Superbowl 1/2 time light up!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Superbowl 1/2 time light up!

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:30 am

It was previously mentioned that people with a coleman lantern/stove or other gas pressure appliance light them up, take a pic and post it during the Superbowl half time, ideally the pic would be taken that day, just sort of a solidarity thing/ hands, or in this case lantern/stove around the world event. A major + if your trailer is in the pic!!!!

If you don't have a gas lantern or stove...we don't care....use a flashlight, candle or otherwise or god forbid...a battery lantern...just kidding folks! That date is 2/1/2009. We aren't sure on the exact time, but thought it would be a fun thing to do. Kinda lets everyone know that we are all campers with a common interest, whether it be teardrops or whatever. A thread will be available at that time for posting, no early posters....time to follow when it becomes available....if some one knows exact half time now...let me know....I'm clueless! Funny, rude or wacky pics would be greatly appreciated...family shots are especially appreciated. No cut off time, so if you are out at a party somewhere else....take your pic and put it up anyway when you get home.

Hope to see you all basking in the illumination of a camping light! You have a couple of weeks to get them going...that means you Heikki....fire that sucker up! Doug/ Jeremy/ Mark72 etal....
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:09 am

I plan on lighting up everything I have and contribute to global warming....

A word of safety to everyone that is going to do this, let make sure we all do it safely. If you are just getting into these older gas lanterns, make sure you check them for leaks before you light them. I have been doing the for a while and did not do that on my 202 when I put a new generator on it. I forgot to tighten the generator nut all the way. I had a large flare up when I went to light it. If you are not sure on how to light them, please ask. There are instructions available for most Coleman models. Also, please make sure you are light them outside. If you do happen to need to do it in your garage, make sure you have a fire extinguisher next to you and the door open.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:23 am

I better go get some fuel Jeremy...I've got a number of things I can "light off". Hoping the rest of you out there can participate in this event as well. Look forward to your pics.

Excellent point on the safety issue Jeremy....If you haven't cleaned it, or are unfamiliar with the use of a lantern or gas pressure stove, don't be a statistic. Use your head!

If you can't make it run, are unfamiliar with it or have picked up an old one that hasn't been gone through and you are unsure of it or it's a leaker, let safety guide you. A pic of it will do fine....Not all the older stuff was ignited in the same manner, I had to get instructions on how to fire up the Handy Chef.

While we are no experts on this sort of thing, there are a number of resources that can help you out with the correct operation of your appliance and parts. Just think! No accidents!! OK? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:10 am

I'll be there! Guess I need to get a few mantels. After 7k rough miles this summer I had a couple of blow outs!! :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Mark72 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:52 am

I'm Game! Maybe I can get a few of my special projects done in time!

Mark
ImageImage
Mark72
Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 am

rainjer wrote:I plan on lighting up everything I have and contribute to global warming....

Giant carbon footprints for all!

Sweet. :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Hey Rich....get that 426 running also! As for the carbon footprint...I'm covered. I plan on reseeding the back lawn this spring.... there's my offset! :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm in...but me and Finn are concerned that the light will polute the beautiful darkness that surrounds us in January!!! Wonder if I can get the 242 going? (or bettter yet...can I get it to shut down once started...valve leaks).
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Juneaudave wrote:I'm in...but me and Finn are concerned that the light will polute the beautiful darkness that surrounds us in January!!! Wonder if I can get the 242 going? (or bettter yet...can I get it to shut down once started...valve leaks).
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

If you are getting gas flow after you turn the valve off you need to pull the valve stem out and flush it out. It is most likely just a piece of crud in there preventing the valve to seat. If that does not work you will need to pull the entire valve out of the tank and clean the fuel/air tube. There are only 2 moving parts in the valve assembly.

If you need help, let me know.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:17 pm

I'll be there, but I've run out of matches to light mine.
This guy has offered to help me. :lol: Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby caseydog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Sparksalot wrote:
rainjer wrote:I plan on lighting up everything I have and contribute to global warming....

So, I guess my Coleman Compact Flourescent lantern is not going to cut it? :thinking:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:26 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I'll be there, but I've run out of matches to light mine.
This guy has offered to help me. :lol: Danny

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like it.....

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby rainjer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:27 pm

caseydog wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:

So, I guess my Coleman Compact Flourescent lantern is not going to cut it? :thinking:

CD

You can be our "green" member of the light-up.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:38 pm

CD....sure you can post! No one is left out, it's a lantern, gives you light when camping. Kerosene wicks welcome also as well as "propane and propane accessories" Thanks Hank Hill.... It's all good! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby caseydog » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:17 pm

rainjer wrote:
caseydog wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:

CD

You can be our "green" member of the light-up.

Jeremy

Cool. Sounds like a great party. I'll have to cook up some tofu treats and chill some chardonay.

CD :D

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment