Vintage Wildcat Trailer

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Vintage Wildcat Trailer

Postby KTLiz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:44 am

Thanks for all the encouraging words! Turns out there is a leak- someone had put a couple of large screws in the roof near where the awning would go for some reason, so we have torn everything down to the studs. We were planning on rewiring electric anyway because it isn't working. It's finally going to get warmer here and hopefully Thursday we can finally get started. My husband can do any of this to our house, so I know we (He!) can handle it. I have ordered a few items from Vintage Trailer Supply over the past couple of months in preparation- new teardrop exterior lights and a ceiling vent with a fan. I have started sewing new covers for the replacement cushions - Amazon has the best deal I could find on high density 3" foam. Will keep you posted...
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTLiz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 am

Charsh,
WOW- that's it! Exactly like our trailer- thanks for sharing the pictures- your trailer looks great! I can't believe you found the manual- I dug around for countless hours...I will check out that site. Hopefully, we can uncover some numbers somewhere. I am not sure what the NY DMV will require if we don't have them. There is no title.
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby logman7777 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Sweetness Squared with taking the less traveled route!

Do it the way you want it and flaunt your rarity! :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby charsh » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm

KTLiz wrote:Thanks for all the encouraging words! Turns out there is a leak- someone had put a couple of large screws in the roof near where the awning would go for some reason, so we have torn everything down to the studs. We were planning on rewiring electric anyway because it isn't working. It's finally going to get warmer here and hopefully Thursday we can finally get started. My husband can do any of this to our house, so I know we (He!) can handle it. I have ordered a few items from Vintage Trailer Supply over the past couple of months in preparation- new teardrop exterior lights and a ceiling vent with a fan. I have started sewing new covers for the replacement cushions - Amazon has the best deal I could find on high density 3" foam. Will keep you posted...

Hi Again,

I am hoping you can answer a question for me. Does your Wildcat have a galvanized metal roof, and is it attached to the front and rear aluminum with screws? I'm trying to figure out if mine has the original roof or a replacement. This is really weird, but mine has some large screws sticking out of the top edge of the roof. There were three, equally spaced. I have the roof detached so the screws are gone now. I am replacing the paneling and the ceiling panels as they had water damage and the insulation was nasty, moldy and smelly. In order to put the panes where they belong, you have to take the roof out. I am doing this on my own, and actually isn't as bad as you would think. With a couple of a tiny crow bar, an assortment of screw drivers, a hammer and a pair of vice grips, I have just about disassembled her. I would love to follow your progress.

Cheri
charsh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTLiz » Mon May 05, 2014 4:23 pm

wildcat_trailer_roof_small.jpg
Inside ceiling of Wildcat trailer - bottom of roof.
wildcat_trailer_roof_small.jpg (51.25 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Hi Cheri,
Sorry for not getting back sooner. The roof on our trailer is a separate sheet which has a different texture than the sides- there are two layers of it and it is screwed down at front and back. It is the same metal as the bottom front and the door (you can see it in the photo- kind of a bumpy metal, but I am not sure what kind of metal it is, a magnet would not stick so I assumed it was aluminum). When we took the ceiling down, I found this written on the inside. It is now an official indicator of the make. I still can't find a VIN! We got it rewired, and my husband is building cabinets around the wheel wells as I type :) and then we can insulate and get started on the walls.
I should tell you that I don't plan on using this for camping. I am turning it into a mobile art gallery to show and sell my art, and possibly do small group lessons, etc. My website is just getting underway: http://www.TheArtRoadshow.com - I am keeping the dinette and table, a small bench seat across the back, and a shelf in the back where the bunk bed was. Everything will be as authentic as I can maintain, and the water tank stays under the bench seat, so if it turns out that down the line someone wants to put all the appliances and bathroom back in, they can. I plan to put in a pressed aluminum ceiling, and a black and white checkered floor. Walls will be white (possibly wainscotting half way down), and fabrics are grays, black and yellow/gold. I will add some photos to the gallery if you are interested.
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby charsh » Sat May 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi again,

I love the fabric and lighting you have pictured in your gallery. I would love to see pictures as you progress. I don't plan to do much camping in my trailer either. It actually serves as a home base for our 4H club during fair week. Mine looks a lot like yours inside and out. Her original gold stripe was covered up and at least part of the siding has been replaced. The PO also added a range with oven that I am taking out. I pulled all the framing off the front and rear to remove all the old vinyl covered ceiling panels and have replaced them with birch plywood. I love your ceiling tiles, but my husband thinks the old fashioned wood paneling is cool. I need to update my gallery. I've just been so busy working on the camper I haven't had the time.

Cheri
charsh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KTLiz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:46 pm

We had to step up the work on the trailer over the last month because I was accepted into a local art show and had to have it ready for July 6th! We literally took it from partial studs to completion in three weeks- we had been holding off the walls due to chasing a leak that my husband finally conquered. Luckily I had everything ready and waiting to go in. Once the walls and ceiling were up, it was pretty smooth. The art show was a hit- it was an extremely windy day but it was very successful and everyone LOVED the trailer- someone even offered to buy it on the spot! Check out more of the finished product in my Gallery and keep me posted on everyone's progress!
KTLiz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby teardrop_focus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 pm

We had to step up the work on the trailer over the last month because I was accepted into a local art show and had to have it ready for July 6th! We literally took it from partial studs to completion in three weeks- we had been holding off the walls due to chasing a leak that my husband finally conquered. Luckily I had everything ready and waiting to go in. Once the walls and ceiling were up, it was pretty smooth.

Boy, you ain't kiddin'! WOW.

Trailer looks great! and I think you did a fantastic job on the interior... looks more like a beach house than a trailer.

Well done!

:-)

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment