SEMI TRAILER HOME

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

SEMI TRAILER HOME

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:10 am

Don't know much about the site but what a transformation.......

http://www.mtnsh.com/?p=5224

Neat pics...... :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: SEMI TRAILER HOME

Postby Verna » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am

Interesting. It looks like they even have a solar array on top of the porch. See the battery storage room in the top bedroom?

I know the containers have been used on the West Coast for housing and offices, but I haven't heard too much about it in the Midwest. Surely there's a place to buy the empty containers around here.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Get thrown in jail and your land seized if you tried that here.
Try and get some building official to approve that.....NOT
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Martiangod wrote:Get thrown in jail and your land seized if you tried that here.
Try and get some building official to approve that.....NOT

The above statement doesn't seem to be entirely accurate: http://www.globalportablebuildings.com/

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jacquie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

That is so amazing!
Jacquie
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

We are working on shipping container conversion wall panels to convert unused containers into small residential live in units at one of our customers request.

While doing some research I found this site.......

http://residentialshippingcontainerprimer.com/Intermodal%20Shipping%20Container%20Home%20Floor%20Plans

Shows single and multiple unit floor plans for home and office conversions.

8x20 just happens to be the inside dimensions of the caboose :laughter:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ashleygries » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:14 am

My husband and I are actually looking into converting a shipping container into a portable house- we're not really 'stuck' in or on one location, so the idea of being able to transport our entire house around the country on a semi, or even overseas is very appealing. I've been doing a lot of research on it recently, and the idea is actually quite popular for modern home builders- here are some pictures that I've come across just this week.

This one is from a company in Canada, and the back part folds out to create twice as much space.

This one is pretty neat- the next photo is of it too. The side doors open to create a space to place the bed... weather permitting I suppose.

There are tons more out there, but these have been my favorite so far... :)
ashleygries
Teardrop Builder

Postby Martiangod » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 pm

There are municipalities around here that send bylaw after you for having a container on your 100 acre property for storage.
We sell mobile homes as well, And the fight to have one on private property is rediculas.
The greedy politicians and municiple employees, all they will permit is min 1500 square feet of taxable building.
If it does not fit into their little code book, then heaven help you
Its a shame with the shortage of affordable housing.
You couldn't get a more solid structure then a shipping container. And I could live quite comfortable in
5 or 600 square feet, or less, I live in a 8 by 35 travel trailer 6 months a year now
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Catoosa Grani » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Hi Bob Henry. I am really fascinated by these container homes. I really like the one that is 2 together with the curved cut out in between. Thanks for showing these and giving us ideas. Have you started your caboose yet? Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:08 am

You haven't been paying attention have ya Grannie !

:lol: :lol:

Going is slow, money is tight ,and the weather just teases us. 70 degrees last week and I woke up to snow and ice covered roads this morning. Chompin' at the bit to get a real run on this project who kidnapped spring :roll:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Catoosa Grani » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:57 pm

No I have missed a lot lately. I am just trying to get caught up and have been surprised at a few things I am learning. Boy, miss a few days and you are lost but miss a month and you just about have to start over. Thanks Bob Henry, hope you are doing o.k. Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby Engineer Guy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:38 pm

Yah, there's some super Container ideas out and about...

A pal in Seattle reminded me that an Insulated Container would be nice to start with. They're used for shipping Beef and other chilled Products to/from Brazil or Australia using a Diesel-power Reefer Unit. Such a Container would make for a nice, energy-saving Shell to start with.

In Taiwan, I've seen numerous Betel Nut Shops made from Containers. Truckers buy the mild stimulant Nuts to stay awake, and to chat up the leggy Gals that are hired to run them. Ubiquitous lime green Neon signage lights them up at night. On an important Road between Towns, a string of these colorful Shops is really something to see. Funny...

A Farming Neighbor got 8 - 40' Containers and stacked them 2 long by 2 high on 2 sides to comprise his Hay Barn. He connected the 2 sides with long Wood Trusses and roofed it with Galvanized Panels. This keeps his Hay and Equipment dry, and the ~9,000 lb. Containers sure aren't going anywhere.

Even before I recently saw a purpose-built 5th Wheel Trailer delivering a Container in New Mexico, towed by a 1 Ton Dually Truck, the ~$2,200- price in CO for a Container got me thinking there's money to be made delivering inland. Or, get them to our nearest City of Grand Junction by Railroad, and deliver them from there...

When I was researching them to purchase, I was told there were ~300,000 Containers around Long Beach CA. They can be made new in China cheaper than they can be shipped back, so they're around to be had, I guess. We got a helluva deal on a Modular Garage w/2 side 'Wings' that was a Model. We had it knocked down and set back up on a Concrete Slab after snagging it for 50% off the original price. So, that deal put the kaibosh on my Container search for now.

Betel Nut Shops
~Reality proceeds with or without your consensus~
Engineer Guy
The 300 Club

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels