New to this

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

New to this

Postby jseyfert3 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey all,
New both to TD's (1st one in HF trailer assembly state) and old Coleman stuff. Not sure what's "vintage" or not, so you tell me. It seemed a lot of people here get lanterns and stoves from Flea Markets, so yesterday I searched to see if Peoria had any. Wouldn't you know, it was today, so I went. I was looking for a Coleman white gas lantern and stove, I don't want propane. Here's what I got for $25:
Catalytic Heater by jseyfert3, on Flickr

Catalytic Heater Bottom by jseyfert3, on Flickr

Lantern by jseyfert3, on Flickr

Lantern Bottom by jseyfert3, on Flickr

I wasn't really interested in the heater, I doubt I'd use it. Perhaps as a garage heater. The guy saw me looking at them, said if I bought the heater ($25), he'd throw in the lantern ($20). I went to the ATM to get cash and while I was gone looked up the heater, looks like heaters may go for as much as $45 or so on eBay, so I figured I couldn't go wrong, assuming it works. The guy said he bought them from a basement, and when he picked them up the original boxes just fell apart. The lantern is what I'm interested in, I want at least one, maybe two, for camping use. I didn't realize till now that I didn't get the model of the lantern, it was 200 something.

Does the 69 (hard to see in pic) after the model 513 on the bottom of the heater mean it was made in 1969, and the 71 on the lantern bottom mean it was made in 1971?

One thing I forgot to do was try pumping up the lantern before I bought it, it seems like it's not pumping up, but I only tried for a bit and didn't check the location of any valves. I think I saw someone mentioned leather pump seals, and they may dry out and need oil? I note there is an oil hole on the pump, and the pump shaft looks like it could use oil, what sort of oil is used on the pump, and does that oil make the pump seal better?

Anything specific about this particular lantern/heater I should be aware of? Any reference place a newbie to these can look up older lanterns in the future, or any particular models that are special for some reason if I come across one at a garage sale/flea market?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Re: New to this

Postby campmaster-k » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Good stuff. Good work. 8)
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Zollinger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:43 am

:thumbsup: The catalytic heaters work good. Just be sure to light it outside and also have plenty of ventilation when it is lit. They get real HOT! Also a warning for you....be careful these heaters, stoves and lanterns breed while your back is turned. I'm not kidding! :D
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:51 am

Ok so lets get into it. The pump needs to be pulled out to see its condition. With a pair of needle nose plyers pull the half ring retainer clip and the pump will pull all the way out. Message some oil ( any kind really) I use 3in1, into the leather pump cup and re-assemble. Next check the fuel cap gasket.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:55 am

Once you do those things blow out the tank with compressed air, all valves closed. Then tie on some mantles fill it with CF twist the cleaner do-hickey a few times and light that suckka. Let the mantles burn to ash first then open the valve until fuel starts coming out. I recommend using a mini torch to light . Match are only for lanterns with a known personality.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby campmaster-k » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:58 am

If it lights and glows real bright look into the light and you will be under its spell for the rest of your life. 8)

Nice pictures by the way. :pictures:
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby logman7777 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Nice Finds! The only thing to be concerned with is to not use that catalytic heater in any small camper (or any air tight space). As stated above and from personal experience (I almost was asphyxiated by one in my Scotty Sportsman) dont use in small spaces.

Otherwise its a great heater and if you think that feeBay can recoup your Coleman seed money..Go for it! It will perpetuate your new hobby! :thumbsup:
Coleman Keepers 200A Gang
Green Lantern Corpsmen
High Wide and Handsome Probationary Member
Happy Camping!! -Andy
logman7777
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:43 am

Both appear to be in great shape. I say run 'um. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:31 am

campmaster-k wrote:Ok so lets get into it. The pump needs to be pulled out to see its condition. With a pair of needle nose plyers pull the half ring retainer clip and the pump will pull all the way out. Message some oil ( any kind really) I use 3in1, into the leather pump cup and re-assemble. Next check the fuel cap gasket.

No cracks, some wear showing on the bottom where the leather is bent. Looks like it could use some oil. How about...Cherry Jelly? :R (actually 5W-30 engine oil)

Pump Soaking in Oil by jseyfert3, on Flickr

My lantern is a model 220F, made in October, 1971. More then twice as old as me.
Model 220F; October, 1971 by jseyfert3, on Flickr

campmaster-k wrote:Once you do those things blow out the tank with compressed air, all valves closed. Then tie on some mantles fill it with CF twist the cleaner do-hickey a few times and light that suckka. Let the mantles burn to ash first then open the valve until fuel starts coming out. I recommend using a mini torch to light . Match are only for lanterns with a known personality.

Like this cool little pencil torch I got for $5 at Menards tonight? I had been wanting to get one, happened to walk by them, probably wouldn’t have really thought about getting one but I remembered what you said. Plus I really did want one...just because. I love playing with fire. :twisted:
Pencil Torch by jseyfert3, on Flickr

Of course, now I'm curious. Why light it with a mini torch instead of a match? To keep your fingers away?

campmaster-k wrote:If it lights and glows real bright look into the light and you will be under its spell for the rest of your life. 8)

Nice pictures by the way. :pictures:

Oh I know. It's one of the things I remember camping. I always liked pumping up my dad's Coleman and lighting it (ironically it was newer then this one), messing with the brightness when we didn't need it full, seeing how dim I could get it. I like this hiss as they run. I'm all for LED's for all sorts of uses, but when camping, there's just something about a pressurized lantern. :thumbsup:

And thanks. I enjoy taking pictures. :pictures:

Zollinger wrote::thumbsup: The catalytic heaters work good. Just be sure to light it outside and also have plenty of ventilation when it is lit. They get real HOT! Also a warning for you....be careful these heaters, stoves and lanterns breed while your back is turned. I'm not kidding! :D

logman7777 wrote:Nice Finds! The only thing to be concerned with is to not use that catalytic heater in any small camper (or any air tight space). As stated above and from personal experience (I almost was asphyxiated by one in my Scotty Sportsman) dont use in small spaces.

Otherwise its a great heater and if you think that feeBay can recoup your Coleman seed money..Go for it! It will perpetuate your new hobby! :thumbsup:

KCStudly wrote:Both appear to be in great shape. I say run 'um. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I want to run the heater to make sure it runs, but I see no need for it right now. 6000 BTU/hr output and needs ventilation, a 120 V 1500 W space heater puts out 5100 BTU/hr and needs no ventilation. I suppose it could be useful as a house heater with caution for power outages. Or I could see how much it's worth to sell and buy more lanterns with the money, I want at least two to bring camping, plus the big hats look cool...

...I'm gonna end up with a lot of lanterns and stoves, aren't I? :frightened: :D
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:40 am

My guess is the thing about the torch is that you can get the flame in there and really preheat the generator much easier. Plain lighters and matches only reach in so far and you can build up some gas in there before it lights.... whoomphhh. Good to lean back a bit until you learn a particular lanterns preferences... if you like your eyebrows.

Also, always light an unfamiliar lantern outside the first few times, make sure there are no leaks or surprises.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm

KCStudly wrote:My guess is the thing about the torch is that you can get the flame in there and really preheat the generator much easier. Plain lighters and matches only reach in so far and you can build up some gas in there before it lights.... whoomphhh. Good to lean back a bit until you learn a particular lanterns preferences... if you like your eyebrows.

Also, always light an unfamiliar lantern outside the first few times, make sure there are no leaks or surprises.

Yes its what KC said. Also the torch gives a constant positive ignition source that will keep and CF burning instead of building up.

If you turn on the gas and the match goes out a lot of fuel will build up in the cage while you are fiddling around trying to get another match lit. With a torch you are in control not the lantern.

I preheat ALL generators. Not only is it safer, but its keeps the lantern clean -- no flame up leaving black soot all over.
-Kirk

Build thread -

Check out my Pictures -

campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby jseyfert3 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Ah, makes sense.

Good news! After soaking in oil, it still didn't seem to be pumping, so using [url-http://www.oldtowncoleman.com/tech/trouble_resistance.htm]this guide[/url] I inverted the pump leather so it made a tiny umbrella shape, then put it back in the oil. It soaked overnight until now. I bent it back to the shape it's supposed to be, except now it was wider, wiped off the oil from the shaft and patted the excess off the leather, stuck it back in and it was pumping. Pumped it up (no fuel), opened the valve and I could hear the air hissing out. :thumbsup:

I'd love to attach the mantels, get some fuel in it, and light it up, but I really need to start the second coat of paint on the ceiling so I can get it done, and perhaps some of the walls, before the sun goes down. Halogen lighting is great but casts a lot of shadows you don't get with sunlight through the window.

Oh, and the tip cleaner. My dad's lantern didn't have this. As I understand, you simply rotate it a couple of times before lighting? And you are supposed to leave the main fuel valve full open (after lighting) and use the tip cleaner to adjust the brightness?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Zollinger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 pm

:shhh: Did you know that you can test the lantern before putting on mantles? Just don't run it for more than a few minutes.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jseyfert3 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Zollinger wrote::shhh: Did you know that you can test the lantern before putting on mantles? Just don't run it for more than a few minutes.

I did not, as the title says, I'm new to this. :D I don't see why that would be needed though, it's now pumping up.

While I went off to paint, I didn't release the pressure. Finished painting (2nd coat of flat white on the ceiling, very hard to see what I had done and what needed to be done), came back, and opened the valve up, and heard air hissing again. So it seems it's holding air. All that's left is a trip to Walmart to grab a gallon of Coleman Fuel and fire it up. :thumbsup:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby jseyfert3 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Is the generator the smaller tube in the center, or the U-shaped assembly on top?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment