Modular House - Base Camp

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Modular House - Base Camp

Postby Engineer Guy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:23 am

Mike's Post below re: whether to have a fixed or wheeled Base Camp caused me to share our latest acquisition.

While looking around for Garage ideas to finish off our Retirement Home, we had the good fortune to find a 3 section, ~1,600 sq. ft. Modular Garage Model priced at >$40% off after 2 mark-downs. Late on a Friday afternoon, it took us all of 10 minutes to decide on buying it, due to it fitting our needs, and due to competitive Customer interest. The Builder wanted to move it in order to put up another, newer Model.

In a little over a week, part of our 80 Acres of Mesa-top was graded and Concrete poured - including a 12' x 26' Pad 'for me' - and the Unit was hauled up and finished. My kinda progress after building our own Home over 'eternity'.

Other than one upper section where Kids got in and tore out some blown-in Insulation, the Shell was very nicely insulated. The Shell is VERY well built to withstand transport, and I especially like the Engineered Floor Joists.

We had a Single Car Garage Door framed in [left section], and another layer of OSB added in that Garage section. I stubbed in future Utilities. The center section is a Workout area, with a future Guest Apartment upstairs. The mirror image right section is my future Shop w/exterior Parking Pad/TT 'work' area adjacent.

The hinged Roof was raised back up and secured, and the entire Building was strapped down 'anyway', despite being in a non-Code CO County where Permits or CO's are not required.

I plan to run Electricity, but will be running the Building off of +12 VDC and Trailer components [On Demand Water Pump; 'spare' Propane Cooktop; 'spare' Wood Stove; Low Voltage Lighting, etc.]. It will be our 'back-up' Home in case of serious power outages, or emergency scenarios.

I wanted to throw this out to folks considering a Modular Shell option, since we could easily live in the just the center 'Tiny House' section when not Trailering. The left and right 'wings' are 14' x 26'. The center section is 16' x 26'. The upstairs center is a clean 8' clearance, and not at all claustrophobic. Our favorite feature is the outside Deck with an unbelievable CO panorama. We plan to 'Western up' the place with some Antlers mounted outside, since it looks like it's been there far longer than the House.

Our Camera went wonky, so the images are blurred a bit.

A Shipping Container Abode for sale is also linked below.

Shipping Container House - Craig's List
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:12 am

that looks great!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels