Where to buy white gasoline (Coleman Camp Fuel)?

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Re: Where to buy white gasoline (Coleman Camp Fuel)?

Postby GerryS » Thu May 14, 2015 4:48 am

Ace hardware and the local big box store (Meijer) is where we get it....and I always buy as much as I can when it is on seasonal close out....I've got 4 or 5 gallons in storage. I haven't had a problem is degradation...my old works was well as the new.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu May 14, 2015 9:24 am

Guess I had better buy a few gallons of the Coleman fluid. I have never have seen where there is not stock in the typical stores here in VA but just in case, I will put some aside.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri May 15, 2015 5:53 pm

One of the drawbacks is that Coleman fuel can be used in meth cooking. Consequently, many stores have quit carrying it and it will eventually be gone. Personally, I hope the tweekers blow themselves up with it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby lrrowe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:55 pm

To bump,up an older post, I just want to add that I pruchased a gallon of the Coleman fluid from Cabelas in Hamburg, PA last week. They had plently in stock but the price was $17 for the gallon. I did have sticker shock.
I did buy a gallon to hoard.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:57 pm

You can buy the same stuff branded as shellite here in Australia . hopefully thats of some help to you,and yes its expensive too
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am

So, let me ask a question.

I've been told many times that regular gasoline will degrade quickly. That I shouldn't bother carrying a gas can in the car. But, the gauges in my VWs are not totally accurate and I have run out of gas in every one I've owned. So I want to carry a can. Will the "white" gas work in an old VW? Seems it would be the kind to carry if it can go years without degrading. I think there is a gas station on the other side of town that carries gas without ethanol. Will that keep a long time?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 am

Not sure if non alcohol gas will store longer. More sure that you should not use white gas in the VW. From what I can tell white gas has a very low octane number which will cause high compression motors to knock. Some enough that they will destroy temselves very quickly. And most every auto since WWII would be considered high compression. I often have gas here for 6 months or more and have not had problems and from my experience with old VWs they will probably hardly notice. If the gas does not stink to high heaven it will probably work. Or every six - nine months use your emergency supply. Probably can put some fuel stabilizer in your emergency supply but that is an additional cost and bother. And I would not think it would last nearly as long as white gas would any way.

Just my 2 cents.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Jim.Johnson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm

rebapuck wrote:So, let me ask a question.

I've been told many times that regular gasoline will degrade quickly. That I shouldn't bother carrying a gas can in the car. But, the gauges in my VWs are not totally accurate and I have run out of gas in every one I've owned. So I want to carry a can. Will the "white" gas work in an old VW? Seems it would be the kind to carry if it can go years without degrading. I think there is a gas station on the other side of town that carries gas without ethanol. Will that keep a long time?

One of the problems with most gasoline now is the alcohol content. As it sits in storage it accumulates water which is not your friend in any engine. I agree that the best solution is to regularly use your reserve supply and the replenish it.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MtnDon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Reba, to address your issue. Use this website to find a station where you can buy alcohol free gasoline. I use the alcohol free fuel in all my small engines. They just seem to run better. I find it is fine even a year after I buy it. I cycle whatever is in any of my portable cans through the truck every memorial day and every labor day just to be safe.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dales133 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Ive had gas in a well sealed can for close on 12 months ive used in my chainsaw
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:25 pm

According to a Wikipedia article naptha, which is what Coleman fuel is, has an octance rating of 50 - 55. Not any good for an auto engine.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun May 08, 2016 10:42 pm

My brother is into old lanterns, he and a friend are distilling their own white gas. It is easy to do, just google to see how people are doing it. My bro sets up his still in a field where if something goes wrong, no damage done.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Previous

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment