Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 pm

"Smarter not harder"

Yep should have used the forklift and scooped it off.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Bob,
just a thought on heating your caboose, since you're planning on putting it down 'semi permanently'... how about some 'free' heating? I'm working on my woodshop up in NY (will be there next week) and this is how I"m planning on heating my shop this coming fall/winter. Basically uses passive solar gain to set up a solar siphon effect

This one is very crude, but it shows the theory in practice, also it is on a very tiny structure (ice fishing shack) http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/SolarIceShack/SolarIceShack.htm

here is the 'whole page' of passive solar devices: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/Space_Heating.htm#Passive scroll down toward the bottom to see the 'removable' or window based units. IIRC, they don't 'have to' be at a 45* angle, on an easterly or southern exposure they can be vertical and get nearly the same amount of passive heating gain. If you built them as 'window hangers' you could keep your caboose look for the warmer months and only use them as needed.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Ned, I was going to suggest that. I have been trying to figure a way to use this for fall/winter camping. Free heat. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:54 pm

bonnie wrote:Ned, I was going to suggest that. I have been trying to figure a way to use this for fall/winter camping. Free heat. :)

Bonnie,
depending on your application, it amounts to a two chambered box, with one wide part being see through (can be clear 'job site plastic' (sold in rolls at home centers)), the 'center part being painted dark for solar gain, and then adapting it to fit into an opening on the structure to be heated. in the case of a tear... I dunno some sort of replacement door which has a pair of holes cut into it for air flow? The lower one doesn't have to be at the bottom of the solar panel, but the top does have to be at the top so the hot air will 'escape' into the tear.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Ned :

I am underway with one of this type.....

Very similar in performance just a little more added mass for better heat absorbsion.

It will be tied into my 12 volt auto radiator fan powered ventilation system.

I haven't looked into it yet but am kinda curious how tight a bend can be made with pex. I thought it would be nice to further utilize the solar furnace as a hot water preheater for the months that will remain above freezing. By simply adding the tubes in the little vee between the rows the water could pick a good deal of heat.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Bob, didn't see that you were doing that, looks like it should keep you warm, and the preheater sounds like a neat idea too!

I think that is one of the designs linked on the overall page, by the way.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:09 pm

bobhenry wrote:Ned :

I haven't looked into it yet but am kinda curious how tight a bend can be made with pex. I thought it would be nice to further utilize the solar furnace as a hot water preheater for the months that will remain above freezing. By simply adding the tubes in the little vee between the rows the water could pick a good deal of heat.

Now, I'm going to experiment. Already have the cans. I can build the frame and such. Irrigation pipe should work to heat the water, not potable, though. Hmmmmm.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:59 am

Have recieved info from the state that the little 1/2 acre lot is priced at $4,000.
It sounds like a great deal so this morning I sent this to the county zoning board.

Gentlemen:

I have the opportunity to purchase a small plot of land currently held by the state as holdover real estate from the rerouting of 28 near Jefferson. I would like to inguire if there would be any problems placing a tiny house on wheel on the 1/4 to 1/2 acre lot. (see attached picture of similar unit). This unit will be of off grid capabilities with approved composting toilet so no hookups will be required at inception. I do hope to be able to avail myself to utility services at a later date. This will be home base for the unit but it will be moved and utilized from time to time as a mobile living quarters for an on site security business and will be place at various sights as a presence for large construction projects to deture theft and vandalism after hours. I obviously do not wish to purchase the property and then find out it can not use it as planned and seek your approval of such a project prior to making the investment.

I will have to wait and see what the zoning board has to say about tiny homes on wheels.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby droid_ca » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:14 am

Wow, sounds good Bob. all the best getting your piece O land
Sounds like you are going at this in the right direction
Will keep my fingers crossed
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:19 am

MONDAY MORNING UPDATE.......

FRAMING

FILLERS CUT TO GO IN

OUTSIDE SHOT

INSIDE SHOT

GLUED AND SCREWED

CABOOSE END PROFILE

TRUSS WITH STUDS LEFT

TRUSS WITH BOTTOM CHORD FILLER STRIP INSTALLED

TEMP STABILIZERS

YEP MADE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER END 19 ' 11" AWAY :thumbsup:

even found time to toss a pork loin in the dutch oven for dinner :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm

:shock: AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :shock: :? :cry: :o
I could have went all day (or a life time for that matter) without seeing that!!!!!

bobhenry wrote:MONDAY MORNING UPDATE.......

GLUED AND SCREWED
CABOOSE END PROFILE (more like it)

Aaaaahhhh, that's more like it. :rofl: :lol: :gas:
bobhenry wrote:Image

Makin' good progress my friend, keep up that pace and you'll be sleepin in it before the leaves change. Good luck on the property / variance. My neighbor that you've met has a composting toilet installed in the apartment behind his house his dad used to live in, neat idea. :poop: The one before that actually had a propane burner for the pan under it that would turn, well, you know, "the stuff" into ash.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Hmmmm.... A surprise pin-up pic, aye, Bob? :lol: Remember to wear your sun lotion!

Glad to see you're making progress. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:00 am

Well I decided to get something done after work Tuesday so I thought I would build one of the cupalo bents to see what the overall height would wind up. I added 2 foot to the height of the common trusses for the cupalo rise and here is the results.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Makes my barn look kinda small
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had 5 gallon of deck sealer I bought at Habitat for almost nothing and it has sat for 10+ years because some genuis decided a black tint should be added. Well it seems after a decade the carbon black tint has solidified in the bottom so I just stirred it a bit and fished out a floating cap of binder that kinda resembled an albino inner tube and started pouring the treatment on with a coffee cup and smeared it around. I thought it might do more good on the wood than in the can for another 10+ years :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:23 am

Don't be confused by the 1st picture of the trusses The cupalo truss will be moved back 2 feet to start the 6 foot long cupalo. I simply clamped it to the first standing and stabilized bent to be able to get a measurment from the crown to the ground. So at 12"11" I will have to add the roof deck thickness the padding and the rubber roofing and there should be more than enough room for the center plank cat walk to be added and still stay under the 13'6" max height.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby WhitneyK » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 am

Bob,

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but with a 12' 11" height tothe top of your cupalo, are you planning on a sleeping loft / loft for your bed? :thinking:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels