big brother is watching

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: big brother is watching

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:59 pm

There are good reasons for building codes, most of the time. I watch Holms on Homes and you see the the consequences of shoddy construction/remodeling. But then I have known folks that built very interesting homes one out of Adobe another a well known architect artist who used concrete very Goudyesk shells.
I would still like to know the outcome of this.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: big brother is watching

Postby Engineer Guy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 pm

I've following this Story somewhat, but I would want to see some 'dry' information on the various Codes, etc., the Authorities are busting this guy on. Knowing both sides of the Story would be necessary to reach a fair conclusion...

I can comment on a few aspects, having built in a Building Code-free CO County. That is, there's no UBC Building Code adoption. So, to build a House required State Permits for Electrical and Plumbing and, especially, a Well. In-House Fresh and Waste Water Plumbing had to be inspected, as did Gas [Propane] Plumbing before the Walls were closed up. The Well had to be permitted in advance before any Driller would even touch the Job. A Permit is required to even sink a hole, even if the Pump is not set. Sometimes, this is done to 'Grandfather' in each State-numbered Well on the prioritized Water Rights System since Water Law changes over time.

County sign-off was req'd - after a Perc Test - on our Septic System and on Propane Tank setting/hookup.

1. Electrical - The local Rural Utility won't even think about hooking up and dropping a Transformer until they see the Permit. So, hooking up and not using the Breakers w/o that Permit is a non-scenario.

Low Voltage off-Grid is possible, but they're also coming under scrutiny. Grid Tie Systems, where Power generated is connected to, and sold back to, the Grid absolutely requires a State Permit. Utility Workers could be electrocuted if such Systems did not disconnect in prescribed ways, and if that work was not Inspected to Code.

2. Concrete Vault Toilets - Forest Service-type Outhouses - are allowed, but also require a Permit.

To the best of my knowledge, a Composting or Incinerating Toilet can be installed w/o Permitting.

3. We are ~3/4 Mile from the closest District Water System, so that run of Pipe - and monthly Water Bills forever - were less attractive than a Well. Connecting to this Water System required a 'very typical' Tap Fee or ~$13,000 or so, and that Fee goes up over time.

The first step in building was to get an Address for our raw Land. This ensures a new Driveway is not put at the crest of a dangerous Hill, etc.. However, in a cascading scenario, Permits cannot be pulled and Subs like Well Drillers won't show up without an 'official' Address.

Comparing Notes with Pals who've built elsewhere, I believe these CO Building legalities are pretty typical and fairly low key.

The kicker in this Story would be to know how 'reasonable' [or not] Local Authorities are being, and which issues are at stake. Water, Poop, and Electrical shortcuts can be serious, and could be inherited unknowingly by the next Property Owner.
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels