A vintage addition for a trailer galley.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

A vintage addition for a trailer galley.

Postby doug hodder » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 pm

I had been looking around for these spice canisters for a while. There are lots of complete sets, but I only wanted a couple, not a whole set and I wanted them in mint condition. I found these 3 on E-bay...$5.25 for mint unused a full set of 8, used, typically runs $50+ or so. This line is called Kromex, there is lot of it around considering that they only made it from 1957 to about 1961. Mfg'd by Alcoa. They quit making it when Reynolds took over Alcoa.

Most of the used stuff can be really well used, dented and cracked tops and the spice canisters come with a rack. Also available is lots of larger canisters, cake storage, bread boxes, and of course...the classic grease canister that many of us grew up with on the kitchen counter. They are available in a number of top colors, pink, black, teal, yellow, and copper anodized bodies. I thought it was a perfect addition to my galley in the Kamp King. Yeah...I know the spice names are things that I probably won't have as regular users in the galley, but I'll just load them with what I want, probably flour, sugar and cinnamon. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: A vintage addition for a trailer galley.

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Very cool Doug. A detail that makes your trailers over the top! Well done.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby nevadatear » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:23 am

Doug those are way cool addition. It pays to take your time in the search and wait! Looking steller! :)
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 am

Love them! I have a set of flour, sugar, coffee and tea that I bought for our Vagabond. I have been looking for the spice jars. Good score Doug.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 am

Nice find Doug. Little details like that really set things off.

My latest find was one of these in decent condition.

But unfortunately my Dad liked it better than me! That's his wall its bolted to.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a Can-O-Mat myself Len! I just hope I remember where I have things in the wall to sink a screw into! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby len19070 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 pm

doug hodder wrote: I just hope I remember where I have things Doug

....Its happenin to you to Doug???? Hang in there. we're all in there together! :lol: :lol:

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:02 pm

That's the challenge I am dealing with right now too Doug. And even though I took a picture of my frame and drew all the dimensions on it, now I second guess myself and hold my breath every time I drill a hole.

Love the spice canisters. Perfect addition for this camper.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Although it needs sandblasted this Swing-a-way opener was in one of my other Kit teardrops and I re-installed in the newest version105312
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jeff0520 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm

doug hodder wrote:I had been looking around for these spice canisters for a while. There are lots of complete sets, but I only wanted a couple, not a whole set and I wanted them in mint condition. I found these 3 on E-bay...$5.25 for mint unused a full set of 8, used, typically runs $50+ or so. This line is called Kromex, there is lot of it around considering that they only made it from 1957 to about 1961. Mfg'd by Alcoa. They quit making it when Reynolds took over Alcoa.

Most of the used stuff can be really well used, dented and cracked tops and the spice canisters come with a rack. Also available is lots of larger canisters, cake storage, bread boxes, and of course...the classic grease canister that many of us grew up with on the kitchen counter. They are available in a number of top colors, pink, black, teal, yellow, and copper anodized bodies. I thought it was a perfect addition to my galley in the Kamp King. Yeah...I know the spice names are things that I probably won't have as regular users in the galley, but I'll just load them with what I want, probably flour, sugar and cinnamon. Doug

Our old house was built in the late 50's, has the original kitchen, and has that exact countertops, except in BRIGHT YELLOW with red and blue squiggles. :lol: That's definitely a vintage look.....one we intend to remodel right out of our house as soon as Laurie finds a good job. :lol:
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby Backroads4me » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I just love those vintage, retro spice and baking supplie canisters. While I wouldn't want to redo my kitchen counters with the squiggley's, I think it would be fun to use it on the teardrop slide out shelf! :)
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Alleged User » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 am

Neat little canisters. I love old kitchenware. :thumbsup:

My mom recently mentioned that she wished she had the little chrome 3-arm kitchen towel rack that used to hang over my grandmother's kitchen sink when we were all growing up. I looked on Etsy and Ebay, and the vintage ones were just silly expensive, for what they are.

Welp, I found a brand new one on Amazon...someone's still making them. 6 bucks. Looks exactly like my grandmother's old one. I may be getting another for myself, since it's just the right size for a teardrop galley, and the arms swing flush with the wall when it's time to close the hatch.

Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment