paint question from a newbie

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

paint question from a newbie

Postby xray61 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:36 pm

This might have been covered before but after using the Search function and looking at 24 pages I did not find the answer. I have just completed the disasembly of a vintage 71 coleman lantern thanks to the very helpful directions from old town. I need to repaint the top and the bottom of this lanter. So do I need a high temperature paint for the top and botom or just the top ? Or is it not needed ? This is the first project of this kind that I am under taking so any help for coleman green paint would greatly help me out . It seems this vintage camping equipment thing is addicting.
xray61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rainjer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:46 pm

The top can not be re-painted. It is porcelain. The tank will be either Krylon Hunter Green.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby xray61 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks
Is there any way to spot paint the top ?
xray61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:29 pm

I've been looking, but haven't found any colored hi-temp paints that would work, other than black and silver. The ventilators run about 500F on the single mantled lanterns, slightly less on the 2 mantled ones. I've also found that a #91 mantle which is slightly larger runs hotter. I wondered about powdercoating, but I've been told that it is only good to something like 350 from a local coater. Something you might think of doing is to watch e-bay and pick up a ventilator. It seems that some people are parting out lanterns in the hopes that the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole critter.

This might be an idea to try and comes in a gloss, it's right at the top end of the temp range....Doug

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Micro469 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:57 pm

doug hodder wrote:I've been looking, but haven't found any colored hi-temp paints that would work, other than black and silver. The ventilators run about 500F on the single mantled lanterns, slightly less on the 2 mantled ones. I've also found that a #91 mantle which is slightly larger runs hotter. I wondered about powdercoating, but I've been told that it is only good to something like 350 from a local coater. Something you might think of doing is to watch e-bay and pick up a ventilator. It seems that some people are parting out lanterns in the hopes that the sum of the parts are worth more than the whole critter.

This might be an idea to try and comes in a gloss, it's right at the top end of the temp range....Doug

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

Something else you can try....

http://www.canada-por15.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EE&Category_Code=HiTemp

This is high temp engine paint in a variety of colors. Not cheap, but might do the job.

:thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby xray61 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:54 am

Thank you for all of the advice. I'll post a picture of the finished Lantern.
xray61
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark72 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:53 am

There is a local ceramic coating shop here that is looking through the High temp (1000 deg) powder coatings for a color to match. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment