HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:54 am

a few delayed pics.....

Here is the neich wall between the l/r and b/r the little plywood gussets are temporary to keep the legs seperated exactly to the width I wanted they will be removed. The center neich where the big sheet of plywood is will serve the livingroom, The neich where the ladder is located will serve the bedroom as will the one on the opposite end.

Here are the livingroom ceiling joists in place !

and the kitchen ceiling joists in place.

As the waste strips are 18" wide by 8' long I will install the decking on top diagonally and reverse the second ply. Here is the very first piece going in.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:08 am

Well a couple hours of work last night and the neich walls are all completed and check out as plumb and square and semetrically balanced left and right. Kind like a guy planned it huh?

Well I took all the little scabbed on plywood gussets in the picture above and they are gone now that all the studs are securely fastened into their upper wall plates. Here is the plan for the kitchen room hide away wall.

left to right: a broom closet, pantry for canned and boxed goodies, a let down table disguised as a bulletin and white board with what-not storage behind. next hang up skillets ect. and finally a spice pantry. There will be doors over the right and left sides I may dress them up with 8" wide by 7 foot mirrors I have had forever.

That's sure a lot of storage in 7 1/2 square feet of floor space :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Perhaps you could make those doors so that they could be folded down into benches on either side of the table? (You'[d need to switch the location of the spice rack and the pots and pans.) If the top part of those doors were to be hinged in a couple places, cross-ways, they could become the bench leg on one side of the bench (locked in position, when used either as part of the door or as the bench leg). They could still be hinged on the sides so you could open them side-ways; but, use separate side hinges at top and bottom so you could pull the door-type hinge pin from the top hinge to make it possible for that part to fold down. ...Just an idea for thought.... :thinking:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 pm

I live in the county outside big city limits...And some people have built big polllbarns and finish off part of them for living quarters.....My room addition I built 10 yrs. ago is a 30X60 pollbarn type construction insulated with 10'' thick Styrofoam coated with stucco over chicken wire and , metal siding a roof....

My old 30 X 60 pollbarn- wood shop is insulated with 300 straw bales stacked along the inside walls and 4'' thick 4'x8' sheets of Styrofoam suspended below the trusses....It never freezes in there even if I don't get the wood stove (the only heat source) going through the winter...
tn_PIC_1806.JPG
tn_PIC_1806.JPG (81.6 KiB) Viewed 6321 times
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Love the stove. We made one of those years ago and burnt our wood scraps. I think it was called a Sotz (SP) heater. That thing worked great. Wish I had a shop as big as yours.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:42 am

Len Sotz was a garage inventor from Ohio. He and later his son Steve brought us other such things as The Monster Maul and the newspaper log roller and a cant hook type lifter for firewood cutting. I suspect that when his patent ran out on the stove he was overrun by larger companys and couldn't compete with the likes of the United States Stove Company And Vogelzang Inc. Both of these companys offer a very similar barrel stove kit to this day.

Todays offering from U.S.S.C.

I posted this Oct 12th last year... I used the same basic design......

Right after my first divorce I went and lived with a buddy in a big old rambling farm house. We where both scratching for a living and heating that monster was expensive. Luckily I was working in Industrial maintainance and had assess to all kinds of plumbing junk and welders and power hacksaws and loads and loads of other toys so I made " Miss Piggy".

I dragged in a 15 ?? and a 20?? gallon water heater and added 2" pipe feet and a 2 1/2 coupling for her nose ( dampered intake air ) and in her back inserted two 4" pipes for heat tubes to the second stage combustion chamber then out the stack. This thing was truely remarkable 2 minutes after ligthing the fire the top tank was [color=#4040FF]hot hot hot
and the fire tank was still hugable. The off gasses were being driven off in the fire chamber and thanks to some poor welds, a few intake leaks at the 4" tubes added oxygen where shown and the gasses were now yellow and blue as your gas stove flame. With a stack damper and a nose intake damper the stove was very controlable and could be shut down almost at will. So in short don't dismiss a secondary air intake in the stack gasses this will make a really clean burning and very effecient heat stove.[/color]
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby oakinteriors1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:30 am

I put a steel plate for a baffle in the top drum, that is why the stack is toward the back....I have often thought of ideas to add to this stove, like tubing running the length of the top of the firebox to preheat the air intake....Also being a producer of saw dust, be nice to have a sort of screw fed sawdust hopper attachment.
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:29 am

Lest you think I have been goofing off I haven't ........

2 hours after work Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. I also took half a day of hookey from work on Thursday and set the joists and installed the front door.

I decided to line the porta potty room and the closet with painted osb since they are for the most part unseen and un heated areas. So it was installed after work last night.( Thursday)

All of the roof/ceiling joists are now in :thumbsup:

decking has just started. 8)

I have installed all of the electrical outlet and switch boxes :D
( ceiling boxes yet to go for ceiling fixtures)

I am taking Friday night off and gonna burn some T- Bone steaks on the grill. :beer:

Once decked I will be able to heat the area and have found mixed reports on the possibility of CO poisioning if I should use my two coleman lanters as a light and heat source during construction. What do you think

Yes I will have some pictures Monday :pictures:

Hope you all have a happy and productive weekend .

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Play it safe, Bob, and use an electric heater and electric lights, if you can.
Remember Mrs Murphy's cow kicked over the lantern that started the fire that burned most of Chicago! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pchast » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:22 pm

If you are totally closed in it is possible to have some
trouble after a long day working inside. Likely, I can't
predict. A little ventilation would make a big difference.
:thinking:
Just an opinion. I personally would not work that way.
:)
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:06 am

Last winter, inside of my 2 car garage, I fired up my Coleman stove, on very low heat. After about 20 minutes, I had a terrible headache and was somewhat dizzy. My wife comes out and says "What is that awful smell?". Since I was in the garage when that "heat source" was lite, I noticed no smell at all. I then shut the stove off and opened the garage door. I will not be doing that again. I didn't tell her, but she may very well have prevented a great tragedy. :? :?
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby oakinteriors1 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:36 pm

My dad had an old natural gas furnace in the garage, the kind with no blower, never had a problem....
Remember in the 80's, the portable kerosene stove craze....
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:06 pm

I was able to wrangle 65 more sheets of 17 3/8" x 8 foot 1/2" plywood rips out of the trash stream from work. :thumbsup:

Started Saturday to lay on the ceiling/floor over the house in a house. With my buddy skinny Jim's help we were able to get not quite 1/2 of the 20 x 26 living area covered with the first of two layers. The roof/floor will be used for storage as well so I guess some day in my spare time I will be building some stairs as well.

I left him on the "second floor" securing the panels to the ceiling joists while I installed the last of the electrical boxes and pulled the wire for the a/c electric. Still need to think thru the 12 volt dc system. :thinking:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 am

Well a couple hours last night and I was able to get some pics.......

I have a roof well at least 3/4 on and bird poo proof

You are in the doorway looking into the living room the missing section is the livingroom neich which will be shelved

Here you are in the bedroom looking at the back side of the kitchen neich wall.

Here is the front. Yep junk is in the way and it needs trim and paint and the door is just temporarly in place but just think of it as the "before" picture. You can tell from this picture the plywood was installed at a 45 degree angle and I have let the ends run wild to be trimmed off later. Bird stops will need to be installed between each joist and a large trim board installed over the joist ends. I am applying a second layer of 1/2 plywood square and true with the joist over top of the first layer for a full inch floor then it can be used as a storage loft as well.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:27 pm

You're making good progress, Bob. It looks like it'll turn out nice.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels