!! sounds like you had a blast and its working out great!!!!!!!!

I bet with your chuck rig the food though was fablous to die for.

Slowcowboy.

Hep Mike it truely was the whole kitchen and it was damned convenient to have it all where you can get to it. As to towing it pulled like a train on rails. Coming home I was exhausted and literally fell asleep at the wheel so we did a few seconds of off roading and even then it was mild mannered and followed along dutifully. This was a very special gathering and we were loaded far beyond the max and yet it pulled fantastic.

As to food we made a lamb and roundsteak "Gyros roast" , a root beer cobbler, and ( hold on to your shorts) home made ice cream in the dutch oven.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby 101camper » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:41 am

Here is a small barn on wheels that was the sales office for a Christmas tree sale. I was not able to see the inside as the business sold out and closed up early this year.

Denise
101camper
Gold Donating Member

Re: tiny "BARNS" on wheels

Postby PcHistorian » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:49 pm

well, that answered one question. if you were going to do real shingles on the roof. though you could probably just paint them on if you wanted to. Or one of those barn roof sayings, like smoke or chew or eat, some special brand of sumthing.
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Re: tiny "BARNS" on wheels

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Well , I thought I would drag the tiny barn thread out of the weeds. I Took the barn out of state to transport an antique china cabinet to my son in Tennessee. So I have two more states to brag about the barn being in (Kentucky and Tennessee). Somewhere around 900 miles this weekend and it followed along dutifully all the way.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels