HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:07 am

Well Saturday was fluff and buff day. Got all the trash gathered up (construction and household) and got it ready to take to the big dumpster at work. Stopped off at the banks house and made a cruise thru to make a final good junk check. I picked up 5 or 6 boxes of goodies I had missed in cabinets and closets.

Sherrif's sale is June 11th. Good bye house :NC

Back at the house in a house I dropped off the latest finds and picked up the trash for the trip to work. While at work I picked up the 4x4's and 4x6's for the frame work of a 12 x 20 small pole barn I will be building for a friends tractor loafing shed. Back at the house in the house I shelved the remainder of the kitchen niech wall and installed wall insulation in the living room area. Not a lot of progress but my left wrist and shoulder are still killing me from the ladder slipping out from under me while I was just about to step onto the 8 foot mezzanine roof last week. No I didn't crack the concrete floor :lol:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Good days are ahead Bob. Once you get organized you can sit and relax. Life will be good! :beer:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:51 am

Well neich #3 and #4 are complete The two little shelve units on the right are now complete. I placed 2 small shelves above the right end unit and left enough downstairs for the mop and broom closet. The other was lined on left and right side with 1/4" peg board and the rear wall was faced with 1/2" white melamine faced plywood. I hung the smaller skillets and cornbread molds on the sides and placed screws in the melamine board to hang the larger skillets from. I promise I will find the damn camera tonight. ( It has been misplaced since the last camping outing.) I really want to show it off. All that is left is the large center neich. I am thinking about a drop down table but I would sure like to have shelving for my aqua blue ball canning jars with all the kitchen goodies in them. Maybe a nicely designed spice rack incorporated into them as well. This puts everything at eye level and easy reach while cooking.

The only change from this drawing is that the broom closet moved to the right end instead of the left.

Updated picture......

Last edited by bobhenry on Tue May 06, 2014 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Well already for tornado season now !

Just put $25,000 renters insurance on the barn contents.

It was $302.00 for the year :D

Won't they be surprised that I am storing a house in there :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 am

Got home last night and grabbed a tape measure.

All day the thought of this piece of furniture was bothering me.

It turned out the center neich was 42 1/2" clear side to side.

The top on this little cabinet measured 42" :thumbsup:

So I shoved it in the center neich and blocked it in place.

I will flank the side and rear walls
with the 1/2 white melamine plywood. To give it a built in look. The ball jars will be shelved above.

I am still thinking of a let down table that could rest on the counter top and protrude out into the room enough to make a great table or counter work space. It would simply flip up and act much like a pantry door when not in the down position. A big thank you to Nan for the freebie cabinet.
Last edited by bobhenry on Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:53 am

You're very welcome. I'm glad it's going to work for you. Here's a thought......how bad do you need the let down work table inside if you have all the space in the storage area to build yourself a full size work space? Didn't you have plans to put a workstation on the outside of the house, between the closet & the bathroom? Just wondering. :thinking:
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:01 am

I have the workbench outside but I didn't want to go out there to roll out noodles or mix up a cake ! :)

My luck a birdie might poop in it !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 am

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about kitchen work space. I was just remembering a lot of other work related projects going on in the kitchen....lol
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:28 am

Like wine bottle lamps ?
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nansplace » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 am

Yep, as well as lumber cutting, painting wood moldings, etc. LOL The lamps were just the easiest clean up projects. LOL
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:50 am

Well at least I was paper trained...........................

:rofl2:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 06, 2014 6:10 am

Guess who finally found his missing camera.......

Here are the promised pictures of the kitchen neiches as they are today.

looking left to right

I am still working on some type of doors ( maybe ) and the center neich will contain my old aqua ball jars filled with flour, sugar, coffee , corn meal, beans , pasta and many more necessary dry cooking ingredients.

The let down table will probably be a hollow core 42" door installed in the center neich and don't you love the look of the black cast iron on the white background.

OH here are the freebie cabinets installed in the potty room and the master closet.

All materials were here when I rented the building or were taken from the trash stream at the plant. The metal shelves were explained earlier but they were a salvage rescue for free also.

I LOVE FREE ! :thumbsup:

Oh the little white cabinet free from a friend Thanks Nan!
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 11, 2014 10:49 am

Got crazy Saturday......

went from this.....

to this....

don't you love my little $4.48 pendant light ! :thumbsup:

From my favorite store....... ;)

Last edited by bobhenry on Mon May 12, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 11, 2014 2:31 pm

You're getting there, Bob! It's starting to look like "home". :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon May 12, 2014 7:22 am

I now have a renewed interest in getting the 12 volt systems up and running. I awoke at 2 AM and it was dark, VERY dark!

I mean the kind of dark at the bottom of a mine without lights. I found myself feeling for walls and trying not to trip over construction junk. My first fear was a replay of the power mast being torn off of the building. I rolled the roll door open enough to see NO ONE had lights so it was just a simple power outage. I had pulled my pick up into the building because of the threat of quarter size hail. Well I flipped on the headlights to the truck and with the glow from them was able to locate my flashlight and the ol' brooklyn lanterns. ( Lesson learned have a place for backup lighting !)
Now able to navigate I plopped in the reclined and turned on a box fan so when the power came on the fan would wake me.

It had been a real productive day, I had removed and re-framed the front door and installed a dead bolt and keyed lock set in the door. It took far longer to get the door to register in the opening correctly the rough framing seemed to be just a bit out plumb. Now it latches nice and could be locked why I would want to I don't know. All it needs now is a couple of pieces of door stop trim. I do still have to take the door down one more time to get it refinished.

Moved on to little electrical needs that were not properly addressed earlier like a closet light and a light in the 4x4 area with the clipped wall. I also need to illuminate Mr. Stinky's room. I did install a nice wall sconce between the two windows in the living room. Oh yeah the old magic chef gas stove is in place in the kitchen and the living room neich has 5 new shelves.

Not to bad a day considering I was just putting around and never really got serious about doing much of any one thing.

:beer:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels