Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby rainjer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Kevin, Let me know if you need any help.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Micro469 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Anybody know the age of this one?
clicky
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 am

Micro469 wrote:Anybody know the age of this one?
clicky

It is not a Coleman. It is an AMG Lantern. Not sure of the age but is mid 30's or newer.

http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.ed ... iddle.html

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Mark72 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:12 pm

I finally took some pics of my ratty old collection.Most of these I have had just laying around or have been saved from the clutches of the landfill until this thread came along. Now I am motivated to get them all up in useable condition. Heck this has even sparked my interest in obtaining more!
This is a 1956 228f
a 1958 220 with a nickel plated font
a 1930's AGM military lantern
a 1983 220
a pair of 220's one is a 1965 the other is a 1970
a 425f from my childhood i've ate many meals from this stove
a 413g
a426d
this is an old cast iron propane stove
and another, this one was damaged in storage.the valves broken off right behind the orfice. I am considering morphing this stove with the 413 above as it has a rust hole in the case anyway.
this is a 1930's prentice waybers auto cook kit I couldn't resist on ebay shortly after I discovered this thread. Doug sat up and watched and counted down the sale with me on this one. Thanks Doug! Its hard to tell but all the stoves are running in the pics except the broken propane stove. Image
Just arrived today a vintage backpack lantern.Another ebay purchase. I liked the small size to pack in the tear However I have discovered that Bernz-o-matic dosn't make the butane cans for this anymore but they do make a propane can to fit it. I may have to adjust the mantle size to get a bright burn out of it. I also forgot to get a pic of my 1950's turner single burner camp stove It is one of the recalled ones that was only produced for one year with a 3/4" tank bib then recalled because the tank standard was set at a 7/8" size.I will try to get a pic later.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby John Boeckstiegel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Nice collection Mark. Now we all need a couple of these to light them. Found it in my stuff.

John Boeckstiegel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:13 pm

John Boeckstiegel wrote:Nice collection Mark. Now we all need a couple of these to light them. Found it in my stuff.

I found one like that in a kitchen drawer last week but it doesn't spark. It looks identical except the top line says "SHOOT-A-LITE" Safety Gas Liter. I thought it was for a propane torch.
Have no idea if it can be reloaded to spark again. The long nose gas lighters work so well anyway.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John Boeckstiegel » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:19 pm

If you can read the picture it tells you how to reload flint. Its says to move the top lever. Hope that helps....
John Boeckstiegel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for all the pics Mark! Looks like you could be busy cleaning etc...Have fun with them...did you try to fire up the auto cook? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks, too much trouble to find the flints, put it back in the drawer to be discovered by our heirs. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby fastED » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:50 pm

This is all your fault- At least that's the way I tried to escape girlfriend's wrath. I caught this thread, and decided to dig out my old Coleman double burner stove. There's nothing "magic" about it, a garden-variety Coleman stove, just like a million others out there. I cleaned it up, and got it working. It just needed a new fill cap gasket. I had forgotten how well the stoves work. near perfect flame on both burners. It was a lot of fun, so I went looking for a Coleman 200a like I used to have almost fifty years ago. No doubt all of you check ebay from time to time. There are routinely 60 to 80 Coleman lanterns up for bid. That's about 10 a day, every day. Some go high for no reason, others sell at a pretty low price. I had to let several go by, but I just got a 1968 200a in excellent/very good condition for $32.00 including shipping. Sweet. But at the same time I was bidding on a 1930's Coleman 243a, and I was bidding low to keep the price down as much as I could. I "knew" it would go for over a hundred bucks, and I couldn't go that high, right here at Christmas. So I bid 66.00, the bidding stalled for no reason at 47.00, and I won it. It will be here by Friday. Girlfriend it a little "pissey" about it. She just convinced me to get rid of most of my old backpacking gear last summer. Now I am buying more. She just rolls her eyes, and threatens to cut off my food. I'm thinking to myself- "You just try it baby. I've got a Coleman stove. I can cook my own food, see?" ('Course, I'd never say that to her face!) :MLAS
fastED
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Your not alone fastEd. I get those :roll: too. :lol: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Micro469 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:05 pm

fastED wrote:This is all your fault- At least that's the way I tried to escape girlfriend's wrath. I caught this thread, and decided to dig out my old Coleman double burner stove. There's nothing "magic" about it, a garden-variety Coleman stove, just like a million others out there. I cleaned it up, and got it working. It just needed a new fill cap gasket. I had forgotten how well the stoves work. near perfect flame on both burners. It was a lot of fun, so I went looking for a Coleman 200a like I used to have almost fifty years ago. No doubt all of you check ebay from time to time. There are routinely 60 to 80 Coleman lanterns up for bid. That's about 10 a day, every day. Some go high for no reason, others sell at a pretty low price. I had to let several go by, but I just got a 1968 200a in excellent/very good condition for $32.00 including shipping. Sweet. But at the same time I was bidding on a 1930's Coleman 243a, and I was bidding low to keep the price down as much as I could. I "knew" it would go for over a hundred bucks, and I couldn't go that high, right here at Christmas. So I bid 66.00, the bidding stalled for no reason at 47.00, and I won it. It will be here by Friday. Girlfriend it a little "pissey" about it. She just convinced me to get rid of most of my old backpacking gear last summer. Now I am buying more. She just rolls her eyes, and threatens to cut off my food. I'm thinking to myself- "You just try it baby. I've got a Coleman stove. I can cook my own food, see?" ('Course, I'd never say that to her face!) :MLAS

One thing I found about automatic bidding, is that when someone bids, your auto bids jumps in right away to outbid them. I find that it somehow keeps driving the price up....the other guy is saying"wow, he really wants it, but so do I. He only went up a couple of bucks, I can beat that", and he bids again. If you have two autobidders in there, your high bid can be met in minutes, and sometimes days or hours bfore the close of the auction. Sometimes it's better to sit back and watch,and if you really want the item, throw in your auto bid during the last hour...... hope that makes sense .

:roll: ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mark72 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:41 pm

doug hodder wrote:Thanks for all the pics Mark! Looks like you could be busy cleaning etc...Have fun with them...did you try to fire up the auto cook? Doug

Thanks John, I just hope I can get mine back in as good condition as you have kept yours. A lot of mine are items I have picked up someone was going to throw out

Doug, The auto cook is burning in that pic as are all the coleman stoves. The flash of the camera is covering it up it. If you look closely you can see the blue ring around the diffuser. The burn was kind of eratic But I am sure that will improve with a good cleaning!

I received The ash flash I was hoping the pump would fit my Agm. :thumbdown:

Good news is it burns well even with the missing mantel mount plugged off! I believe it is very old as it says Hong Kong British Empire on the collar.
This is the Turner single burner I forgot to get a pic of last night.
In the travel position it breaks down to be very compact. It takes the fuel bottle with a 3/4 thread that you cannot buy anymore But I am lucky that I got the empty one with it judging by the wear and tear on the bottle someone had been refilling it. Now I have to figure out how to do that as I plan on useing it.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:01 am

Does anyone know why the Coleman 202 Professional single mantel lantern is named that instead of just a number? The vent is different but kinda looks like a Coleman 242 . It just looks like a lantern for anyone, so what's professional about it? Also noticed the pump is not always on the right. :) Danny
ImageImageImage
It even looks a lot like this 200 that's in red.
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:39 am

Danny, the 202 was made form 1954 thru 1964. It was made with a nickel plated brass fount, a stainless steel frame a brass burner assembly. The 200A made in the same time frame had a steel fount and frame. The parts of a 202 are 100% interchangeable with a 200A.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment