What's It Worth. Real Values vs Auction Values

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

What's It Worth. Real Values vs Auction Values

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:30 pm

I think this forum is partially contributing to the rise in bids for vintage camping gear, IE Coleman Lanterns. It was noticed back when some wanted a cast iron waffle iron. Maybe we ought to figure reasonable prices to expect and anything over that is emotional. I gotta have it, gotta have it :twisted: .I noticed most Coleman lanterns in good condition are selling for about $40-$50 plus shipping. I also noticed EBay has a section for sellers to figure what their items will sell for. Maybe we should use this service before bidding. Just a thought :thinking: Any other thoughts? :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rainjer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:23 pm

I don't really agree with you. The is a large world wide group of people that collect Coleman. The prices on eBay really depend on the condition & rarity of the item being sold. I have been shopping eBay for the last 2 year for Coleman gear an I can tell you the price are about the same as the were when I started. I just watched 2 1968 Sear Ted Williams lanterns sell for $269 & $235. That is actually cheap for that model. I have see them go for more that $500. The was an auction for a Coleman Gold bond stove and lantern, new in box, that sold for $1200. If it is in really good condition or rare, expect to pay a lot for it. Also, 9 times out of 10 you will be bidding against people in Japan.

There are still a lot of bargain on eBay if you are willing to put a little time into them. My Sear was $10 plus shipping. I find you can find better deals on vintage Coleman gear on Craig's list, 2nd hand store, swap meets & garage sales if you look. I have 3 Colman coolers. I paid less than $7 for each of them. On eBay the sell for $35 or more plus shipping. I have 5 Coleman water jugs, I paid $10 plus shipping for the 2 I bought on eBay & $3 each for the other 2 at 2nd hand stores. One other advantage of buying local is you can look at them and make sure everything works. When I find a lantern I open up the tank and check it, pump it up and crack the valve to see if I can hear the gas flow. If you do this, always relieve the pressure when you finish.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:25 pm

I don't know Danny....since there are between 600-700 Coleman related items in the lantern section on any given day, might be hard to think our group is driving pricing up. I don't look for the really premium ones, with the original boxes and literature. I prefer one that needs some work before it's operable. Cuts out a lot of the competition. I just look for a nice ventilator and undented fount if it's a nickel one. If it's a painted fount, I can always bondo the dents. I have 1 that I paid 30$ for...the rest were under 20. With the waffle irons....there weren't more than about 10 at any given time. Just my thoughts on it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Boodro » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Its called supply & demand. Free enterprise , paying for what you want. Its not like the manufactures that dictate minimum selling price for a product to anyone that sells them on the open market! It s something that will never change. Just my 2 sense!
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:37 pm

We all have our own opinion & I respect different views. I agree it's free enterprise and supply & demand. I've watched items go up in price & I just walk away from them since I'm not willing to pay a high price just to win that item.
I just watched 2 1968 Sear Ted Williams lanterns sell for $269 & $235. That is actually cheap for that model. I have see them go for more that $500. The was an auction for a Coleman Gold bond stove and lantern, new in box, that sold for $1200. If it is in really good condition or rare, expect to pay a lot for it. Also, 9 times out of 10 you will be bidding against people in Japan.

I'm in no way a "collector"and would never buy something that I couldn't use every day if I wished to. I was talking of items in the $50 range that most campers could feel comfortable in purchasing. I just hope we arn't bidding against each other for camping items. I wasn't aware EBay listed what country an item was sold to. :) Danny
Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby doug hodder » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 pm

I've walked away from a bunch also Danny....thing is with the Coleman stuff, there's always another one out there, same model, similar condition. Granted, the really rare stuff doesn't come up that often, and when it does, it's a feeding frenzie! I don't want something that is going to sit on a shelf or in a box either. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby glider » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:51 am

Hi Danny,
:shake hands:

I see Ebay as just another market place because of the shipping costs from that side of the Atlantic. Gotta be a real steal.

It is a lot harder to find any vintage Coleman items over here and those that make it as far as Ebay are usualy in the hands of a dealer and are selling at a premium price. I try to put as much time as I can into tramping round garage sales, swapmeets, and any other place that I can think of in order to find an undiscoverd gem. Always at a much better price.

Happy hunting, Mark. :thumbsup:
My friends think I am mad but my psychiatrists thinks I am a real interesting case
glider
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment