Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:11 am

Summer shot of the caboose with all my yard sale and free finds.....Image

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

I did set down this weekend and look at my last couple electric bills for the caboose...... :D

Electricity used was $7.38 and the other bill was $8.43 (of course there is that damn service charge but we won't go there).
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby pjo129 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:26 am

Awesome! Are you living in the caboose yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:47 am

The commute to work is the problem it's almost 75 minutes from the caboose and 20 from the house in a house so I stay closer M T W T nights then at the caboose on the weekends to get work done. The caboose is still crude but livable. I cooked out Monday night ( I know Monday is supposed to be at the HIH but the Tiny houses shows were all on for a few hours so I went to the gal pals). The fare was Pork cutlets on the grill, steamed veggies out of the microwave, and a garden salad at my new free patio table. It was a gorgeous night to "picnic". The commute to work problem is about to ease up as I am stepping down to part time on the 1st and going 3 days a week as a partial retirement. So I will be at the HIH only 2 nights a week when that happens. I needed the time to get the solar and rain water harvesting systems in place at the caboose. I have yet to get the plumbing in place either and can't button up the walls until that is done so in short I just needed more damn time to work on MY projects instead of the employers problems. They have refused to allow me to train another project estimator so maybe now they will take my departure seriously.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:23 am

Well, we cut 2 monster trees down and the bottom sections were huge. I really didn't want to get that up close and personal with a sledge hammer and some wedges so I decided to make a robin hood table. In order to get 2 very un-uniform lumps to support a table at 34" and be level I decided to use a couple scrap 2x8's and place them in a dado that was chain sawed to be level side to side and make each cut match in depth so the table will be level the length as well. After those lateral cuts were made I positioned a center support that was also dadoed into stump and screwed to the lateral braces making essentially a big capital letter "I" centered all and installed the 10' 5/4" deck boards for the top.

Later we just had to cut the walnut seating. :D

bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby godskid » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Gorgeious! And verrry clever!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby Nansplace » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:04 pm

It looks great but I don't think you'll sit there too long before your bottom starts begging for something softer. LOL :lol: Very nice idea and it looks great! Enjoy!!!
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Very clever! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:37 am

Nansplace wrote:It looks great but I don't think you'll sit there too long before your bottom starts begging for something softer. LOL :lol: Very nice idea and it looks great! Enjoy!!!

SOME OF US COME WITH EXTRA PADDING !
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 am

bobhenry wrote:Well Christmas day and Saturday was great weather 55 - 60 so the tractor barn doors went up.

Rain came in about noon Saturday so I went inside the caboose and test fired the vent free propane heater and was most pleased. Got some wiring done and made some piddle adjustments to things and picked up a bit.

Just putting along enjoying my vacation time. I don't go back till next year! :beer:

UPDATE ~~~~~

Finally got rid of that undersized ugly door and found some pretty ones yep free ~~~

repurposed doors for the tractor barn. They were rescued from the trash pile at the window and door place next door at work.
20 lite real glass and solid (heavy as hell) oak doors. They came out of a municipal building the city is renovating.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby pjo129 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:26 am

bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:Well Christmas day and Saturday was great weather 55 - 60 so the tractor barn doors went up.

Rain came in about noon Saturday so I went inside the caboose and test fired the vent free propane heater and was most pleased. Got some wiring done and made some piddle adjustments to things and picked up a bit.

Just putting along enjoying my vacation time. I don't go back till next year! :beer:

UPDATE ~~~~~

Finally got rid of that undersized ugly door and found some pretty ones yep free ~~~

repurposed doors for the tractor barn. They were rescued from the trash pile at the window and door place next door at work.
20 lite real glass and solid (heavy as hell) oak doors. They came out of a municipal building the city is renovating.

And you didn't think government was good for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:55 am

Well Sunday was so hot and muggy we took a road trip. Went 145 miles to rescue an early 1900 cast iron/ porcelain sink. In so doing I also found in the trash pile about 200 feet of black plastic cold water pipe. That saved a few $ that I was planning on spending to plumb the solar coil hot water heater. Finished tightening down the rubber roof and now just need to paint and install the dental molding to finish the roof. Soon to come is the rainwater harvesting and the solar collectors to be installed. Seems like the closer I get the slower I become.
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club

Postby Nansplace » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:42 am

Is the sink going in the caboose or the HIH?
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels