Rear door teardrop

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Rear door teardrop

Postby Photophobic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:07 am

I've had trouble accepting the idea of climbing in over the bed during inclimate weather and setting up an awning is more often not going to be an option so I wanted to be able to enter without getting my bedding wet and this is what I came up with. 5ft wide, 10ft long 4ft tall

shelving/storage in blue, not sure why the headboard compartment is rendering wrong but you can get a good idea.

There will be windows in the side (trying to find a source for opening emergency exit window)

Galley hatch is most likely going to be split so only half has to be opened, the entry through the rear bulkhead is 26w32h so still as big as a side door just allowing me a 2ft "mud room"
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
https://www.instagram.com/paul_brousseau/
Photophobic
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rear door teardrop

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 am

I would rather go with a double door set up on side doors. Having a very light gull-wing type door outside your regular door. The gull-wing would not have to be water tight when down and would flip up quickly with a pole that flips down to support it. Zero setup time with no crawling on your Knees. A plus would be with a shower curtain you would have a (5 foot high) changing(shower-potty)room. I may just add the gull-wing to mine.
Last edited by KennethW on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KennethW
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:38 am

We've camped in inclement weather numerous times but I don't recall this ever being a problem. You panhandle guys see a lot more, I suppose.

I just put my boots in a garbage sack when it's nasty.

Teardrops get stuffy. Two doors with two screened in windows (and a top vent) work. So if you stick with this plan, make sure you have two screened windows. Side doors are easy to enter/exit in a tear. Sit down and swing in...not sure I'd like crawling into a den.

Don't get me wrong though, creativity is a good thing with customizing a 'drop.

Tony
tony.latham
Silver Donating Member

Postby Photophobic » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Gull wings to the side is an interesting idea, if only from the wall (leaving a solid roof) it would be easy enough to do, strip & towel off outside and put everything in a bag. This might also be an option to make a normal window an escape window rather than a primary door...

My experience is coming from Colorado more than the panhandle (only been here a year); sudden downpour from a blue sky. Taking boots off as you get in isn't a big deal but when you're soaked to the bone the blankets and memory sponge mattress are going to stay wet for a long time.

I do have plans for a fantastic fan on the high point and screened windows on each side (and a small foot vent to guarantee circulation) just don't have sizes and haven't learned CAD well enough to show them properly.
Paul

Photophobic photographer looking for adventure.
https://www.instagram.com/paul_brousseau/
Photophobic
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Photophobic wrote:Gull wings to the side is an interesting idea, if only from the wall (leaving a solid roof) it would be easy enough to do, strip & towel off outside and put everything in a bag. This might also be an option to make a normal window an escape window rather than a primary door....

I was thinking the gull wing would be more like a second side hinged on the top. That would be cover most of the side when down. When up it would cover a fairly large area. Maybe a 1" foam with PMF covering. :thinking:
KennethW
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs