how many coleman lanterns for a trailer house?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: how many coleman lanterns for a trailer house?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:29 am

I grew up filling those damn things up. What about going with propane lights?
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:31 am

Slow, you need to be careful using Colemans for inside lighting. You need to worry about suffocation in small spaces. Be sure to allow enough ventilation.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Slow, you need to be careful using Colemans for inside lighting. You need to worry about suffocation in small spaces. Be sure to allow enough ventilation.

This. And you only need one lantern. Just move it to where you are going. Well, maybe two. Light the second when you want the first to cool for fueling.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:17 am

Propane lights are much quieter than Coleman lights. One less daily chore.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:16 pm

It might be better to work on a solar set-up for your new house. Sun energy is free and much safer.

But, if you feel a need for propane lanterns, I would think 2 would be more than enough. You only need light in the room that you are in plus a light that you can carry with you to the bathroom or bedroom.

Just my 2 cents. Please be careful and stay safe.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GerryS » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:10 am

I'm a belt and suspenders guy. I like options. Standard 110 lights, followed by Low voltage lighting then when that fails resort to flame. Flame is more dangerous, and produces a lot of heat, which may be desirable but not in July.

As far as flame light goes, I prefer hurricane lamps to a lantern. Lanterns are finicky, and noisy but they are brighter. So use them when they are appropriate. Whichever route you go, or all of the above, make sure you have extra wicks or mantles on most of all fuel on hand.

How many? I per person plus 1 for the house.....and maybe one in reserve. Use yours until the fuel runs low, then switch it out for the houses lamp....when yours cools fuel it and replace the house lamp with it.

Think ahead....think fuel transfer pump instead of funnel, keep lighters and matches available...the thought of pouring fuel routinely scares me...the thought of spilling and accidental fire would be a huge risk if you had to do that in poor lighting, especially if flame was the source of that light.

My wife and I have one Coleman lantern (and several gallons of white gas) and 4 lamps...we used to like Deitz, but they moved ther presses to china...now, I buy "fire hand" lamps...very similar to Deitz, but made in Germany....not America, but at least from a country that doesn't have evil intent as I believe china does...

Also remember oil lamps are a lot more versatile in terms of fuel as well, although I stick to lamp oil...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:40 pm

:pictures: please.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:07 pm

I have lived in a few to many trailer houses and I would not worry about ventilation. Trailer houses will only slow the wind down a little as it passes through.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Thu May 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:I have lived in a few to many trailer houses and I would not worry about ventilation. Trailer houses will only slow the wind down a little as it passes through.

Randy

Truer words have never been spoken. I lived in one with my sister for a short period. It had all kinds of holes in the siding that were sealed up with silicone caulk. The holes were from the debris thrown by the tornado that went through the Kmart store across the street a few years before my parents bought it for my sister to live in. We were in the movie theatre on the other side of the Kmart when the tornado went through. When we came out, half of the Kmart and the front two rows of the trailer park were gone.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu May 01, 2014 8:51 pm

I thought about building a trailer house park. Call it "Tornado Alley" and the symbol would be a bulls eye. Think it would sell?
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Fri May 02, 2014 4:53 am

I agree with Sharon, I would go with solar and wind, you live in the perfect place for both. save fuel/vapors/fumes for back up. If you can build and wire a tear, solar/wind is not much harder these days.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

how many coleman lanterns for a trailer house?

Postby GerryS » Sat May 03, 2014 6:09 am

If I ever find a place to put it, I want to build a cabin....probably have 110 for air conditioner and running those things that 12 volt simply won't work....power tools and margarita blenders.

Look at the big RVs for lighting...12 volt fixtures are pretty classy now, using solar and wind to generate electricity to change the batteries. The thought of propane as primary lighting isn't appealing. Fumes and heat just are too much to deal with. Of course, having lanterns is still a must, in case you need to use that 12 volt for something better or it simply isn't available because of no sun or wind for a period of time.

Propane has it's place (refrigeration and indoor cooking) but I'm not so sure about it for lighting....there seem to be much better alternatives to primary light that have less downsides...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dratkinson » Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 am

I vote against NG/propane lighting. Read an article recently that said it left a dull film on everything that was a pain to clean off. Sorry, don't remember source.

If you need liquid fuel lighting, try an Alladin lamp (~60W bulb equivalent). Lots of light, but also lots of heat. I have two always ready to go, plus a couple of #2 flat-wick kerosene lamps (~25W bulb equivalent). I burn Klean Heat in both (~$11/gal at Home Depot).

I like the solar/battery/light idea. Here is one man's solution to the solar panels, battery, inverter, lighting problem.

"Case Study - Sizing a system for a pop-up camper trailer"
http://www.otherpower.com/popup.html

In above, the author uses an inverter and compact florescent lamps (CFLs). However, you might be able to find 12v LED bulbs and save the expense of the inverter. (Don't use 12v filament bulbs. Too much current draw.) Search for "bright 12v LED light"

Ignorance speaking here, so be cautioned. If the 12v LED bulbs don't exist, or are too expensive, you could make your own. How? I believe it requires 3v to light a white-light LED die. So 4 of them, wired in series should run off of 12v. (You may need a resistor to drop the current to be correct for the LED string.) Gang as many 4-LED strings together as needed to get the brightness you want.

Another idea. I was recently looking for some bright LED backup lights for my truck. They do exist, so maybe one (or a few) of those would do what you need. Seem to recall they were ~$20/each. (I'm sure they are doing what above idea suggests: wire 3v LED dies in series to work off 12v. Haven't ordered them yet so don't know how well they work.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/truck-lights-lamps/

However, the inverter idea would let you use small appliances: radio, small microwave, etc. Really, the small microwave can be used (according to above author) because it is only used for a few minutes a day.

Seem to recall reading you fished with a trolling motor/battery, so you are half way there. Just need a solar panel and some 12v LED lights. Could wire your trailer from the battery with extension cords and pull switches as an expedient. Would need to watch extension cord polarity and length.
dratkinson
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 am

If one uses the Aladdin lamps remember that if you are above about 3000 feet in elevation you need either the tall chimney or use aluminum foil to make an extension about 2-4 inches long.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby dguff » Tue May 06, 2014 2:15 pm

slowcowboy wrote:with me single and getting the trailer house. I am on the ranch here in pavillion going to have to do to where to put the thingy probaly going to have to go off grid till I can find a place to buy to put the trailer house.

I am wandering how many coleman lanterns would it take to light up a 14 x 70 single wide trailer house?

I got lots of old ideas for camping off grid in my new house.

slow

Two.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment