HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: HOUSE IN A HOUSE

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:11 am

godskid wrote:How far do you have to hike in, to this "no rut" location? Would they allow a bike trail or a skinny path like that?

IT'S NOT BAD ABOUT THE LENGTH OF A FOOTBALL FIELD ! OOPS! damn cap lock.

Saturday I removed all the leveling blocks from under the caboose to get it ready to roll. I loaded the blocks and timbers and hitched up the long long glider trailer and towed it to it's new home. I need to repair a flat tire and the caboose should be ready to roll. Have 10 days left on the court deadline to move the tiny house. It will be temporarily placed outside the big building that the house in a house is located in. It will spend about a month there waiting for the ground in the meadow to dry thoroughly. It's kinda nice that the towing path is almost in a direct line 20 miles on one hop and 25 on the other leg. I will be like a kid at christmas when it gets located. There are tanks , solar equipment, pumps, plumbing parts, heaters and solar accessories that will finally be removed from the shop and installed in and on the glider "UTILITY" trailer. The 8x20 flatbed is already on site and only needs a nice wood decking installed. Crazy as it is a buddy I hadn't seen all winter I stopped and visited last weekend. In talking about my project he piped up that he had 5/4 treated decking material extra from one of his projects and it was mine if I wanted to haul it away. My answer was of course yes! After all I love free !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:46 am

Well back to the house in a house remodel......

Woke up about midnight and could not sleep. I decided to try and install the insulated panel scraps from work onto the cold concrete floors.

These 7/16 osb fiberglass faced panels have fused on the back side a 1" fiberglass strand reinforced foam. These became " giant floor tiles" and were simply laid in place to give an R 6.6 insulation value to the concrete floor to aid in cooling as well as heating the HIH. I installed about 12 panels to the living room floor from midnight to 3 AM with a full room of furniture to move here and there to allow installation. The amazing thing is the tiles were a factory 4' x a fat 3'. The room was 9' 1" wide and 3 panels went wall to wall exactly. In fact they were so exact I had to place 2 panels edge to edge and stomp them down. Entire room was done and only 2 panels required cutting. Very very luckily the bedroom is also the same identical 9' 1" wide so it will go just as easy. Someone up there loves me :angel:

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed May 06, 2015 8:04 am

Well in about 9 days I will have been renting the big storage building for two years. It just doesn't seem possible. It has been home since mid June of last year when I gave the house of 25 years back to the bank and the zoning folks wouldn't give the caboose their blessing. This very frugal living has allowed me to whittle away at my personal bills. A year ago I had almost 14k in credit card debt and a big truck payment. The truck is now paid in full and I am less than $1800 still in debt on credit cards. I wrote a $2700 check to Citi last week and it felt so damn good to get them off my back completely. The remaining card will disappear this month and all I will have is a couple medical bills remaining from the five I had had from the fingers amputation in October. Living tiny has helped me to be able to make this leap. I am looking forward to setting the caboose and starting on my off grid life but the "SHOP" will remain a second home at the ready when I desire. I do kinda miss the sun when I am in the house in a house. When the big roller door closes you are sealed from the outside world. The big building has heavy filon sky lites so it is well illuminated during the day but not a single window looking out. I feel safe and secure and with the little house inside now fully insulated you hear very little of anything. It was raining heavily the other evening and I was settled down in my recliner and thought I heard something strange so I got up to investigate. I opened the front door and the thunderous drumming of the rain on the steel building made it quite obvious what the strange noise was. With the walls ceiling and now the floors super insulated it is easy to maintain a comfort level and it sure deadens the sounds as well. After the hoosier spring gathering the caboose will be placed in a wonderful pastural setting among big monster oaks and maples. I will be starting a new thread based on the utility trailer transformation for off grid services. Well enough babbeling for now, just wanted to brag about my latest financial status.
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed May 06, 2015 8:26 am

Congratulations. Doing good work there.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Wed May 06, 2015 9:27 am

Way to go Bob!!!!! It is an amazing feeling to be free of debt! :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Shar » Wed May 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Glad things are turning to the good!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Wed May 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Glad things are coming together Bob. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed May 06, 2015 11:15 pm

Glad to know that more than just your head is now above water. :thumbsup: Keep a-going.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 21, 2015 7:21 am

Zoning laws :x

Let me tell you about zoning laws :x

Never mind I paid the fine and removed my tiny house and that made the zoning folks happy.

I found an interesting twist to get around the minimum square footage laws.

You may have to borrow a buddies pool table to convince the powers that it's a family room but the thought left me with a big smile.

It kinda reminded me of my 500 sq ft tiny house being built in a 3000 sq ft building :D

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:13 am

Well I finally got off of my butt and took pictures of some older projects. I went to my favorite store (Goodwill) and about a week apart I found an orphaned hutch top and a couple of real nice 40" corner wall cabinets.

I looked at the top for 3 days and finally on ol farts day (30% off) it was still there. So the 12.99 cabinet was now $9.10 plus tax so I tossed the dice. The new flat screen TV I bought myself for Christmas fit absolutely perfect :o

I bit the bullet and grabbed these as soon as they hit the floor I thought it would be a lot of storage for 14.99 per cabinet. I tried to beat them up on one as it was coming apart but they stood their ground and I bought both anyway. The one just needed a little love and some glue and was as good as new. :D

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 am

Well it was hot and I was bored so I started another hair brained project last night.

Decided that since I had a 4 foot tall stack of 3 x 4 foot sections of zip wall laying around II would find a use for it.

Remember this little pantry/utility room

well here is where it was last night

still poorly or even uninsulated in areas!

Took the zip wall and after careful measurement grooved for the studs and used it to line the walls.

Since it is primarily storage I thought the fiberglass face would take the beating of pots and pans and
other rough storage. It also gives a solid face for shelving attachment.

For some reason this picture looks out of square but the install is die straight and tight fitting.
I added the blue sheathing foam until there was just enough room for the 1 1/2" of attached
fiberglass insulation on the zip wall.

Just itching to get back to the project :NC
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 pm

As long as you're not itching because it's fiberglass .... :D
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:42 am

Yes it was a bad ploy on the fiberglass.

Hot sweaty and sticky it was great to get a coating of this rather aggressive fiberglass dust.

Handling it was kinda like petting a cactus.

ON A MUCH LIGHTER NOTE>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At 4 pm yesterday I paid off my last credit card IN FULL. :wine party:

I now have absolutely no interest bearing debt.

I still owe a bit on my finger amputation but there is no interest accrued and they have been very patient with me.

I looked back last night to 2+ years ago , I was in debt 24k on credit cards and I wonder how in the hell I pulled out. Then I got to thinking The house was 1100.00 a month with utilities and all. You take 27 months times $1100.00 and you have a chunk of change. Living tiny house frugal and essentially off grid ( no water sewage or electric bill) I was able to dump on this outstanding debt big time. I really didn't want bankruptcy but it had crossed my mind several times. I am so glad to have persevered and be debt free (almost)
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:08 am

Way to go Bob. :applause:
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Nansplace » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 am

Good for you :applause: you've done very well for yourself. Now you can breathe a sigh of relief and let all that extra money pile up in the bank. I'm proud if you!
Nansplace
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels