HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:06 am

Well it is starting to look a bit more like a house and less like a construction site :D

sure looks different with a door and drywalled :beer: :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Yes it does look more homey and I know you're feeling better about getting things done. The glass door is perfect for the closet area too. Can't wait to see it. :thumbsup:
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:24 am

And it was a $10.00 yard sale find from beautiful downtown Plainfield
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:36 am

I awoke to the patter of rain on the barn roof. Well patter might be a bit soft of a term, at times it was pounding. Inside the house it was muffled thanks to some of the insulation and drywall I have already added.

Since outside work was a bit out of the question I decide to get very serious on the continued insulation and drywall project. I am happy to report the living room end wall is now complete the kitchen area is complete and the bedroom only needs 3 more sheets to also be completed. I needed to decide how to frame the bedroom closet before being able to complete these 3 sheets. It really is starting to look very much like a house ( in a house)

I need help and a drywall lift to do the ceiling so it is left till last. Not a smart thing to do but it was just the way it happened.

Yep I'll get a couple of pictures and add them soon.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:10 pm

What do you do at 3 AM if you can't sleep ?

Build a roll around kitchen island what else ?

Yep I got this little chest from a friend for my shop last weekend. The little cabinet was gonna get four of the dozens and dozens of casters the previous tenant left behind installed to make it a roll around work bench in the shop area.

HOWEVER !

Some times plans change. I got it cleaned and polished up and it was too pretty to toss tools in.

My campin' buddy Jeff had given me a nice formica bar top long ago so I flopped it on top of the cabinet and it looked doable so I went to work.

It is sure nice to have a 2500 sq ft shop right outside your front door.

I spaced up with a layer of 1/2"plywood and installed 2 large pieces of 2 x 12 which were drilled to accept the casters. These 2x12 were screwed to the chest.

Flopper it over and it rolled like a dream ! Centered the top and screwed to thru the chest frame into the counter top.

Now I have extra counter space when needed and the top overhangs at the rear enough that I can pull up the bar stools for a dinning table.

The best part as usual all of the components were free !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:11 pm

What do you do at 3 AM if you can't sleep ?

Build a roll around kitchen island what else ?

Yep I got this little chest from a friend for my shop last weekend. The little cabinet was gonna get four of the dozens and dozens of casters the previous tenant left behind installed to make it a roll around work bench in the shop area.

HOWEVER !

Some times plans change. I got it cleaned and polished up and it was too pretty to toss tools in.

My campin' buddy Jeff had given me a nice formica bar top long ago so I flopped it on top of the cabinet and it looked doable so I went to work.

It is sure nice to have a 2500 sq ft shop right outside your front door. ( You can work in your jammies )

I spaced up with a layer of 1/2"plywood and installed 2 large pieces of 2 x 12 which were drilled to accept the casters. These 2x12 were screwed to the chest.

Flopper it over and it rolled like a dream ! Centered the top and screwed up thru the chest frame into the counter top.

Now I have extra counter space when needed and the top overhangs at the rear enough that I can pull up the bar stools for a dinning table.

The best part as usual all of the components were free !

It is enough of a match to the cabinets to be passable....Image

As you see in this picture the sides are naked. I think I will have to break down and buy some peg board and cover the sides. Then they can be utilized as large cooking utensil storage.

The back is unfinished also but I have several sheets of nice 1/4" birch plywood. A little stain and a little poly and its gonna be beautiful.

While not related to the house in a house here is how I have been spending some of my weekends just to stay busy. :laughter:

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:50 am

Speaking of new furniture and cabinets..........

I know it's really not tiny house related but I just had to tell someone about my good luck or burst.

I have been looking for extra large chess pieces for over 2 years. E - Bay , Craigslist and everywhere else. Well last Thursday was the day ! :D

The board was made by my great uncle for my grandfather. It was handed down to my dad and is now mine. I attached it to the pedestal from a little country table.

Last Thursday I saw a sign for a yard sale. I looked and looked for the address. Why I persisted I don't know but after 10 minutes of wandering around I was able to get this set for $15.00 :twisted: There is some dried gray mold on the pieces indicating they were stored in some damp basement or such. I will clean the Maple pieces with linseed oil and most probably will polish the dark Walnut pieces with cordovan shoe polish. I used some black on the black rook and the pawn on the right of the board and they look good but I would like to keep more of the walnut look.

Like I said it's not really tiny house related but I had to tell someone !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Fantastic find! :thumbsup:

Back in the days when I ran a beach at a camp. We played chess at night on
the rec room floor 12x12" squares with a standard size set. I would have
loved something at least as big then.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Your "new" chess set looks very nice. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 am

bobhenry wrote:While not related to the house in a house here is how I have been spending some of my weekends just to stay busy. :laughter:

OLD POST UPDATED 8/18/14

Got some new pics of the pole barn project.

pegged the diagionals with 1" hardwood dowels

The 2 foot cantilever at the ends will support fly rafters so total length will be 24 foot ( no wasted plywood ) :D

here is one peg being driven in. Note the hurricane clips on each truss to plate connection !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tac422 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:08 am

Admittedly I don't know a lot about this, :) but shouldn't the wood pegs be at a different angle ? Maybe straight in or even angled up slightly ?
It looks like the angled beam could just slide down and off the peg :thinking:
Just looks funny to me ...
tac422
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:37 am

tac422 wrote:Admittedly I don't know a lot about this, :) but shouldn't the wood pegs be at a different angle ? Maybe straight in or even angled up slightly ?

Hell if I know! I just put them in 90 degrees to the direction of travel of the diagonal member. The push will have to sheer a 1" hardwood peg. It should hold more force than a few 4" screws. The 100+ year old pin and peg barns I have repaired had theirs in this way.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am

tac422 wrote:Admittedly I don't know a lot about this, :) but shouldn't the wood pegs be at a different angle ? Maybe straight in or even angled up slightly ?

Is there a different up than this one ?

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tac422 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:39 am

Bob,
I do admire your work, and think it looks GREAT !
Can't argue with 100 years ...
:applause:
I'm thinking about building something similar ....
I could just wait and see, but what will you use for roofing ?
tac422
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Tried to talk the owner into steel. That way I wouldn't need so many trusses. She wanted standard sheet decking and shingles. Siding will be t-111 rough sawn cedar faced plywood with 8" on center grooves. Windows will be two 30" x 30"
paired up in each 10 x 9 section and the same centered in the back wall all stationary for security. The front shows a 12' wide x 9 tall opening and a not quite 4' wide x 9' tall opening. I sourced a free full view all steel exterior door on craigslist in the free section. I will install this for a man door. The owners boss had a new 16' garage door installed and donated the old fiberglass and aluminum one to the cause. It is in great shape with all the track and hardware so a hour or so with a grinder and cut off blade will transform the door into a custom sized 12' - ?" wide roll-up door. All that work and $ for her new little baby........

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels