Vintage Windows and Doors

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Vintage Windows and Doors

Postby Terri » Fri May 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello, My husband and I just purchased a 1969 Travel Mate Camper and due to the amount of damage are completely gutting this and building it back up. Lots of work, but we will have a new trailer when we are done. The problem that we are having right now is finding vintage doors and windows to replace the old ones. I have searched the internet front and back and it's pretty hard to locate these items. Any good sights that may not come up with a normal search? If we can't find replacement windows we may make our own. Has anyone ever made their own window frames before and if so, can you give me some information on how you did this?

Thanks! :worship: :roll:

trailer01small.jpg
trailer01small.jpg (123.21 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Terri
Silver Donating Member

Re: Vintage Windows and Doors

Postby doug hodder » Sat May 24, 2014 8:44 am

If you have the window structure, your best bet is to rebuild it. Even if you find an old window, chances are, it's going to have to be rebuilt also. Vintage trailer supply has a lot of the parts necessary for the rebuild. I've also found crank mechanisms just by searching RV windows. For a door, I'd just pull the existing one and build another to match, skin it with the original skin and reuse the hinge and handle. An old trailer isn't like an old car. You can't just find the same model sitting in a junk yard for parts. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Terri » Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks Doug, I think you have a point there. Terri
Terri
Silver Donating Member

Postby Terri » Tue May 27, 2014 5:50 pm

I found replacement windows and think we might be able to save the door.....now we just need to find new siding for a reasonable price. Any ideas?
Terri
Silver Donating Member

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment