Birthday Lantern Finds Me

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Well I’m sitting at my computer writing a polite letter to a E-bay seller about why I have not received that last lantern I won. A nice looking 200a 5-64 B-Day lanter. My neighbors grandson knocks on the door and ask if I knew how to change a starter. I told him I be over after I finish up on the computer and for him to go head a try to get the car up on some car ramps. So I’m under his car and fighting with a tight bolt. My neighbor ask me was I doing anything import before his grand son came and got me. I told him about the coleman lantern that has not showed up. He goes “I have two coleman in my shed”. I inform him this was a special date lanter, my birth day month and year 5-64. Next thing I know I pulls out a nice little home made box with a 200s in it, Dated … Drum roll please.... 5 - 65 Swing and a Miss. "Oh the other one must be the 64." He leans over the lawn mower and pull out a Sears 476.74070 modeled 5-64 Jackpot. Score and Score, and he gave them to me for putting in the starter. SCORE!

Now I can stop kicking my self in the butt for missing that 5-64 Sears without a globe and a broken collar on E-bay because my dog ran off chasing a cat. HA ha hahaha. Picture as found. + few extra goodies in the box as well.

Last edited by Junkboy999 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Birthday Lantern Finds Me

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm

The home made box has a wooden bottom, top and door. The sides are are just sheet metal with breaks in there to make them stronger. In the box was two home made reflectors made from strapping steel, some aluminum, and copper rivets. A ham pump for lantern or other PG appliance. An Aladdin Gaslight Mantel ( broken ), New genny and used genny. He threw in a Heating can for a 502 type stove and offered a coleman catalytic heater. It was buried in the corner of his shed. I did not get that because I’m not into them. Are they Dated? The box has two small plastic boxes glued in the bottom. One I think for mantles and the other for matches.

Clean lanterns pic next.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:27 pm

200a Globe

Sears Globe. Is this right for the lantern. If not I'm not worried

The 200a Vent is 100% perfect. The pump was working and the fount was still pressurized. Really to much pressure was in it. I could barely pump it. Both valves works, and the mantel is still good. I need to get some more CF but It should fire up. There some scratch on the fount from stuff in the case and the bail.

The Sears cage is loose so there is some loss of paint at the bottom of it. The check valve is stuck open. It will pressurize and both valves work but the fuel is coming from the bottom of the genny so I need to look into it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Money shot.

Well another rainy day and Kansas. Hot, Muggy, sticky and I have not even gone out side yet. I put CF in a few lanterns and when out to the front porch. The Nice (slant ) 200a I got off ebay just for the case that I broke the globe washing it. fired up on the second attempt. The 202 I have been working on for a while still did not do pick up fuel. It tested fine last week ,but I did not have any no spares mantels then. I guess it is coming back apart. And the 5-65 my neighbor gave me for helping fix his grandsons car. This baby is quiet and super bright, Probably the brightest I have. Must be some other mantel than Wally-worlds sells.

Ya I know. It is August and the X-max lights are still up. But at least I got a jump comes November damit!
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Zollinger » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:17 am

:thumbsup: Nice score. I guess it pays to be nice to your neighbors.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 am

Wow! Very nice. I'm still working on getting my first 200A. After that I will start working on a birthday lantern.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby danlott » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Congrats on your birthday lantern. Still hoping my 7/71 birthday lantern finds me.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:35 am

One thing I found out is they made some models of a Sears in July 1971. Seams months they ran a line of Sears thay stopped on of there other assembly lines. :(

still trying to get a list of all the dates.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment