Count Me In - I Got A Turd

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Count Me In - I Got A Turd

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Being an ex-uranium geologist....a thorium mantle is nothing, everyone will do whatever they think is necessary to protect them from radiation....but I"m not a big worrier, seems like every time you turn around there is something that is going to kill you, just wait a month...somehow, it'll change.

There are many forum members have no idea of what the background radiation is on the geologic formations that their houses are built on, (more than a mantle). Many of you are too young, to remember radium dialed watches and alarm clocks! Gotta love that good old "glow in the dark", hey...we also used to have seeds that were irradiated and were promised to grow much larger vegetables back in the early 60's. If any of you have concerns on the Peerless mantles...please send them all to me to be disposed of properly. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Well that settles it for me. If my dad, Randy and Doug Hodder aren't worried about the old mantles, that's good enough for me. I'm exposed to so many chemicals and flavor oil aromas in my work that a little radiation can't hurt. :lol: Dad worked at nuke plants for many years as a pipe support engineer. His first scientific calculator was an HP that cost almost $500, same thing today is like 10 bucks.

The reality is that with all of the time I spent working on nuclear subs, including a few sea trials while under reactor power, my dosimeter never registered anything higher than the background noise that we all get from the sun. When we were buying the house and had a home inspection done the sellers were quite surprised to find that their basement had high levels of radon. Knocked $1k off the sales price in order to have a system put in; has only cost the price of running a 60 watt bulb for the 13 years we've been here (cheap insurance). Another thing the home inspector said was to NOT use a charcoal filter in the whole house water filter (we have a drilled well); said it would concentrate any radiation and create a bigger hazard than if we just took the standard background exposure. So I just use the normal cotton wound filters.

Anyway, when I use the older mantles I won't go out of my way to suck in the fumes during initial burn and light off. But then again I wouldn't have been huffing them anyway, so all is good.

Where does the time go? I need to spend some time looking for a replacement globe.

Thank you everyone who has read and/or replied to this thread. I am happy to have your comments and support. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

I just learned a new trick with my third arm, juggling! I always want to juggle and now I can. I even made a little hood so I can huff more thorium. Maybe, just maybe I will make it to America s got talent. I have been buying some (ok alot) mantles on ebay. Any old mantles that are a good price I buy. I just figure I am going to be into this for some time so I follow my father who always said " Go Deep" when it comes to hobbies. I just have to have lots of stuff so when I decide to play, I can. Thorium is just a bonus. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Well I got a thermos double mantel going this morning and realized I am all out of Peerless mantels so used some not so special mantels to get it running. Working ok. Several weeks ago I tore open a pack of 6 mantels. The package didn't really indicate any make just a name that didn't mean anything to me. When I got them out printed on the mantels was Thermos. oh well package is now opened so I tied some up and fire away. Wow. are those suckers ever bright and white. It is amazing.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Funny you should mention that, Randy. When I first lit off the turd I thought, hmm that looks kind of yellow. Whereas I had always remembered them being stark white.

I did only let it burn for a few seconds because I was concerned about the holes in the mantles, but I don't expect that the color would have changed much.

I want that bright white burn! :R :D 8) :?
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Thorium burns whiter. But those Thermos mantels out white all my other mantels, Peerless and old style Coleman. Maybe they got a batch of extra active thorium.

:lol: :lol:

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Update. I got tired of messing around, so for my b-day gift to myself I sprang/sprung/splurged on the stripe frosted replacement globe for the turd. $29 + 5 handling. All is right with the world now. ;) :thumbsup:

Burn on!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Burn on turds

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Techguy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:32 pm

How old is "old" when it comes to mantles?

I have two double mantle Colemans that have the plastic storage cases. I pulled them out of storage this weekend and one of them needed new mantles. The lanterns are 1989 and 1990 model 276's IIRC. The replacement mantles are the ones that "live" in the cavity below the lanterns so are likely to be about the same vintage. I think I even have some "gold" top mantles, whatever the differences are for them.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:13 pm

I doubt if a mantle can get to old. At least and not be in a museum. In a 200 year old time capsule, in an Egyptian tomb. I have used many mantles older than what you have. They where in the paper package inside a carboard box of about 6.

Just the older ones are radioactive and should be fired up outside for the burn in and most people seem to say to run them about 2 hours with fuel for the first time. Don't eat, play with the ashes of a broken on, dispose of it. Not really to high radioactive, not like radium. The element in question is thorium.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Techguy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:31 pm

So your saying if I don't eat mantles or burn lanterns inside my house or a TD, I should be safe. Good enough for me.

I wasn't planning on eating them anyway. 8)

I was more interested in if my 20 year old mantles were considered "old" or not in the overall scheme of lanterns.
Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TRP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:29 pm

LOL - oh my.

For the longest time I kept seeing reference to "Turd" and "My Turd". I've even seen a globe with a piece of pooh etched on it. I had no idea what the reference was to. Now that I see the brown lantern, I got it.

Congratulations on your fine Turd.

Too funny,
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm

The 275 was kind of know as a not so great performer, and then the brown color, bulky and ugly = TURD. I like mine they all work very well.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby campmaster-k » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:31 pm

TRP wrote:LOL - oh my.

For the longest time I kept seeing reference to "Turd" and "My Turd". I've even seen a globe with a piece of pooh etched on it. I had no idea what the reference was to. Now that I see the brown lantern, I got it.

Too funny,
Ted

Now the poo thing on the glass that is new to me. Whhat will they think of next? :frightened:
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby TRP » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:07 pm

campmaster-k wrote:
TRP wrote:LOL - oh my.

Too funny,
Ted

Now the poo thing on the glass that is new to me. Whhat will they think of next? :frightened:

Yeah, you can't make some of this stuff up. The truth is stranger than fiction:

http://www.victorygraphix.com/globe_files/page12-1019-full.html

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment