Do you have to burn the lantern mantels?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:27 pm

rainjer wrote:
Mike M. wrote:F.Y.I. mantels are radioactive. Make sure you remove the old ones with gloves like latex. I use to work at a place called Fernald and I had to go through machines that detect radioactive material on me.. The machines were set apart about 2 feet apart and they were about 4 feet wide. The day I had to go to work, I replaced my mantels, went through the machine and set the machine two down from me off. Took me a few secs. but I realized what I had done. I had the remains of the mantels on my pants.. I had to go through an hour of decontamination... :embarassed: :Oh Brother:

Modern Coleman lanters are not radioactive.

Here is a little mantle history:

Older Silk Lites contain thorium. (thorium is radioactive)

Gold Tops replaced the Silk Lites when thorium use ended.

Gold Top mantles went away, maybe as only a marketing move to get back to a green color, and the current mantles use the exact same formula as the Gold Tops.

Some brands of mantles other than Coleman still contain thorium as indicated by the ingredients listed on the package.

Jeremy

Ok that had my wife and I worried also. But now that clears things up.
I love this learning ..and believe me Im taking it all in.

Thanks.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rainjer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:39 pm

I have a couple comments on the video.

1) You don nit need to keep the match or torch on the mantle while you burne them in. Light the bottom & let them burn. If they go out, re-light them.
2) You do not need to put the glass and top back on to light the lantern. I think it is better to leave them off if it is the first time you have lit the lantern or if you have put on new mantles. They tend to flare up more the first time & it is easier to get the match in the right spot to light it.
3) Only spin the knob like he showed on modern lantern. Older lanterns there will be a tip cleaner seperate from the fuel knob.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:40 pm

Classic Finn wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Even banging around in the tear I can get a couple of seasons out of a set of mantles, it actually takes quite a jolt to damage one. Just my experience. Doug

How does the Coleman Lantern burn in cold temps? Since Id love to use this lantern of ours in winter as well.

Same as it burns any other time of the year...bright!!! :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:42 pm

rainjer wrote:I have a couple comments on the video.

1) You don nit need to keep the match or torch on the mantle while you burne them in. Light the bottom & let them burn. If they go out, re-light them.
2) You do not need to put the glass and top back on to light the lantern. I think it is better to leave them off if it is the first time you have lit the lantern or if you have put on new mantles. They tend to flare up more the first time & it is easier to get the match in the right spot to light it.
3) Only spin the knob like he showed on modern lantern. Older lanterns there will be a tip cleaner seperate from the fuel knob.

Jeremy

I was thinkin' that was a little overkill myself. I've only ever lit the bottom and let them burn and smolder up. Occasionally one will go out but not often.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Rock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 am

Don't recall how old I was when I poked at one and it crumbled. Maybe 7 or 8.

I do seem to recall that I got no dessert that night.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:
doug hodder wrote:Even banging around in the tear I can get a couple of seasons out of a set of mantles, it actually takes quite a jolt to damage one. Just my experience. Doug

How does the Coleman Lantern burn in cold temps? Since Id love to use this lantern of ours in winter as well.

Just thought maybe there is a difference in temps for it. Any special requirements.

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Classic Finn wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:

Just thought maybe there is a difference in temps for it. Any special requirements.

Classic Finn ;)

Nope, they really don't care what the weather is like, they just seem to work. :thumbsup: :D
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:
Nitetimes wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:

Classic Finn ;)

Nope, they really don't care what the weather is like, they just seem to work. :thumbsup: :D

Okidoki that be good enough for me. :lol:

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment