Collapsable Hard Tent?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby scottyp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:50 am

oh, and the Samurai/Sidekick (thinking sidekick since it'd have a/c) would be getting a VW Turbodiesel in it that I'm going to convert to be able to use biodiesel
scottyp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:29 am

Scottyp, the Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker are fun vehicles. I just sold my Tracker to a guy by a Mt. Hood ski resort. He is going to put snowcat tracks on it and use it for grooming cross-counrty skiing trails.

I'm currently watching for a Samurai. I like the idea of a diesel VW motor in one. My father-in-law tells about driving his old rabbit pickup from FL to CA on a couple of tanks of diesel.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby scottyp » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:51 pm

yeah I'm either going to do a tear or an explorer box, I'm not sure which one I like better, the explorer box would obviously be lighter, but I orignally got into this idea based on the tear, plus the tear has a hard top and whatnot. Both have serious cool factor though ; )
scottyp
Teardrop Inspector

Light Material

Postby jml79 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 am

I have done a lot of work on boats and a lot of research on aircraft construction. Simple extruded polystyrene (i think i spelled it right) insulation boards in the 1-2" range with some form of puncture resistant outer coating (light fibreglass layer or 1/8" luan door skin) would likely give you all of the structural rigidity you would need. Boats and even some very fast aircraft have used this cheap foam for years, And before the flaming starts I know that PVC and other foams are more common in both industries but I can give examples where EPS is used very successfully as a structural reinforcement or core not just flotation.
jml79
Teardrop Builder

Re: Light Material

Postby brian_bp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 pm

jml79 wrote:I have done a lot of work on boats and a lot of research on aircraft construction. Simple extruded polystyrene (i think i spelled it right) insulation boards in the 1-2" range with some form of puncture resistant outer coating (light fibreglass layer or 1/8" luan door skin) would likely give you all of the structural rigidity you would need...

See ultra lightweight floating popup camper for a current example of this construction applied to a tiny travel trailer.

Yes, it is "extruded polystyrene". :thumbsup:
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby H@nk » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:54 am

Something like this, Maybe?
http://www.warmoltz.nl/rapido/rapido.htm

It's in Dutch, but made in France, so perhaps availeble in Canada
Old bread isn't hard, no bread, that's hard.
H@nk
The 300 Club

Re: Light Material

Postby jml79 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:10 am

brian_bp wrote:
jml79 wrote:I have done a lot of work on boats and a lot of research on aircraft construction. Simple extruded polystyrene (i think i spelled it right) insulation boards in the 1-2" range with some form of puncture resistant outer coating (light fibreglass layer or 1/8" luan door skin) would likely give you all of the structural rigidity you would need...

See ultra lightweight floating popup camper for a current example of this construction applied to a tiny travel trailer.

Yes, it is "extruded polystyrene". :thumbsup:

That is an awesome build, thanks.
jml79
Teardrop Builder

Postby jay » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:02 am

[quote="PaulC"]...100lbs of lead ..and see if you can lift it onto the roof .....[/quote]

i've cartopped a 100# boat and it's no day on the lake

http://www.vintageprojects.com/misc/pop ... shell.html
jay
Donating Member

Postby navigator » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:38 am

Came across this site for Lofty Shelters, a company that makes several versions of roof-top tents (some with hard shells):

http://www.loftyshelters.com/IndexFrame.htm

And their 44-page PDF catalog:

http://www.loftyshelters.com/images/Aut ... atalog.PDF

And their US distributor (Nevada):

http://www.autohomeus.com/

The average price of $2,500 might be a bit of a deterent...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs