We're not dead here!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

We're not dead here!

Postby doug hodder » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm

It may seem slow over here in this area...but we haven't expired. I do happen to know that several of us are awaiting items, me included. This is the perfect time of year to go through your attic, garage, shed etc....and dig out all the camping stuff and get it ready for the coming season, especially if it's a vintage piece of whatever. I'm waiting on a 1953 Coleman Speedmaster single burner for my waffle iron....how about the rest of you? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:46 pm

I was watching this ebay deal...but it is quickly rising out of my price range....Sears Stove and Lanterns

I did pull out some old hand lines for Mike's fishing thread...just need to snap some pics....
:thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:53 pm

maybe not exactly what this thread is all about:

http://dougsvintagetrailers.com/home

but it's what i got
jay
Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:13 am

I was snooping over at the folks place the otherday and spotted a coleman stove, I didnt take it off the shelf but saw it set up and running about 15 years ago. It had a round tank, dad said it was a coleman. Its not trashed but someone somewhere down the line painted it a nasty shade of green. Im going to snag it next spring when its actually warm enough to work out in the shop. Neighbors were over tonite, hes got a cool old lantern. Made by somebody for the holiday gas station/sporting goods stores here regionally.
I should try to buy it off of him, be a real oddball for the teardrop. Havent found the single mantle lantern at the folks yet either but I know its there someplace! Happy new years !! Paul
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:53 am

Happy New Years to you too Paul....look at it this way...that yucky green paint was a perfect preservative for the stove! It can always be stripped and a regional lantern like you described would be a nice addition to any tear. Nice finds. Make sure you put up some pics of you get them! Inquiring minds want to know....

Cool site Jay....thanks for posting that. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:39 am

Not every one is sitting on their thumbs, the swap meet was open

Image Dietz Blue No 100
Saw one of these in worse condition but it just needs a good cleaning and paint

Settled on this one, Dietz Comet $7
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:52 am

Weve still got the stove that travelled with my folks and us kids camping while I was growing up. If camping equipment could talk that thing could tell stories. Its been all over the U.S. and Canada, packed on horseback several times up into the montana/colorado elk hunting back country, countless fishing trips, man... Still works but its a little beat up. I'll never restore that one. I've got a new 853 and a dual fuel lantern that the wife and I bought 18 years ago, they work awesome but they dont have any nostalgic feel to it. Probably wont for me but might for my daughter. After reading this forum Im going to try and use only "vintage" stuff in my teardrop.
That holiday lantern was a real oddball, the globe is in the middle and the tank was a U shape. I think it was an off shade of red or maroon..
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby hotrod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:45 am

Curiosity was killing me, had to go looking for that holiday lantern. I believe it was made by the AGM company and its a top tank with the globe hanging underneath. It would still be a cool one to snag. Been a couple years since Ive seen it.. My stove here is an old faithful 425 not an 853.. I went looking for that old stove at the folks I think its mid 1940s 411 or 417?
My coleman lantern stays in the house with us, seems like we lose electricity a couple times every year, just easier to have it fueled up and ready to rock when its needed. Often times were the only people on the street with lights on! lolol
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Rock » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Working on cleaning up that Alpha alcohol stove that I posted in the other thread. Got it all apart - the needle valve screw was broken off flush with the valve body. It actually came out real easy with an easy-out and a little heat. For now I've silver soldered a piece of 1/8" brass rod to make it work. "Needing" to re-manufacture this whole piece gives me an excuse to buy a little metal lathe at HF next time they throw me a 20% coupon.

Scored a 426D on Ebay. Real clean - used only a few times maybe. I'll throw a picture up to see if someone can help me date it. The owners manual has a 1960 publishing date, but they could have used the same manual for 15 years I guess. I bought it to use in the tear but it might just be too big and I can always use the 425 even though it's "new."

Also bought a largish aluminum coffee percolator yesterday for $6. The glass piece on the top is really cool and caught my eye. Needs scrubbed and polished a little, and the wooden handle is actually turned to charcoal at the bottom, so I'm going to turn some replacement pieces out of something really hard, like rosewood, just for fun. Pics to follow.
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby rainjer » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Your 426D was made in 1965.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

vintage

Postby doitright » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:05 pm

After reading this forum Im going to try and use only "vintage" stuff in my teardrop.
That holiday lantern was a real oddball, the globe is in the middle and the tank was a U shape. I think it was an off shade of red or maroon..

Hotrod
be carfull. I have a 69 rear door Scotty and my wife and I also decided to do that. The problem is we ended up with more stuff then we can take in our 26' newer camper. I have a section in the garage with shelves 20' long and 8' tall with shelves. It is full and over flowing. We have very little money involved all yard sale buyes. On my first buy the man said if it did not sell he was going to junk it. I look at it this way saving landfill space and keeping the past. Just be carfull it is like cast iron you can always find something you do not have,and need it. My grandson said I need to go back to school and study needs and wants again. Now all I need is to get up the nerve to repair my travel chef stove.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:05 pm

dmb90260 wrote:Not every one is sitting on their thumbs, the swap meet was open

Image Dietz Blue No 100
Saw one of these in worse condition but it just needs a good cleaning and paint

Settled on this one, Dietz Comet $7

I keep one of those in the house for our frequent power outages around here. It hangs in the basement stairwell where I can find it easily in the dark.
Our power pretty much only goes out after dark. 8) :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Can't remember if I posted this yet, but a neighbour down the street threw this out last spring. All I had to do was fix the hinges. It has a few rust spots, but I'm not going to touch it.... no way I can match the paint job.....

:)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby hotrod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Yup doitright, Thats what Im afraid of. lololol Stuff has a way of gravitating towards my shop. I know for fact that if you leave a couple vintage snowmobiles in the shed over the summer they can multiply into several dusty hulks in no time flat. Ive got a grip on that now. Nothing gets in my shop unless its street rod, teardrop camper or my personal fishing crap. Karrie even knows better than to put stuff out there, It gets pitched, jeez that makes her mad. Hasnt done it lately.
I think I can make room for some cool coleman stuff tho.. alot of this stuff has its roots in my grandparents household and it would tear me up to have to part with it.
Thats a beauty cooler micro 469!! lolol
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby doug hodder » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Nice cooler John....interior seems to be in good shape. I wish I would have saved our set that looked like that. Mom was in a panic to get rid of it and I already moved back to Colo. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment