HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby oakinteriors1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 pm

Darn, Bob You and I have a heck of a lot in common,,,,15 years ago I sold our house in the city to move to the country...I bought an old run down modular home on 1.5 acres...Gutted it and redid the floorplan all plumbing, electrical, furnace, windows....when that was done, we moved in..Then added a pole barn addition 30X60 which 1/2 was garage...Covered the outside in steel -barn siding and a metal roof......

The wood shop is in an old existing 30 X 60 pole barn with, concreete floor,near our house...I did the improvements on it, turning it into a cabinet shop....Over 300 straw bales for wall insulation 4'' thick 4' X8' styrofoam ceiling panels for insulation....You know even without the wood stove going , one winter it did not freeze inside.....
It can be cooled with a "small" window unit...yea with a little fan to circulate the air it cools down a 30 X60 in a HOT summer......
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r302 ... 962c77.jpg
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:52 am

bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:While not related to the house in a house here is how I have been spending some of my weekends just to stay busy. :laughter:

OLD POST UPDATED 8/18/14

Got some new pics of the pole barn project.

pegged the diagionals with 1" hardwood dowels

The 2 foot cantilever at the ends will support fly rafters so total length will be 24 foot ( no wasted plywood ) :D

here is one peg being driven in. Note the hurricane clips on each truss to plate connection !

UPDATED AGAIN Here is the latest with the roof shingled

The little growth on the back is a 5 foot tall dog house addition. It will be open behind the tractor just in case the bush hog mower gets backed in a bit too deep.
The bottom girt board in the pic will be removed for the 12 foot width. The little 3 x 4 area remaining on the far end is reported to be a future nesting box for a few chickens. :?

Sure would make a nice tiny house :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Well Craigslist was good to me. I located a vent free thermostaticly controlled LP fireplace. I picked it up for $270 on Saturday :thumbsup:

Variable 10,000 to 28,000 BTU it probably will never run on anything other than low. It is sized so that it will fit into the lower portion of the living room neich. I will get some pictures soon.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:51 am

Well the burner unit is installed. Had to call in the reserves. I must admit I was hesitant to start taking apart the fireplace to find out why it wouldn't light. Called a fellow who I know that dabbles in heating and cooling and begged him for some help. Seems those little tiny spiders really like tiny spaces for nests and egg laying. After removing and blowing, beating, and banging, and blowing, some more we had the pilot tube clear enough it would allow gas to flow and support the pilot light.

It was so nice to have heat :campfire:

I will need to cut down the beautiful cherry surround to make it fit the neich but it will look fantastic when done.

I am going to line around the burner unit with steel barn siding I scrounged up as an extra fire safety precaution. It is a zero clearance unit but why not take the extra step. The fireplace controls well and has a thermostatic control that cycles the burn in and out and the blower fan is also thermostaticly controlled. Encouraged by my progress I took all day Saturday and finished the last of the drywall on the walls by finishing out the bedroom closet wall. Put corner trim on the tee wall ends and cut down the neich shelves removed from the living room to fit in one of bedroom neichs. It looks like a very nice built in bookcase. I was going to get pictures but the batteries in the camera had died. I promise I will get them posted soon.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:06 am

Got a few projects completed ! With winter nipping at my heels I was finally able to get a shot of the fireplace burner unit in action.

I was also able to get the drywall completed on the walls in the bedroom and install the closet door.

And even got a shot of the right neich completed ( but needing paint)

I gotta get the ceiling insulated really really soon.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby camaro2813 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:43 am

bob, are you planning on living there all winter? Also whats the latest on your caboose? buddy of mine said he no longer sees it sitting out along 28
camaro2813
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:55 am

The caboose is still there ! I have a couple of fellows interested in purchasing it and/or the land we will be talking Friday night.

I am attempting to live in the house in a house most of the winter. My sister is close by so I have an option. My only real concern is the dog. I would be at work and she will be at home alone. I worry about running out of LP for the fireplace as it is being fed off of #20 cylinders right now.

You two are flying right along when do I get an invite to see it in person?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Bob, get or make your little dog a foam-style dog house or something like that so that, if the heat goes out, the dog can hunker down in there. A dog's fur coat can help them a lot. They actually do better in the cold than they do in the heat.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:43 am

Build the dog a foamy ?????
:thinking:

Not a bad idea! :thumbsup:

A small door and a 60 watt light bulb might just make it comfortable for her.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 am

You better hurry Bob, No 60watt bulbs soon! :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:05 am

Hum...a house in a house in a house oh my!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Juneaudave wrote:Hum...a house in a house in a house oh my!

:laughter:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:49 am

bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:
bobhenry wrote:While not related to the house in a house here is how I have been spending some of my weekends just to stay busy. :laughter:

OLD POST UPDATED 8/18/14

Got some new pics of the pole barn project.

pegged the diagionals with 1" hardwood dowels

The 2 foot cantilever at the ends will support fly rafters so total length will be 24 foot ( no wasted plywood ) :D

here is one peg being driven in. Note the hurricane clips on each truss to plate connection !

UPDATED AGAIN Here is the latest with the roof shingled

The little growth on the back is a 5 foot tall dog house addition. It will be open behind the tractor just in case the bush hog mower gets backed in a bit too deep.
The bottom girt board in the pic will be removed for the 12 foot width. The little 3 x 4 area remaining on the far end is reported to be a future nesting box for a few chickens. :?

Sure would make a nice tiny house :thinking:

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE :D

And yet another update

As I think I mentioned I called in the troops as I only had one good hand and Sammy and Allen jumped up and finished weathering in the barn. All that is left is a garage door and service door installation and about 200 feet of corner and joint trim and it's done done done !

Yep we mixed in a few shingles as we were running short!

These two south facing openings will be glazed with the last of Chubby's bronze lexan as celectrial windows.

Found an absolutely free 9 light wood door and it more or less matches the 4 light horizontal slider windows windows beside it.

Last edited by bobhenry on Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:53 am

Well it's been real slow around my place. I didn't plan it that way it just happened. Wednesday the 22nd I spent 9 hours in a couple hospitals. Having two mangled fingers amputated. Yep A dumb ass attack while ripping 1x4's on a table saw. I did not run them thru the saw I reached over the MUCH TO HIGH blade to pull the material on thru the blade as the cut ended. Well about the 7th or 8th board I was concentrating on a knot in a board and was standing a couple of inches further back from where I had been. I reached and lowered my hand into the blade mangling the index and middle finger severely lacerating my ring finger and scared the hell out of my pinkie with a heavy scratch and impromptu nail trim. Prepped in the Lafayette hospital I was sent by ambulance to Indy to a hand care center located at IU MED hospital. The surgery lasted a little over an hour and I am very lucky to have had a great hand surgeon. The saw entered the tip center and exited the nail beds so the pad of the fingers remained and after shortening and tidying up the mangled 1st digit bones He was able to pull most of the pad itself over the missing end of the two shortened fingers and close. I guess if they ever want to fingerprint me I will now have to poke the paper :D

Lessons learned

Blade guards get in the way for a reason and should be in place at all times.

Extend the blade to just where it clears the cut not 1 1/2" above the board because you were too lazy to crank the blade down.

Keep you eyes locked on that blade it can be your best friend one minute and your worst enemy the next.

Although my accident had no bearing on these....

Always use a push stick.

Install a feather board to keep the material tight to the fence rather than pushing it into the fence with your hand, you hand can slip.

I do join an elite group of fellow Hoosier's! Handyman Dan and our chapter president Kurt have war pictures of badly lacerated thumbs.

I am hoping for a speedy recovery as I still have way to many projects to get busy on.

As a very special side note I would like to give special knod of appreciation to the tiny trailer groups for the dozens and dozens of new friends I have made over these last 7 years. No greater example can be made than My being able to call Scuba Jeff,( a young man I brow beat into joining our group in 08) for help.

He has become like a little brother and we talk a lot. I am sure he was not expecting me to ask such a special favor as to rescue me from the hospital at 1 am. But he gladly did it for me. He put me up for the night and drove me home the next day. You can not buy that kind of friendship. I set here with tears welled up in my eyes in deep gratitude for the blessings I do have, they far outweigh the trials and tribulations of life. A very special thank you to Scuba Jeff.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:27 pm

Sorry to read about your shop accident Bob. This is the first I learned of it. I had an employee do the exact same thing many years ago. He left woodworking and went into IT work after his accident. Can't say I blamed him. Hope you heal up quickly and get back to all your projects as soon as possible. See ya around the fire in 2015! :beer:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels