Flea market find

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Flea market find

Postby BillZ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm

The wife and I stopped at a flea market on the way the visit friends in Baltimore. I would have missed this little stove but she spotted it under a table.

Kampkook LCS 21, anybody familiar with this brand? It is a heavy solid piece that appears to be well made. The price was right -10 bucks.

It looks to be in pretty good shape. Mainly just needs a good cleaning as far as I can tell. The tank is dry with just a little surface rust inside. I hope to try and fire it up sometime this week.

BillZ
The 300 Club

Re: Flea market find

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:50 pm

Nice looking stove. Should be fun to get going. I have never seen that one before.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:31 pm

I have one, maybe two of those :oops:
They are great burners just a lot more fiddly getting the winds wings set up than a Coleman. I see you have the small generator on yours. Mine has a big ole pipe where it goes over the burner. I do not know if there is a reason for one over the other. When you light it open up the the left blackish valve then a few turns of the red one. Have a match going in the burner. If it has not been used in as long time could take a while to get fuel to the burner. After that cast iron is heated up they burn great and the case contains spills much better than any Coleman. One of my favorite stoves though I have yet to try it out in the weather, maybe this summer. And for $10 you done good in my book.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:I have one, maybe two of those :oops:
They are great burners just a lot more fiddly getting the winds wings set up than a Coleman. I see you have the small generator on yours. Mine has a big ole pipe where it goes over the burner. I do not know if there is a reason for one over the other. When you light it open up the the left blackish valve then a few turns of the red one. Have a match going in the burner. If it has not been used in as long time could take a while to get fuel to the burner. After that cast iron is heated up they burn great and the case contains spills much better than any Coleman. One of my favorite stoves though I have yet to try it out in the weather, maybe this summer. And for $10 you done good in my book.

Randy

Thanks for the info. I did some research and found that it was probably made in the late 50's. That's pretty much what I figured by looking at the design of the labels. Thought about painting it but it could be tough finding a match for that blue-green hammered finish.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:59 am

Rustoleum makes a hammered finish blue green like that. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby BillZ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:10 am

doug hodder wrote:Rustoleum makes a hammered finish blue green like that. Doug

Thanks Doug. I'll check that out.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby Rock » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:28 am

That's exactly what I paid for mine!

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby BillZ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Cool!
That's the first time I have seen another one posted.
Did you have any trouble getting yours running?

I cleaned up mine and painted all but the case because the way it was assembled would make it very difficult to tape off and paint it.

Pic:

I oiled the leather pump cup and was able to pump it up and start it. It sputtered a bit at first but then the first burner hummed along like a mini jet engine. The second burner, however is weak and wanted to go out. The pressure in the tank went out after a couple of minutes but I still need to change the gasket under the fuel cap. Haven't found the time yet to see why the 2nd burner is weak.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Those KampKooks are one of my favorite stoves. I have one that has the huge pipe on the end of the generator. Some say that is for burning car gas. I do not know. Mine will never see car gas unless the zombies are real. Get the tank leak fixed. Open the valve on the left side a bunch. Like about 4 turns or so then the red one and light her up. When it is warm close the side valve. Or I might have the valves mixed up, sometimes it does not seem to matter. Mine will hum along doing a nice simmer for hours.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:00 am

Here is a JPG of the real lighting instructions in case yours is missing. My narative is a bit off.

Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment