Here's 1 serious vintage tow vehicle, home restored!!!

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Here's 1 serious vintage tow vehicle, home restored!!!

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Mike A has been working on this truck for quite some time now. It's a 40 Ford flatbed, originally was to be hot rodded but he decided to do it up original, frame off resto. It's perfect to tow his 46 tear behind. It's sitting on jack stands in this pic so he can finish up some brake work on it (Mikes not that short!) needs to be wired and the bed done....He's built flatheads for a living, and knows engines and vintage Fords inside out. In my opinion....nothing beats the look of a 40 Ford! It's just beautiful Mike, congratulations to you and Nancy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Arne » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:21 pm

what it needs is a chevy small block..... flat heads were ok... in the 40's.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:25 pm

I'll have to agree with you Doug, the 40 Ford is a car design that has great appeal. I use to run around with a friend in the sixties who drove us around in his dad's (original owner) 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe with tuck n' roll interior. The sound of a flathead in a short car with slicks in the rear was pure excitement. Your friends truck and tear combination will certanly be a show stopper. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby hotrod » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:22 pm

Nice ride mike!
Keep the flattie too...A guy in town here has been trying to get rid of a 53 ford 1/2 ton. Its in pretty nice shape, no rust in the cab think its a 215 6. Can drive it home but is missing the box which is no big deal, lots of boxes around..My trouble is that I need something that sits three of us so I havent been able to commit to the project..Been tugging with the T bucket which goes pretty good but only sits 2..
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:08 pm

What a beautiful ride...if a fella could only get some $$$$ :cry:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Arne wrote:what it needs is a chevy small block..... flat heads were ok... in the 40's.

That's what it had when he got it...Mustang II front end on it also...he traded that frame away for an original unmolested one. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Mike Ahern » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Thank Doug: I new you took the pictures but I didn't know you were going to post them, thanks again.

Hotrod: If you know about a 53 1/2 ton but you're worried about not having room for three, I got my 40 truck 27 years ago when I was raising 4 kids and I'm just finishing it, If the price is right now and you take as long as I did it will have plenty of room for two.
Mike Ahern
Donating Member

Postby hotrod » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:59 pm

heheheh I guess I never thought of it that way. Lets see, allison is going to be 8 in may so Ive got 10 years to do this. Someplace in this 10 to 13 year span Ive gotta restore a 1964 impala sitting in my folks storage shed. If I did take on the 53 it would be a drive as you go type job, its a driver now but would like to pull the stick and rearend for more modern streetable stuff so the wife can drive it . Wipers, roof and heat would be awesome!!!
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby Kevin A » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Mike, that looks AWESOME... :thumbsup:
You gonna have it up at Shasta? Can't wait to see it.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Steve E » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Mike and Nancy....
What a beauty!!!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing it soon........
What a cruiser......Main Street here ya come!!!!!!!!! 8)
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:04 am

Hey Mike....next parade or car show in P-ville...you and Nancy in the 40 and your tear...me in the Rambler and mine, sorry, I won't take Buddy.....I will if you will! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Nice

Postby HossHoffer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 pm

doug hodder wrote:
Arne wrote:what it needs is a chevy small block..... flat heads were ok... in the 40's.

That's what it had when he got it...Mustang II front end on it also...he traded that frame away for an original unmolested one. Doug

Kudos on the resto. Putting a small block chevy in that masterpiece would be like wearing brown shoes with a black tuxedo.
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby Lazybones » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Anyone can have a chevy engine. Why follow the flock of sheep. :thumbdown:

There is nothing like the sound of a flathead with glass packs. My friend and I didia frame up restoration on a 1950 Ford with an 8ba and it is still going after 28 years.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:42 pm

MikeA,

What a sweet ride, and only took 27 years to get it "just right". :thumbsup:. Been in the planning stage for a classic truck restoration for about 30 years myself. Good job.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Eunice » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 pm

Mike and Nancy. What a neat truck. Kenny will love it when he sees the pics! Hope you have it at the Dam gathering. Will you be going to Austin Nevada in April? Rosey and I are going. Kenny and Rocky have to stay home.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment