Vintage Coleman and other stuff....

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

yo Doug!!

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 am

Yo Doug,
All this time that I've been seeing your picture, My feeeble! :o eyes Just noticed that fine Boat in the background<yes the 70's were hard on me lol>, as I love old boats ,was a Navy man, and worked as engineer for 30 yrs in the Gulf oilfield on a 120' steelhull stand-by boat-I'm interested in more info...yr.,motor,model,etc... :thumbsup: As a kid we use to fish in an old ChristCraft wooden boat with a Divider that we had to climb over to get in back. BG FISH TOO!!!
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:20 am

John....sorry, it's not an authentic vintage boat. It's the Glen-L Malahini, plans were originally drawn up in the 50's for home builders. I built it in 03, 16' 60HP Merc 4 stroke outboard. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, really tried to get the vintage look just right. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

yo Doug!!

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:44 pm

yo Doug,
MAN-thats the same style of our old CC. Just simply BEAUTIFUL. You did nail the vintage look. :thumbsup: I have plans for an 8 ft sailing pram but never tried to build one. With all the canoe/boat builders on this forum maybe we should get a homemade boat section!! :thinking: . I vote for your boat as January Calendar Girl (my birthday month) LOL. Got to have me one of those :thumbsup: :cry: Two Kool! 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:39 am

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:35 pm

That's a nice one Bob....it'll be interesting to see how it goes. With all the other "extras" it should draw some attention. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 pm

The guy who sold me this lantern suggested I do the following.
The 202 would use a standard #21 Coleman mantle. If I were you, when you get the lantern, I would obtain a standard brass 200A burner cap and swap out the ceramic burner cap. Those are like gold and sturdy as they may look, you don't want to break one. I'm glad you are going to use it. That helps make my day.

Do I really need to swap out that ceramic burner cap? Im going to use it, not collect it.
If it was manufactured that way what's wrong with using it the way it came? Who knows it might break removing it.
Is this something off the shelf or do I have to order one from some collector? :) Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:The guy who sold me this lantern suggested I do the following.
The 202 would use a standard #21 Coleman mantle. If I were you, when you get the lantern, I would obtain a standard brass 200A burner cap and swap out the ceramic burner cap. Those are like gold and sturdy as they may look, you don't want to break one. I'm glad you are going to use it. That helps make my day.

Do I really need to swap out that ceramic burner cap? Im going to use it, not collect it.
If it was manufactured that way what's wrong with using it the way it came? Who knows it might break removing it.
Is this something off the shelf or do I have to order one from some collector? :) Danny

I have a metal one you can have. I have a 200A I bought as a parts lantern. It is easier to remove the burner with the tube above it than remove the burner itself. I can throw it in the trailer for the next time I see you at a gathering.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Here is one on eBay if you need it sooner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLEMAN-LANTERN-200 ... 0115235104

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Thanks Jeremy, It makes sense to replace the whole tube since it just screws in & out. I'll watch the item to see if I can get it for very little. If not, I'll take you up on your kind offer. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Thanks Jeremy, It makes sense to replace the whole tube since it just screws in & out. I'll watch the item to see if I can get it for very little. If not, I'll take you up on your kind offer. :D Danny

No problem. It is just sitting here collecting dust. I did not replace my ceramic burner but I do not plan on using it much. My understanding is that the ceramic burner may crack if you use it a lot. That is why they switched to the newer metal ones.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 pm

rainjer wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Thanks Jeremy, It makes sense to replace the whole tube since it just screws in & out. I'll watch the item to see if I can get it for very little. If not, I'll take you up on your kind offer. :D Danny

No problem. It is just sitting here collecting dust. I did not replace my ceramic burner but I do not plan on using it much. My understanding is that the ceramic burner may crack if you use it a lot. That is why they switched to the newer metal ones.

Jeremy

Jeremy, thanks that answers one of my original questions. Now I know. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:14 pm

fastED wrote: at the same time I was bidding on a 1930's Coleman 243a, and I won it. It will be here by Friday. :MLAS

Hey fastED....got pics yet? I promise, we won't tell her! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:31 pm

I found this included with a 242 Coleman on EBay today. I think it's the perfect shape to store and transport a lantern. This would be pretty easy (relatively speaking ) to make as a segmented wood box on the wood lathe. I just might have a go at it when I get the time. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:29 pm

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rainjer » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Go for it Jim. You can use them to light your house when the power is out.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment