My Giant Teardrop build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:10 pm

For those of you concerned about my weight...of the trailer...ahhh thank you...I've taken measures to try and remedy some of that.
I BOUGHT A NEW GRINDER!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm gonna lose some of the middle braces, add ons, and a couple of cross braces that are really close to another. I've also came to the realization that there are no "miracle cure" for rust without a little elbow grease. So....classes for my daughter, in the art of drill use, begins this week end. :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby swissarmygirl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Ivar the Red wrote: So....classes for my daughter, in the art of drill use, begins this week end. :lol:

Hurry up....I noticed with my daughter that the novelty wore off more and more quickly as she approached those dreaded teen years! Now, she wouldn't be caught dead in my garage!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby angib » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:34 am

Buy your daughter some sturdy work gloves and show her how to use the angle grinder (with a thick grinding, not a thin cutting disc) - it's ten times less work to use that than a wire brush and makin' sparks is fun.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:02 pm

angib wrote:Buy your daughter some sturdy work gloves and show her how to use the angle grinder ...

... or at least get a wire brush for the angle grinder, rather than the drill; it's a much better-suited tool. Don't forget the googles or face shield to go with the gloves.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby del » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:10 pm

brian_bp wrote:
angib wrote:Buy your daughter some sturdy work gloves and show her how to use the angle grinder ...

... or at least get a wire brush for the angle grinder, rather than the drill; it's a much better-suited tool. Don't forget the googles and face shield to go with the gloves.
Those wire wheels tend to let go of wires, that are aimed straight at the users face, and they hurt, trust me.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Hey Del, do ya think this build thread will be as big as yours? :lol: :lol: :lol: Shootin for the stars. 8)
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:21 pm

del wrote:
brian_bp wrote:

... or at least get a wire brush for the angle grinder, rather than the drill; it's a much better-suited tool. Don't forget the googles and face shield to go with the gloves.
Those wire wheels tend to let go of wires, that are aimed straight at the users face, and they hurt, trust me.

del

Right, I've got safety glasses for me from work, but she'll have a face shield on as well.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:Hey Del, do ya think this build thread will be as big as yours? :lol: :lol: :lol: Shootin for the stars. 8)
Mine is still growing, maybe someday it will be as many pages as Steve's puffin thread (a longer thread than mine) :lol: So build, have fun, and post your progress.

del

ps do make sure your daughter uses safety gear when using power tools.
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby tbeau » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:36 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:For those of you concerned about my weight...of the trailer...ahhh thank you...I've taken measures to try and remedy some of that.
I BOUGHT A NEW GRINDER!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm gonna lose some of the middle braces, add ons, and a couple of cross braces that are really close to another. I've also came to the realization that there are no "miracle cure" for rust without a little elbow grease. So....classes for my daughter, in the art of drill use, begins this week end. :lol:

You could also get the neigbors involved
The littlest one is my neighbor she just used a wire brush.
Her older brothers did help at different times though.
tbeau
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:43 pm

Ahhh, but all the neighbor kids around here are teen age girls...so I think I'm outta luck there. Maybe if I were better lookin. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Been reading through a "building the floor thread" but is there a simple yes or no answer to whether or not to bolt the floor directly to the frame?
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:Been reading through a "building the floor thread" but is there a simple yes or no answer to whether or not to bolt the floor directly to the frame?
YES
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:12 pm

del wrote:
Ivar the Red wrote:Been reading through a "building the floor thread" but is there a simple yes or no answer to whether or not to bolt the floor directly to the frame?
YES

Unless, of course, you want to "dual purpose" the trailer. Some do. I like the "direct connect" plan, myself.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
del wrote:
YES

Unless, of course, you want to "dual purpose" the trailer. Some do. I like the "direct connect" plan, myself.

OK
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby del » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:02 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
del wrote:
YES

OK
Was my answer to long?
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs