big brother is watching

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

big brother is watching

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:30 am

Madison Co. to evict man from camper
Updated: Tuesday, 21 Dec 2010, 10:33 AM EST
Published : Tuesday, 30 Nov 2010, 10:25 PM EST

By: Brad Edwards
MADISON COUNTY, Ind. (WISH) - 72-year-old Dick Thompson isn't sure if he wants to fight or give up.

"I want to get the hell out of here right now — too much hate," Thompson says one minute.

"I think it's a bunch of bull," he says another, vowing to stay.

Thompson faces eviction from his 38 acres in Madison County. The county lawyer tells 24-Hour News 8 it's because Thompson is breaking too many rules, laws and ordinances; Thompson has no water, no sewer and no electricity in his recreational trailer that he calls home.

"I'm a country boy," explains Thompson. "I just want to be left alone."

Thompson is mighty fine, thank you very much — along with his dog, Ace, his horse, Fritz, his bird, Sunshine, and many more.

The eviction papers state go-time is “Nov. 30 at noon,â€
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby NonProfit » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:37 pm

In my neighborhood the look for too many people in one house. In Indiana they find one guy on 38 acres and they give him the same treatment. Sad.
NonProfit
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Maybe the eviction is an excuse to get rid of unsanitary conditions. Sometimes, people collect junk and trash, which is not only an eye sore but also calls rats and mice and even snakes, etc, and the cities/towns find old ordinances to enforce so they can get the owners to clean up their property because they don't always have any other way of doing that.

...Just a thought...dunno... :roll:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:18 pm

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/no ... om-trailer The picture does not show a great deal of clutter/junk
If he is taking care of waste disposal... what is the problem other than bureaucratic end product of hay through a male bovine.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/north_central/madison-county-evicts-man-from-trailer The picture does not show a great deal of clutter/junk
If he is taking care of waste disposal... what is the problem other than bureaucratic end product of hay through a male bovine.

It does look like a fairly clean site. I'm guessing it might have had something to do with waste disposal...? I'm thinking that a river or creek might be back behind him, in those trees. He could dumping waste down there somewhere and drinking the water from there, too. We just don't know enough.

Well, maybe the whole thing just 'went away' when the newsmen reported it. After all, that was a year ago. But, it would be interesting to know....

It would be a 'fur piece' for me to drive; but, maybe not for Bob or you....
Feel like a country drive?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby IndyTom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:05 pm

I just realized that this story is more than a year old. Do we know the gentleman's status as of today?

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:35 am

Here is 13 pages of really pissed off people and their views.....

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread635561/pg1

Lots of good thoughts about off grid living pro and con.

I am still looking into court records to find out what happened
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:29 am

I hope to get some info on the final outcome of this matter. Here is the letter sent to Channel eight.....

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local/no ... plans-move.

There are several thousand of us across the U.S.who are losing the grip on our homes a dollar at a time. I am planning a house on wheels to live out my retirement in and give up my home. I am deeply concerned in knowing the final outcome of this story. Do you have or would you be able to update this story. It would be very interesting to find the most recent use of the 38 acres. I am sure it was used in the counties best interest. This story by your reporter Blake Edwards gained national exposure and has had indepth forum discussions regarding the possibilities of some dark hidden agenda by the county. I think a follow up story is more than warrented it is needed to shine a light of truth on the outcome. I seems to me to smack of a simple land grab. It would be interesting to see what the elderly man was given for HIS PARENTS property. Could you and Would you please reopen this exposea and lets us see what has transpired.

Bob Henry
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Blotto Bros » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:31 pm

Slow...he lives on 38 acres!! Hardly the middle of a bustling city.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby BC Dave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:07 am

shesh! ... 72 year old guy lives on 38 acres .... in a trailer .... and people dont like it? ...there must be more to the story... I dont read the bible but I know ... one of the 10 comandments ... "though shalt not covent thine neighbour"... this IS rediculous; on 38 acres he has room to hide!; everthing! ... if he so wishes ... or not... :) People should gossip less, and mind there own beeezwax more >:I
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby gregp136 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 am

Things on the internet never die, they just keep resurfacing so people can get "re-upset".

Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Re: big brother is watching

Postby jstrubberg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:14 pm

I have a feeling there's more to this than the snippet of a story shows.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby viffer07 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:23 am

big brother isn't watchin, he's acting. that really isn't his 38 acres , he pays the govt every year for the privilege of using his own land. remember WACO and how those people got evicted? pray for this old man cause he's in the gun sights of the LAW.
viffer07
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Are any government organizations for "smaller government"? When I wanted to put up a 50 foot TV antenna the folks in the City Planner's office were boasting that they would "shut me down".

I "suggested" that they read a Federal Law (commonly known as OTARD) that gives me every right to put up an antenna tower.

I and they both contacted the FCC in Washington and of course their "story" was they had every right to stop me from installing the tower. The City Manager, the City Attorney, and I had a "sit down". I now have a letter from the city stating that they cannot stop me as their laws do not comply with Federal Law. If they do change their laws my tower will be "grandfathered" as a "non conforming structure".

You can fight "City Hall" and win. You just have to know more than they do! Sometimes that's not as difficult as it seems!

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Wimperdink » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:53 pm

I've wondered about things like this. This story sickens me. I have a lot to say about the governings of how people choose to live and I understand the reasons behind HOA's and zoning, but I will withold for now.

My question is, Can you build whatever you want, (within building code of course), hook up to city water/electric and just never use them? I realize it sucks to pay for the hookup fees, but if it makes you not have to fight someone in court, it may be worth it.

I wonder if he would be ok if he hooked up a composting toilet like a sunmar system, dug a well, and hooked up electric but just kept the breakers turned off.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels