Any info on the Big Boy MFG. Co.

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Any info on the Big Boy MFG. Co.

Postby deleted » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:02 pm

If anyone knows anything about the Big Boy MFG. Co. in Burbank, CA I'd love to hear what you know. There's almost nothing about them on Google. I found this little BBQ grill online and was able to pick it up in Grand Rapids, MI on my way to pick up The Glampette. Other than that the company was around in the mid-1900's there's precious little about them out there.

More pictures in this blog post: http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/2013/06/be-still-my-glamping-heart-cutest.html
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Any info on the Big Boy MFG. Co.

Postby Zollinger » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Don't know nothing about the grill. But I LOVE it! Sorry I just have a thing for "Vintage" or "Retro" stuff.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Not very practical....but cool ASAP get out.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby coop74 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:54 pm

looks like cool ready made dutch oven table after you ditch the grill part. Or keep it and have dual purpose item.

Big Coop
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Sweet looking little grill.

I always like the pastel colors on the camping equipment.

Not much out there but here a few bits.

The grill was invented by
Persinger, Laverne O. (Burbank, CA)
Persinger, Merle L. (Glendale, CA)
Big Boy Manufacturing Co., Inc. (Burbank, CA)

Still not sure on the year yet.

some nice ( short ) reading here about a Moon wagon. Strange it looks like a grill.
Read question and answer starting at...
“ QUESTION: I have a metal Moon Wagon made by the Big Boy Manufacturing Company.”
http://www.harryrinker.com/col-1319.html

This book would be a nice book to go with that grill. Big Boy Barbecue Book - 1956 - “A Tested Recipe Institute Cookbook”

He also patented a gas grill in 1970

See big boys stuff on Ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=big ... 757&crdt=0

The 1955 Ad is kool.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Terry thanks for finding that Q&A. Really interesting read. And I didn't think to look on eBay for more info or items.

Big Coop I was thinking the same thing. The grill lifts straight out of the base so I could definitely use it as a Dutch oven table. Since I'll only be using a very small Dutch oven the size would be perfect.

Gerry I think it has potential though I agree, if I wanted to use it as a grill it would need some modifications to work more efficiently. Doable, but I'm more apt to use it as Big Coop suggested as a Dutch oven table or as a safe surface where I can set up my tiny, MSR Pocket Rocket, propane backpacking stove.

Dawn no problem. I feel the same way about vintage and retro items, especially when they're such pretty colors and so unique.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 am

Oh absolutely! It just looks awesome, I'd almost hesitate to use it in fear of diminishing its color and charm. I love that 50s kitch look. Back when America was free and chrome was thick.

Of course I'm sure the metal is 3 times as thick, and not some cheaply stamped steel junk is made from today....probably outlast my latest (and expensive) charbroil grill...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby deleted » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:44 am

I'd almost hesitate to use it in fear of diminishing its color and charm.

Me too!

If I use it with charcoal I was thinking of making some kind of metal liner with little feet to raise the coals off of the bottom of the tray to lessen the heat that touches that pretty paint. But using it as a fire safe table to place my tiny propane stove on won't cause it any damage at all so I may simply use it that way.

From the moment I saw it on Etsy, then having to convince the seller to let me buy it without all of the other pieces in the collection, I loved it so much the transaction felt more like an adoption than a purchase :lol:
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 pm

looks like a great color match to your planned paint scheme. Good score. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:11 am

Stacie, I noticed that it has a name of BigBoy and was made in Burbank, CA; so, it may have been some sort of promotional thing done by Bob's Big Boy restaurants or the two companies may be related. The color implies 1950's and that is when Bob's Big Boy, centered in the next town over, Glendale, was just getting really popular in the hamburgers and car hop angle. They still have some restaurants plus they bottle and sell their famous Big Boy blue cheese salad dressing in many supermarkets today. (French fries dipped in their blue cheese dressing was a favorite with many patrons.) Their main offices are still located in Glendale, CA. You might call or email them with a picture and see if they know anything about it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks for the suggestion Sharon but Terry was able to find some background on the company that leads me to believe it's not related to the Bob's Big Boy restaurant. But it is quite a coincidence that they were both located in the same area of Southern California. The question on this page about the Moon Wagon gives quite a bit of history about the Big Boy MFG company http://www.harryrinker.com/col-1319.html

Spot on KCStudly! Except now I've decided not to paint the trailer exterior :) Being at Fred's and seeing his other trailers made me want to leave mine bare too. Though the design was mine I want some of Fred's style to shine through too. I will add some graphics to include The Glampette's name. Other than that having the fenders, wheels, and chassis painted yellow and probably painting my folding metal chairs and table the aqua, and adding in the pink where I can I do intend to stick to the original color scheme, just applied in a modified format.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Its new and clean. Why not check into Vinyl Graphics.
If you provide the design It should cost less than paint in our area.

Its removable...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby deleted » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:32 am

Hi pchast! Thanks for the suggestion.

Vinyl is definitely something I've been considering. Even when I thought about painting the whole trailer I considered doing a wrap on the car to make it removable.

But, I'm kind of old school in many ways and as an artist myself would enjoy the opportunity to paint the details on the trailer. What I need to decide now is should I do them by hand, something I am already capable of doing, or challenge myself and take up an air brush for the first time? It would be easy enough to practice with the air brush on alternative canvases and when I'm ready even practice on a scrap of aluminum before painting directly onto the trailer. So many decisions to make!
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AceMan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:12 pm

AceMan
Platinum Donating Member

Postby deleted » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Wow. I guess BBQ is a dirty business in more ways than one. :lol:
deleted
1000 Club