HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 am

Well with the shivaree canceled due to life threatening weather I attempted to return the barn back home in the 3000 sq ft storage barn.

What a thrill !

The building is ringed with what I guess I should call an alley in the rear and a long lane (driveway) at the front.

I decided it would be best to enter in the somewhat protected alley at the rear and turn at the corner of the building to get to the front door using a rear approach. WELL !

To my surprise as I blasted into the alley it went from 8 - 10 inches of snow to 28" of snow drifts. I stood on it and attempted to make the 90 degree right turn to the side of the building and down the lane onto the front entrance. I had intended to swing into the front of the building and back the barn back into the building. As I rounded the corner too fast I saw before me 3+ feet deep snow. Well ,panic stepped in and I stood on the go pedal with the barn following dutifully. I immediatly thought only of gettint back to the plowed road out front. Down to about 8 MPH and the speedometer registering 40 + I just made the road. As I hit the clear road the truck grabbed and turned right, the little barn followed with a hell of a hop and a jerk. We had escaped barely!

Yes it still sets in the side yard at the bank's house waiting for spring ( or a little melt even) With 4+ inches this weekend I was unable to move any of the larger furniture as planned and with 8 - 10 " more expected Tuesday night I have to side with the snow man...............

I did redesign Dad's walker to better serve us thru this snowy winter season.

I had him try it out for us this Sunday. :lol:

I would have done it but it was a "light" snow and he needed the exercise :oops:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:19 pm

:shock: :? Bob you never cease to amaze me. I sure hope things work out well for you. Love the fireplace!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby AceMan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 pm

Good idea redesigning that walker for your Dad Bob. You DON'T want to hurt your back doing something silly like shoveling snow before the house project is finished. :lol: :peace:
AceMan
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 am

bobhenry wrote:Well the time might be at hand......

Got an offer on the house today in response to the short sale. I gave it my OK all the rest is up to the bank !

Well I have two homes 1/2 built ( but livable) and both are illegal to live in. The adventure is about to begin in probably 30 days. :lol:

UPDATE !

Well the short sale offer info got back to me ( which is not supposed to happen ) :NC

The buyer offered $ 12,500 :shock:

I put $ 26,000 in the kitchen addition ,new roof ,and all new vinyl siding ,and windows, and my boys , my buddies and I did all the work. I don't know whether to laugh or cry :frightened:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:32 am

Something just does not smell right. Do you have a reassurance, from the lender that if they accept the short sale offer you will not be responsible for the difference? I don't know what the real estate prices are in your area are but the lot must be worth more then that.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm

The bank countered at $33,000 .

The short sale is between the bank and the buyer and I am out of the picture and held harmless.

If it goes to forclosure in lieu of short sale I can be held responsible for the debt if I had assets to attach.

So I'm voting for a short sale. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:37 pm

I know everyone is wanting something for nothing but that price is a real insult. Yes it needs some work but it's basically just the cosmetic stuff that won't take that much to accomplish, and anyone buying the place is going to want to redecorate to meet their own style anyway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the sort sale will go through so it takes the burden off you. Good luck!!!!
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Well I have been froze out of the barn for 38 days now ! I am kinda glad I wasn't living there yet I would have been doing a lot of shoveling. I have located 4 six volt golf cart batteries at a bargain for the 2 solar systems I have unopened in the roof top storage. I have located an IBC (individulas bulk container) for harvested water. and another little LP fire place if needed. I did get the gas line fully installed and it's ready for final leak check. I chose to place 3 gas valve outlets. one at the living room neich one directly across at the front wall and the 3rd will serve the cook stove on the left or kitchen wall across from the kitchen neich wall. I have some nice old steel youngstown kitchen cabinets that I am going to paint to match the antique Magic Chef gas stove's yellowish green color.

Well tonight I am going to attemp an assault on the frozen mess. Tomorrow is 58 and rain so I know the snow will be leaving very soon and I can get back at it. :worship:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:24 pm

bobhenry wrote:
Wanna Be wrote:Can anyone say Green Acres ??????????

They had a door in their closet too.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After I picked myself up off the floor from laughing I couldn't help but think I have the caboose painted in the Cannonballs colors and now I have the Douglas's door in the closet.

So if I get a land line should I place it at the top of a telephone pole outside in the yard ........?

UPDATE~~~~~

WELL we no longer have Ralph of the Monroe brothers construction company....

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140218/OBITUARIES/302180035/-1/rss12
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 am

Well the assault on the storage building went well...

Well in the aspect that I didn't get stuck in the 18" of wet sloppy snow still in the drive.

I never stopped moving I just kept the pedal to the floor and prayed to escape.

I awoke today to rumbles of thunder and flashes of lightning and a good soaking rain maybe this will settle down the snow a bit more.

Still snowed out :x
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22 am

Weather update......

Hey grass is green ;)

This Saturday morning I was able to purchase 4 one year old solar batteries. Four interstate 6 volt ultra deep cycle batteries for $200.00. A great craigs list find.

My solar panels now have one more piece of the system. I guess an inverter is in order next and I will be in business.

Yes I was able to see the driveway and able to get in the storage building. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 pm

one good source of cheap batteries I use, go to a batteries plus, (I imagine most places that sell batteries do the same) and ask about the "rotates", the batteries that sat on the shelf brand new, unused until they hit the limit of shelf life (2 years IIRC) they then take them off the shelf and brand the top of the case. The batteries plus near my work sells them for $20-$40 depending on the size you want. (the batteries were charged on a regular cycle, the only down side is they come with no warranty)
bring an old battery to trade in or you will pay the recycle/core charge otherwise ($10 in NH)
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:17 am

Well I purchased a 2000 watt inverter this weekend. Just one more piece of the puzzle. Have had 2 sets of the horrible worthless Harbor Freight panels since June of 13. ( Just thought I would beat you snobs to the punch). This is a learning experience for me so it was a less expensive place to start and learn.

I am designing the glider trailer to become a stand alone rain water harvester with a 275 gallon IBC tank for storage. I will mount the solar panels on the side so as to be able to be able to aim them by hinging them at the top. They will be vertical for transport and locked to the proper angle for the proper season for operation when set. The hot air furnace will mount similarly and generate heat for an insulated chamber for the water tank and since the water will retain the heat I will include the battery storage in that area as well. Flat on top will be 2 or 3 glass bottomed open topped rain water gathering troughts made from insulated patio door glasses. Under the glass will be black plastic cold water tubing for the hot water generation unit. On the tongue will be the fresnel lense gray water reduction unit consisting of a steel gray water tank and an aimable fresnel lense to boil down the volume of waste water. The resulting distilled water can simply float away as vapor or be gathered and condensed to place into the batteries when make up water is needed. I hope to also install a wind generator that will mount to the trailer and fold for transport and lock upright for operation. I am sure there will be other features available as well. Perhaps a wood fired boiler or wood stove for yet another heat source. The main reason for the trailer mounted utility generating station is to keep it mobile and my housing options open should I have to prove the improvements are truly mobile.
This way it can be shared with the caboose or the house in the house as needed without duplicating the expense of setting up two seperate systems.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 am

Well I took a 120 mile trip Saturday but came home with my water storage tank 8)

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 am

WOW, nice water tank Bob. You should not run out of water now!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels