HGTV Design Star does a tiny house challenge

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

HGTV Design Star does a tiny house challenge

Postby Gaelen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:28 pm

They weren't on wheels, but they were only 99 sf (the Tumbleweeds Box Bungalow "Beaven" model, with at least 3 optional windows, interior board walls and board and batten siding.) Here are the pics.

I liked some elements of both of the winning designs. Anyone else watch it? It was on Labor Day night, but I caught a repeat of the episode today.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes! I thought the teardroppers could have shown them a thing or two about swing-up tables, storage, and overall cute! But I did enjoy the program. I'm pulling for Karl to win (Meg's voice bothers me.)
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:52 pm

I really like the indoor "garden" that the eliminated designer (sorry - forget his name - Robert?) incorporated into his window area.

And I agreed with the judges that Meg's shelves, while nice, needed to demonstrate real storage, not knick-knack storage, in a place that was so small. I liked that Karl incorporated more than just a bed into his loft area. And Meg's swing-up table was a good idea...sometimes I wonder how they can possibly execute their profjects in the limited time they have. ;)
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Fast, inexpensive, and good...we had a contractor once who said, you can have two of those at most on any project. If it's inexpensive and good, it's slow. If it's fast and inexpensive, it's not good...etc.

On Design Star, the time and money constraints really make it hard on these poor designers. And then Vern, Genevieve, and the critic of the week come in and find fault. It's really amazing what the contestants have been able to pull off.

I liked Mark's indoor garden, too--and his design. I liked that he thought about multifunction pieces. I must have been out of the room when they showed the lofts--I was curious about those.

Wish they'd used slightly bigger units and had them do a shower, too.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Oops, Karl was the one with the multifunction pieces.

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Oops, I'm watching a rerun of it right now. Karl was the one who had the multifunction pieces--cutting boards that can be placemats, etc.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:29 am

tearhead wrote:Wish they'd used slightly bigger units and had them do a shower, too.

Actually, if they'd had more time (there's that "fast" thing again...) they could probably have put an RV combination shower/toilet unit into the space they allocated for the washroom. The toilet is mounted on a shower pan, and the shower head is a hand-held unit mounted to slide up/down a pole, with a sink incorporated into the corner. I rented a couple of older travel trailers with that set-up - tight, but functional. They could have done it. But sourcing that stuff in Manhattan in 24 hours might have been a little tricky.
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby tearhead » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Funny, I was thinking of that very thing and had tried to find a source online, just to see how wide the combo units are. I was figuring the house front wall was at most 9 ft across and the door would probably take up at least 36 inches and was already installed centered so I thought maybe a combo unit wouldn't fit. But it looks like it actually might, assuming the front wall is 9 feet. Not very designery units, though, eh? Maybe some decals! :)

I was a bit disappointed in tonight's outcome (I won't spoil it in case you've not seen it). Of course, the editors can distort all kinds of things, so who knows. And I did like the room of the winner much better than that of the 2nd place finisher. However, I think the winner has difficulty stringing together sensible English sentences and I think that would interfere with my enjoying a show hosted by that individual.

Watch it, so I can stop making all these indefinite references!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:21 pm

:thumbsup: I watched it and was surprised at the outcome too, but Meg's was the prettiest. I liked the loft bed too but it did enclose the home. I often wonder why the privy isn't in the back and all else up front. :)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tearhead » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:33 pm

It would have been more functional, but they had a big window across the back and I think two smaller windows toward the back, so if the bathroom had been in the back, it would have meant less window space for the living area (if memory serves).
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:19 am

Finally got to watch the final episode...I really didn't keep up with Design Start this season, so going into the finale I wasn't quite as invested in any one winner.

But I then got to watch Meg's first show on her own, and she did a good job with the reno (a kitchen is the toughest room) and with the family. Of course, she had $40K to play with.... ;)

In any case, I think with the tiny houses, I'd have put in *skylights* and larger windows on the sides, so that moving the washroom to the rear of the house wouldn't have cut out the light. I did like the window over the window seat...just not the best use of that space.
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:37 pm

I didn't see any of the episodes... but I did look at the pictures.

Did the show say who won?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tearhead » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Meg won. She really did do a good job with her final room. Haven't had the opportunity to watch her show but I'm relieved it wasn't her proposed, "Design Crimes."
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels